Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Back Burner: The Calgary Wranglers and Flames Prospects Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-23-2011, 01:24 AM   #321
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyluv View Post
The Kootenay Ice took game one of the Eastern Conference Final agains the Medicine Hat Tigers 6-5 in OT. Max Reinhart had a goal and two assists in the win.
Including the assist on a goal with 1:55 left in regulation to tie the game.

Some kinda player, this kid.

"Does a great job covering the Flames" - Elliotte Friedman
Freeway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 09:06 AM   #322
sevenarms
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotze View Post
Max's younger brother Sam will be joining the Ice Monday after dominating a midget tournament. 7 goals and 12 assists in 5 games. The other brother Griffin is projected top 10 in 2012.
The new Staal's? I hope so.
Old 04-23-2011, 10:09 AM   #323
Hockey_Ninja

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotze View Post
Max's younger brother Sam will be joining the Ice Monday after dominating a midget tournament. 7 goals and 12 assists in 5 games. The other brother Griffin is projected top 10 in 2012.
Lets tank so we can draft them both!
Old 04-23-2011, 12:56 PM   #324
johnnyluv
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeway View Post
Including the assist on a goal with 1:55 left in regulation to tie the game.

Some kinda player, this kid.
Highlights of the game are here - http://tigershockey.com/
They looked like some very nice plays by Reinhart - the goal in particular.
Old 04-27-2011, 12:04 AM   #325
kirant
Franchise Player

Exp:

Reinhart with another goal as the Ice are up 3-0 in their series.
Old 04-27-2011, 11:20 AM   #326
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

IF the Kootenay Ice manage to qualify for the Memorial Cup, that means that the Flames have had representation in the tournament for seven straight years.

2010: Greg Nemisz (Windsor Spitfires)
2009: Greg Nemisz (Windsor Spitfires), Mikael Backlund and Ryley Grantham (Kelowna Rockets)
2008: Mitch Wahl (Spokane Chiefs)
2007: Lance Bouma and J.D. Watt (Vancouver Giants), Matt Keetley and Gord Baldwin (Medicine Hat Tigers)
2006: Daniel Ryder (Peterborough Petes), Lance Bouma and J.D. Watt (Vancouver Giants)
2005: Brandon Prust (London Knights)

That's a pretty good run.

The Following User Says Thank You to Freeway For This Useful Post:
Old 04-27-2011, 08:22 PM   #327
kirant
Franchise Player

Exp:

Game's barely half over, but Reinhart has 4 goals for the Ice.
Old 04-27-2011, 08:23 PM   #328
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirant View Post
Something tells me this Reinhart could turn out to be a pretty alright hockey player.

Old 04-27-2011, 09:25 PM   #329
8sPOT
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirant View Post
Wow, saw your post and went to check the scoresheet, Reinhart has 5 goals now! Still 8 minutes left in the 3rd.
8sPOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 09:49 PM   #330
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kootenay advances to the WHL Finals.

Old 04-27-2011, 10:03 PM   #331
TSXCman
First Line Centre

Exp:

when can we expect some highlights from this max snipe show?
TSXCman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 12:26 AM   #332
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

So incredibly happy about Kootenay advancing to the WHL finals. They have won 11 games in a row and have an incredible amount of momentum at this point.

But more importantly, Reinhart is a scoring machine. Kid has crazy two way abilities.
Pierre "Monster" McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 10:40 AM   #333
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

As promised, my quick glance at the Flames top ten prospects. Eager for your feedback, gang.

http://thehockeywriters.com/calgary-...pring-edition/

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Freeway For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2011, 11:00 AM   #334
madmike
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
As promised, my quick glance at the Flames top ten prospects. Eager for your feedback, gang.

That's a very good list. I'd likely bump Irving down a couple of spots though behind Erixon and Brodie. Irving is more NHL-ready but I'm not sure his ceiling is as high as Erixon's or Brodie's.

I really like Reinhart at 4. I think he is a more complete player than Howse and even though he's a year younger he might actually be closer to playing an NHL style of game.

EDIT: And I still hold out some hope for Mitch Wahl, although I realize it's hard to rank him considering he was injured pretty much all year.
madmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 11:15 AM   #335
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:

Pretty good list. At the top I'd just have some slight changes. Now I haven't seen a lot of these guys play but from what I have seen and the news/stats on some of them I'm going to go with:

