Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 06-19-2018, 09:51 AM   #141
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
But Brady was being touted as a top prospect before Tkachuk established himself in the NHL.
But Matthew Tkachuk had already established himself as a scoring star in both the USNDP and the CHL. It is not at all surprising if his successes at these lower levels also had a big impact on viewings of Brady.

With how consistently better Matthew Tkachuk has been offensively at every level I would be very surprised if his younger brother ended up the better scorer in the NHL. From my limited viewings of Brady Tkachuk at the U-19 Championship, he does not strike me as a special scoring talent in the same way that his older brother is. He may have the upper hand in skating and size, but Matthew Tkachuk's hands and his mind for the game are on another level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project

Last edited by Textcritic; 06-19-2018 at 09:55 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2018, 10:11 AM   #142
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
But Matthew Tkachuk had already established himself as a scoring star in both the USNDP and the CHL. It is not at all surprising if his successes at these lower levels also had a big impact on viewings of Brady.

With how consistently better Matthew Tkachuk has been offensively at every level I would be very surprised if his younger brother ended up the better scorer in the NHL. From my limited viewings of Brady Tkachuk at the U-19 Championship, he does not strike me as a special scoring talent in the same way that his older brother is. He may have the upper hand in skating and size, but Matthew Tkachuk's hands and his mind for the game are on another level.
Who says he will be or needs to be a better scorer though?

Maybe a significant part of his value is the belief in his ability to take a regular shift. A player who brings half the offense tkachuk does but bring elements of the rest of his game is still a valuable player, if you get the offense as well, great. If you don't, you have some assurance that his mix of size and speed will make him an effective player even if he isn't a top line scorer.

I can definitely see why he is ranked where he is.

Guys receive a boost in their perceived scouting because of family relations in the league, but guys don't get top 5 pick billing unless they are at least comparable to their peers in that group.
Old 06-19-2018, 10:22 AM   #143
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Matthew had the distinct advantage of playing with elite prospects in the USNTDP and in the CHL, a very real advantage that Brady didn't have. That is why some people were saying that Tkachuk is just 'feeding off' of the elite talent he got to play with for his draft. Those were the people that didn't actually see him play and didn't see HOW he played with those players, but they have since been proven wrong. Just compare the teams between the two brothers. It isn't even close.

Matthew's HockeyDB:
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...php?pid=170348

Brady's HockeyDB:
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...php?pid=187580

Matthew's ability to play with top-tier talent and contribute in a number of different ways is what made him a special player at the draft, and why he was ranked where he was. Other players with even better stat lines are often ranked much lower.

I think Brady is the real deal. Is he better than Matthew? I don't think so, but time will tell. He is a fantastic prospect on his own and deserves the ranking he has. Would I trade Dougie Hamilton for him? Absolutely not, but I can see the appeal.
Old 06-19-2018, 10:26 AM   #144
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
Who says he will be or needs to be a better scorer though?

Maybe a significant part of his value is the belief in his ability to take a regular shift. A player who brings half the offense tkachuk does but bring elements of the rest of his game is still a valuable player, if you get the offense as well, great. If you don't, you have some assurance that his mix of size and speed will make him an effective player even if he isn't a top line scorer.

I can definitely see why he is ranked where he is.

Guys receive a boost in their perceived scouting because of family relations in the league, but guys don't get top 5 pick billing unless they are at least comparable to their peers in that group.
If you're drafting in the top 5 and you end up with a 25 point player you are going to be disappointed (look no further than Sam Bennett).

I think Brady will be better than that, but just pointing out that you aren't trying to draft that type of player in the top 5. You want a game breaker.

I don't think Brady will ever match the offense Matthew brings, but he will be a big, mean, tough to play against forward with some skill as well.
Old 06-19-2018, 10:33 AM   #145
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bax View Post
If you're drafting in the top 5 and you end up with a 25 point player you are going to be disappointed (look no further than Sam Bennett).

I think Brady will be better than that, but just pointing out that you aren't trying to draft that type of player in the top 5. You want a game breaker.

I don't think Brady will ever match the offense Matthew brings, but he will be a big, mean, tough to play against forward with some skill as well.
I agree, but they aren't drafting him with the belief he will be a 25 point guy. Part of his value, maybe the majority, is the perceived likely hood that even if he ends up being a 30 point player, he will be closer to a killorn/Tierney 30 point player and not a Colborne 30 point player if that makes sense.

Worse than drafting a 30 point player top 5 is drafting a guy who doesn't take a shift in the league top 5.
Old 06-19-2018, 10:41 AM   #146
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
And fuel up the Jet for him and Conroy.
Blowing the dust off an oldie

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Split98 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2018, 10:51 AM   #147
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wretched34 View Post
Pretty sure it was Matt himself who said it in some interviews, and I really think it's just him pumping his brothers tires, because there is absolutely no evidence to back it up.

US National Under-17 Team
Matt GP: 33 G:5 A:12 Pts:17
Brady GP: 32 G: 4 A:4 Pts: 8

US National Under-18 Team
Matt GP 24 G: 13 A:20 Pts: 33
Brady GP 24 G: 12 A: 11 Pts:23

18 Year old Season
Matt - OHL - GP 57 G:30 A:77 Pts:107 Playoffs GP: 18 G:20 A:20 Pts:40
Brady - Boston U - GP 40 G:8 A:23 Pts:31

So, Matt and Brady put up similar goal totals on the US National development teams, but Matt blew him away in total points.

In their draft years, Matt put up a total of 50 goals and 97 assists for 147 points in his OHL Season/Playoffs, while Brady put up 31 points in college hockey.

