Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 08:22 PM   #41
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Okay, not an HD question but I couldn't find a quick and dirty answer on Google (probably not knowing what search terms to use) so here goes:

I have a 13" CRT that I won (hey it's my first TV). I'll be getting my own place soon so probably buying a flat screen anyways... but it would be good for a kitchen or bedroom or something. Anyways, it's virtually new, but the blue is completely gone already (it was there, the TV made an noise, and then it was gone). Is there a potential quick fix for this and is it even worth getting it looked at? Or is it just junk?

Thanks,
SebC
Old 04-11-2007, 08:19 AM   #42
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebC View Post
Okay, not an HD question but I couldn't find a quick and dirty answer on Google (probably not knowing what search terms to use) so here goes:

I have a 13" CRT that I won (hey it's my first TV). I'll be getting my own place soon so probably buying a flat screen anyways... but it would be good for a kitchen or bedroom or something. Anyways, it's virtually new, but the blue is completely gone already (it was there, the TV made an noise, and then it was gone). Is there a potential quick fix for this and is it even worth getting it looked at? Or is it just junk?

Thanks,
SebC
Junk.

13" TVs cost less than $100, it would be more expensive to fix it, and it sounds like a component would neet to be replaced.
—Daniel J. Boorstin, historian, former Librarian of Congress
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Old 04-11-2007, 05:36 PM   #43
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

Toshiba and Matsua have announced that within three years they plan to introduce organic light-emitting diode (OLED) panels for use in televisions.

Quote:
OLED panels emit light from electroluminescent films stored on the display's glass substrate; OLED displays consume very little power, provide wide viewing angles, thin profiles, and high contrast.
I wonder how expensive these will be? OLED are already used in phones (for their low-power consumption) so there should already be a fair amount of production knowledge by the time these hit store shelves.
—Daniel J. Boorstin, historian, former Librarian of Congress
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Old 04-11-2007, 07:13 PM   #44
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
Habby- tune to CBC-HD, then select <Menu><6><1><1>. This will bring you to the aiming screen. Tell me what is says in the bottom for signal strength; a number between 1 and 100. It should be above 70, but if it's below, that could be the issue.

Other than that, I do find CBC to be the worst of all my HD channels. I was actually shocked on Saturday to see it looked good then.
69%. How can I improve that?
Old 04-12-2007, 02:16 AM   #45
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by habernac View Post
69%. How can I improve that?
As far as CBC goes, I think Bell compresses their signal too much. Saturday had a great picture but I seem to be back to the same old crap picture tonight. It looked more like an upconverted picture than true HD.

If you want to better your signal, you'll have to go out and tweak your dish. Tune in CBC and go to your signal strength screen again. Hopefully you'll be able to see your TV from your dish. If not you'll have to yell at your wife and vice versu or use a phone. You'll have to loosen off a couple of bolts and move your dish very slightly. I'd try it up and down first. Tighten it down and if not satisfied, than adjust left and right. I wouldn't adjust the skew. I'd suggest putting a mark where the dish is set now in case you screw up. I screw up regularly and I've been putting off adjusting my dishes for a while since the last storm because it can be frustrating. That's right dishes because to get a decent signal where I live I use a 24" [for the SD sat. 91]and a 30" for the HD sat. 82]. Well that's how I set them up on a warm summer's day but after the last storm, with my help, each one is pointing at the wrong satellite like a crosseyed kid but I get a half decent signal so sue me.

So that would be your next step, buy a bigger dish for you HD [82] satellite. I found my 24'' in a pawnshop for $25. I bought my 30'' for $50 from a friend but stores do carry them, just make sure they're compatible with Bell.

Probably too much information, but you get the picture.