1. Tim Erixon (D) - I think the organization thinks he can be a top 3 defenseman, perhaps even top 2. Good all around player, has a pretty heavy shot from the point.
2. T.J. Brodie (D) - His skill was obvious in camp and the one time I saw him for the Heat. I don't know if his defensive game will let him be a top 2-3 defenseman but he's got the skill and offensive ability to be a powerplay quarterback and puck rusher. The most exciting prospect we have.
3. Leland Irving (G) - Irving seems to have turned the corner after a questionable year last year. He proved he could be a consistently good starter at the AHL level. Has NHL starter potential I feel.
4. Joni Ortio (G) - Organization seems really high on him. I really liked what I saw of his technique in the WJC's. Now he needs to prove himself in the AHL in North America.
5. Max Reinhart (C) - Doesn't seem to get mentioned in the same breath as the above prospects but he's having an unreal performance when it counts the most, in the playoffs. His stock must be quite on the rise. Haven't seen him play myself but he's putting up fantastic numbers in the WHL playoffs and obviously isn't getting carried while doing so. Very excited about his potential.
6. Ryan Howse (W) - Obviously an elite goal scorer in the WHL and it looks like he's been working on his all around game. Interesting to see how he adapts to the AHL and how quickly he can become an impact player there. I'll have him higher once he proves himself at the pro level.
7. Greg Nemisz (W) - Had a good first year pro, was leading the team in points early in the season. I think he'll be a great complimentary player at the NHL level. Has enough skill to play on the scoring lines and has the size/strength to compete along the boards and in front of the net.
8. Chris Breen (D) - Towering blueliner has good mobility and makes good smart decisions with the puck. Looked miles ahead of Pelech when I saw him play for the Heat and was very impressed. Playfair and Feaster are both high on this kid for good reason.
9. Mitch Wahl (C) - High potential with this smart player but he had a rough year that mostly filled with injuries including the always worrying concussion. We'll hope to see him bounce back and have a healthy year for the Heat and become an impact player at the AHL level.
10. Lance Bouma (W) - Looks to be a role/energy guy at the NHL level. Proved he could compete at that level last year in his limited time.

Honorable mentions: John Negrin (D), Joey Leach (D), John Ramage (D), Spencer Bennett (F), Gord Baldwin (D), Bill Arnold (F), Matt Pelech (D)

Strengths:
1. Defense - We have top end blueline prospects in Erixon and Brodie, and then some nice looking depth guys with Breen, Negrin, Leach, Ramage, Baldwin, Pelech and Seabrook. Definitely our main area of strength.
2. Goaltending - Both Irving and Ortio seem to have starter potential. Our goaltending prospects look the best they have since we had Giguere in the system.
3. Depth Forwards

Weaknesses:
1. Skilled forwards - Not a lot of top end skill in our forward group. Reinhart, Wahl and Howse look like they have the most top 2 line potential but we have no real blue chipper in this area.

Draft Strategy: Take the best player available. I don't see us taking a goalie early. I know most fans only want a forward but there are some defensemen we might have to consider should they fall to us. There should be a lot of attractive forwards at #13 including I'm sure at least one that the Flames have ranked in their top 10.

I think Breen is the biggest omission on your list Freeway. He made some great strides in his rookie year of pro and despite not being drafted he is clearly ahead of some guys we drafted. The organization is talking quite highly of him and I thought he was the most polished player when I watched the Heat play at the Dome. Ramage on the other hand didn't impress me that much at the World Juniors. His skill is average and he's not that huge either.

Last edited by Flames Draft Watcher; 04-28-2011 at 11:24 AM.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2011, 11:23 AM   #336
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

If I did a Top 15, Breen would easily have made it (along with Bill Arnold, who was on Hockey East's All-Rookie Team). Both are character guys and Breen has managed to eke ahead of, arguably, both Negrin and Pelech in the prospect pecking order. Pelech and Negrin both direly need to stay healthy, but they're both strong players when not hurt.

In terms of drafting needs, I'll put together something in June once we know who's signed and who isn't, but I'd argue that the Flames are "fine" in goal (Ortio/Irving) and "fine" on the back end, and that the major need is much the same as it has been: offensive-minded players. They've done a great job of finding and developing guys like Lance Bouma (tough to play against bottom-six guys), but they really need guys like Howse who can put the puck in the net.

Old 04-28-2011, 09:52 PM   #337
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Awesome list Freeway. I wouldn't change a thing on this list.

Let's hope Brodie recovers from his injury well. Also, let's hope Howse isn't sucked of his offensive ability (*cough*Cameron*cough*).
Pierre "Monster" McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 06:44 PM   #338
Beerfest
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Seabrook has two goals and one assist in 7 playoff games for the Manitoba Moose.
Beerfest is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Beerfest For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2011, 03:33 PM   #339
Beerfest
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

HF released their top 10 WHL centermen..They have Reinhart at number eight. Teammate Eakin is ranked number one.

Quote:
8. Max Reinhart, Kootenay Ice
A deep playoff run that includes an unlikely sweep of the Saskatoon Blades has vaulted Max Reinhart into the spotlight this spring. The Ice has won 11 straight playoff games, advancing to the WHL Championship series where they will face either Portland or Spokane.

Reinhart has become an offensive catalyst during the second half of the season, culminating in a five-goal performance in the Eastern Conference clinching playoff game against the Medicine Hat Tigers. Reinhart has made a habit of traveling north-to-south during the playoffs, consistently creating havoc for opponents and scoring chances for the Ice.

Reinhart was selected by the Calgary Flames in the third round, 64th overall, at the 2010 NHL Entry Draft. During the regular season, he chipped in with 34 goals and 45 assists. Through three playoff rounds, he has 14 goals and eight assists in 14 games.
http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...whl_centermen/
Beerfest is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Beerfest For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2011, 09:13 PM   #340
sevenarms
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfest View Post
HF released their top 10 WHL centermen..They have Reinhart at number eight. Teammate Eakin is ranked number one.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...whl_centermen/
Out of all those ahead of Reinhart, only Ryan Johansen is the only other 1992 born. Bodes well for Reinhart. Next season he'll be top 3.