NHLE shows 147 point in 75 OHL games to translate to 49.18 Points in the NHL. (First two season: 48pts, 49pts.)
Brady's 31 points in Hockey-East translate to 23.89 Points.

Matt Finished 5th in OHL regular season points, and second in the playoffs, 4 points behind linemate Mitch Marner
Brady didn't finish in the top 10 in Hockey East scoring, though was 4th in Assists.

I'm sure Brady will become a decent NHL player, but I see him being much closer to the development path of Sam Bennett than I do of his brother. 3 years from now, whoever drafts Brady Tkachuk top 5 is going to be complaining the same way some do about Bennett going #4.
And we could pick him up for that year's equivalent to Brodie?

Tkachuk - Tavares - Tkachuk

Old 06-19-2018, 11:06 AM   #148
Demetric
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Joshua Marshall

@JMarshyBosco93
Follow Follow @JMarshyBosco93
More
.@Senators & @NHLFlames News: I’m told that the #Sens & #Flames are working on a deal. The names of D TJ Brodie & RW Mark Stone keep coming up, not too sure if those will be the moving pieces. More to come.

apparently he got the Hoffman trade right ... so (crosses fingers)
Old 06-19-2018, 11:10 AM   #149
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well, that fill a RW spot for sure. Isn't he in need of a new deal too?

Whats that gonna look like? pretty consistent 60 point guy. 6m a year?
Old 06-19-2018, 11:11 AM   #150
theslymonkey
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demetric View Post
Joshua Marshall

@JMarshyBosco93
More
.@Senators & @NHLFlames News: I’m told that the #Sens & #Flames are working on a deal. The names of D TJ Brodie & RW Mark Stone keep coming up, not too sure if those will be the moving pieces. More to come.

And who is this guy?
Old 06-19-2018, 11:11 AM   #151
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Joshua Marshall

@JMarshyBosco93
More

if this happens, I will be so happy! Exactly the type of player we need.
Old 06-19-2018, 11:12 AM   #152
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Joshua Marshall

@JMarshyBosco93
More

If we get Mark Stone I'd be ecstatic - perfect age/player for this group right now.

Ultra talented, strong 200 ft game, can play physical.
Old 06-19-2018, 11:13 AM   #153
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan87 View Post
if this happens, I will be so happy! Exactly the type of player we need.
For exactly the kind of player the Flames can afford to give up.

It just seems so perfect that it couldn't possibly be true...could it? If things are really blowing up the way they seem to be in Ottawa, then maybe. Just maybe...

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
The Following User Says Thank You to Yamer For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2018, 11:13 AM   #154
mdubz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Joshua Marshall

@JMarshyBosco93
More

Guy has 1000 followers, not sure how legit he is. Also just posted that the Oilers are working a deal to get Parayko from St Louis...
Old 06-19-2018, 11:13 AM   #155
Funkhouser
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
If we get Mark Stone I'd be ecstatic - perfect age/player for this group right now.

Ultra talented, strong 200 ft game, can play physical.
Brodie and Stone
for
Stone
Old 06-19-2018, 11:15 AM   #156
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Joshua Marshall is not legit at all IMO.

He expands on rumors and speculation that are already out there, so if it does come through he looks kind of right.
Old 06-19-2018, 11:15 AM   #157
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post
For exactly the kind of player the Flames can afford to give up.

It just seems so perfect that it couldn't possibly be true...could it? If things are really blowing up the way they seem to be in Ottawa, then maybe. Just maybe...
I think so, especially if they are planning on trading Karlsson, they do need some defense.

Tkachuk-Jankowski-Stone

That is a line that I would like to see. Then, maybe we can try and get JVR or Neal for the top line on a good deal.

Gaudreau-Monahan-Neal/JVR/Kovalchuk/Nash

The third line should also be Ferland-Backlund-Foo

The fourth line should be centered by Shore... then a chance given to Lazar, Mangiapane, Klimchuk, Hathaway on the wings

As for Brouwer, Bennett, and Frolik... try to trade Brouwer for a 7th (or buyout) .... Bennett and Frolik for picks in 2018

Last edited by keenan87; 06-19-2018 at 11:24 AM.
Old 06-19-2018, 11:21 AM   #158
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Joshua Marshall

@JMarshyBosco93
This is the guy that has gotten a few things right the last year or 2, but generally seems to post rumours with a shotgun strategy.

Over the last 3 days he's claimed:
EDM is finalizing a Lucic trade (then suggests 1 for 1 with Seabrook),
EDM is talking with STL about Parayko,
EDM is going to try and sign Chimera,

CGY is talking with OTT about Hoffman,
CGY is talking with NYR about Hayes,
CGY has been taking calls on Brodie, Bennett, Ferland, and Stone
CGY is going to try and sign JVR (will offer 5/6 years at $6.5M),
CGY is going to try and sign Derek Ryan (who wants 3 years at $2-$2.5M)
Old 06-19-2018, 11:22 AM   #159
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

I proposed that basis for a trade earlier today. Imo you add whatever it takes to brodie to get stone here.

I would lay it out like this:

Tkachuk-monahan-gaudreau
Ferland-jankowski-Stone
Bennett-Backlund-Frolik

The second/third lines would be interchangeable. Stone and ferland have chemistry going back to junior and jankowski is good enough to play between them.
Old 06-19-2018, 11:24 AM   #160
Tbull8
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

If the offer was Stone (with contract in place/discussed) for Hamilton, would you do it? I think I would be willing to give up Dougie at that point.
Closed Thread