Last edited by Vulcan; 04-12-2007 at 03:51 AM.
Old 04-13-2007, 01:13 PM   #46
Rerun
Often Thinks About Pickles

Exp:

Glad to see this thread got stickified. Lots of helpful info here for those of us who currently don't own an HD tv and are looking to buy one.
Old 04-25-2007, 08:55 PM   #47
Rory_B._Bellows
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Question for those in the know, what are some good numbers for a contrast ratio? I have seen them all over the map and wonder if it is much of a priority
Old 04-26-2007, 01:32 AM   #48
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rory_B._Bellows View Post
Question for those in the know, what are some good numbers for a contrast ratio? I have seen them all over the map and wonder if it is much of a priority
Depends on what kind of TV you're looking at. Plasma's are noted for their good contrast ratio, so it's not a problem.
LCD's have more of a problem with contrast ratios and response times. Manufacturers have now muddied the waters by introducing Dynamic ratios. As near as I can figure I'd divide by 5 to find the static contrast ratio. Myself, I'd be looking for a TV that had a static contrast ratio of at least 1000 and a response time of 8 or less for fast moving sports but the final judge is your own eyes, so I'd take these numbers with a grain of salt.

Last edited by Vulcan; 04-26-2007 at 02:08 AM.
Old 04-26-2007, 09:05 AM   #49
Rory_B._Bellows
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
Depends on what kind of TV you're looking at. Plasma's are noted for their good contrast ratio, so it's not a problem.
LCD's have more of a problem with contrast ratios and response times. Manufacturers have now muddied the waters by introducing Dynamic ratios. As near as I can figure I'd divide by 5 to find the static contrast ratio. Myself, I'd be looking for a TV that had a static contrast ratio of at least 1000 and a response time of 8 or less for fast moving sports but the final judge is your own eyes, so I'd take these numbers with a grain of salt.

Thanks Vulcan....
Old 04-26-2007, 09:19 AM   #50
ericschand
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I have a question relating to the cheap cheap LCD TV's you can find
on sale here and there.

Most (if not all) of them say they are "refurbished".

What does this mean? If a pixel or few are blown on the TV, how
can they refurbish it? Or are they talking tuner/power boards?

I'm wary of refurbished, unless it's something simple (ie. front
bezel is damaged), but what can they possibly refurb on a
LCD or Plasma TV?

ers
Old 04-28-2007, 01:10 AM   #51
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regulator75 View Post
After much deliberation and going back and forth...I am happy with my final decision. Funny, it's none of the previous choices I named.

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pro...0079165&catid=
46 inch Sony Bravia LCD 1080P $3299.99

After viewing them side by side and investigating "known problems" online, I feel good about this Sony.

The Sony XBR2/3 series has been having a lot of white / clouding issues.

Pioneer Plasma, glass is way too reflective for my liking. Sharp contrast and colours though...

Sharp Aquos, nice LCD still too reflective though. Plus known horizontal / vertical banding problems.

Samsung, didn't care for the high glossy piano black trim. Great picture though, very similar to the Sony.

Plus the 46 inch is a better fit in our living room, the 52 inch will be too large after all the measurements were done.

Thanks for the input CP!
well Regulator i just wanted to say thanks for your update on which TV you bought. i was in a similar situation, and was leaning towards the Sharp until i saw that post and then started looking into the Sony. after comparing them side by side i went with the Sony and managed to get that same TV at A&B Sound for $2650 (sometimes commision stores are good, this guy was desperate to get a sale out of me). this forum and your thread made the process much simpler
Old 04-28-2007, 04:35 PM   #52
Regulator75
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
well Regulator i just wanted to say thanks for your update on which TV you bought. i was in a similar situation, and was leaning towards the Sharp until i saw that post and then started looking into the Sony. after comparing them side by side i went with the Sony and managed to get that same TV at A&B Sound for $2650 (sometimes commision stores are good, this guy was desperate to get a sale out of me). this forum and your thread made the process much simpler
I am glad that my post and research helped.

I've had my Sony 46V2500 for about 2 weeks now, I love it.
No complaints at all.
HD and a PVR is a thing of beauty.

More photos on Flickr
Old 04-29-2007, 09:32 PM   #53
HelloHockeyFans
n00b!

Exp:

Has anyone here paid to get their HDTV calibrated? I had a friend do it down here recently and he said it's made a world of difference. Prices range from $100 to do it yourself with a step-by-step DVD to higher for a professional calibrater.
Old 05-03-2007, 02:04 PM   #54
Juventus3
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I'm wondering which output most people have their SAT/Cable boxes set to? Both our TV's have 1080i capability, but I was just at soundsaround (I think that's what its name is) and the guy kept telling me 720p was better. I know that progressive scan is better, but wouldn't more resolution win out?
Old 05-03-2007, 03:04 PM   #55
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juventus3 View Post
I'm wondering which output most people have their SAT/Cable boxes set to? Both our TV's have 1080i capability, but I was just at soundsaround (I think that's what its name is) and the guy kept telling me 720p was better. I know that progressive scan is better, but wouldn't more resolution win out?
i'm wondering about this as well. from what i've read 720p appears to be better overall, but when i set my cablebox to output in that, i notice text is a lot jaggier than in 1080i (especially noticable in the Shaw guide). 1080i seems to give me the better overall picture

oh and is it just me, or is the TSN SportsCenter HD feed terrible? i see random snowy artifacts pop up everywhere, and if the anchor is wearing a pinstripe suit it plays havok with my display. i don't notice those issues on any other channel, and not even during an HD TSN hockey broadcast
Old 05-03-2007, 04:58 PM   #56
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've heard, if you have a 1080p TV, that 1080i is better. I don't have one, so I don't have practicle experience. I have an older 1080i TV and it's better in its native resolution despite the fact that Bell [so I hear] broadcasts everything in 720p. For a regular 720p or 768p TV, I'd experiment. Pass through, if you have it may be best. Pick the best picture for you, as the provider and it's STB may vary.
Old 05-04-2007, 09:27 AM   #57
Juventus3
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
i'm wondering about this as well. from what i've read 720p appears to be better overall, but when i set my cablebox to output in that, i notice text is a lot jaggier than in 1080i (especially noticable in the Shaw guide). 1080i seems to give me the better overall picture

oh and is it just me, or is the TSN SportsCenter HD feed terrible? i see random snowy artifacts pop up everywhere, and if the anchor is wearing a pinstripe suit it plays havok with my display. i don't notice those issues on any other channel, and not even during an HD TSN hockey broadcast
Yea I know what you mean...It almost looks like an image you over sharpen on a photo editor program. The highlights look amazing, but the in studio set needs some adjusting.

I've set both my STB's to 720p after reading that Bell does in fact output in that res (Called a rep and asked). Watching the canuckleheads lose last night on CBC was much better IMO. There was no big digital blocks on the screen when the camera was fast moving...something that I noticed happened quite often in 1080i during sporting events (sans golf).

I've also read that 720p is the preferred resolution for sports because of that reason, but 1080i is better for movies, video games, tv shows...

who knows, it looks amazing in either one! Im loving HD way too much...I watch more TV than I ever have.
Old 05-04-2007, 08:10 PM   #58
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juventus3 View Post
who knows, it looks amazing in either one! Im loving HD way too much...I watch more TV than I ever have.
yep, i'm addicted to HDTV. i watched a special on crickets for christ sake on Discovery HD, and i even find myself purposfully watching the HD commercials on shows i record before fast forwarding the rest, simply because it looks so good

i'm sure i'm gonna have to buy a bigger hard drive for my PVR though, because with all the stuff i'm recording now i know 160gb won't be enough
Old 05-09-2007, 11:48 PM   #59
Juventus3
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I'd just like to point out that I love HD commercials. I make a point to watch them before getting up to do whatever.
Old 05-19-2007, 02:46 PM   #60
Devils'Advocate
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Okay. I made the plunge today. My Panasonic TH50PX75 comes next week. Future Shop has it on sale for $2799. I asked Audiotronic to match and the guy said, "I'll do you one better and make it $2699". I'm, like, okkkkaaayy.... I thought since we were negotiating I was supposed to be the one negotiating down.

Anyhow, long story short, I was blown away with the picture and I thought I had researched everything. Except that I forgot that at times I may want to hook up my computer. There is no VGA jack on the TH50PX75. However, I also am going to need to upgrade my computer soon and the latest Macs come with DVI output. Which I have never heard of. Can you convert DVI to HDMI? Is there an easy way to convert VGA to component?
Closed Thread