Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-05-2020, 02:04 PM   #2241
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
Not surprising, Last of Us delayed with the world on lockdown.
I hope this isn't a trend throughout this, especially if we have to do it again in the fall if there's a second wave. I totally get how this greatly affects the usual marketing that happens with big releases like this, as well as physical purchases, but you'd think gaming would be way up with everyone stuck at home these days. I wish the new AC rumoured to be out this autumn was releasing now instead, that would really help me get through this quarantine.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 02:48 PM   #2242
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sainters7 View Post
I hope this isn't a trend throughout this, especially if we have to do it again in the fall if there's a second wave. I totally get how this greatly affects the usual marketing that happens with big releases like this, as well as physical purchases, but you'd think gaming would be way up with everyone stuck at home these days. I wish the new AC rumoured to be out this autumn was releasing now instead, that would really help me get through this quarantine.
It's just Sony being typical Sony of the last few years (a pain). There's been huge games coming out with only a few hitches -- heck, one of the biggest releases of the last few years is coming on Thursday (FFVII), they've been shipping copies early, warning people to be patient with retailers, and recommending if you want to have it day one for sure, switch to digital. Not sure what's so special about The Last of Us that they can't do the same. Hours after it was delayed, Nintendo dropped Twitter posts re-confirming Xenoblade's release date for the same day.

I wouldn't worry about it becoming a widespread thing yet. The games that have come out (Animal Crossing and DOOM) have done HUGE numbers, I expect FFVII will as well and show there's little to be concerned with, sales-wise.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2020, 03:50 PM   #2243
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Gaming *is* way up. In pretty much every single report, console, game, etc you can imagine.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 04:53 PM   #2244
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah last of us being delayed really annoyed me too. So what if you can't deliver the "launch experiance customers deserve" wtf are you talking about? You release game, I download game, I play game. Doesn't need to be anything more than that
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2020, 05:43 PM   #2245
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
You release game, I download game, I play game. Doesn't need to be anything more than that
Not everyone wants to buy digital though.

When it releases doesn't really matter to me though because I expect it to be released on PS5 too and would rather play it then.
Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Inferno For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2020, 05:52 PM   #2246
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

My PS4 broke. This is my third one. Guess I'm not playing FF7, unless someone wants to trade one for my Xbox.

Lame. Wait for a game for like 10+ years since the tech demo, and here it is, and the hardware craps the bed. Sony needs to make consoles that aren't junk.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 05:52 PM   #2247
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
Not everyone wants to buy digital though.

When it releases doesn't really matter to me though because I expect it to be released on PS5 too and would rather play it then.
Sure but you can just get it shipped if you want the physical copy
Old 04-05-2020, 05:58 PM   #2248
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Sure but you can just get it shipped if you want the physical copy
There's possible delays though whether that's just straight shipping from a store or manufacturing the physical copies. Everyone's schedule and who they work with to produce the physical copies is different so just because one game can be released on time doesn't mean the same for another.
Old 04-05-2020, 05:59 PM   #2249
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
There's possible delays though whether that's just straight shipping from a store or manufacturing the physical copies. Everyone's schedule and who they work with to produce the physical copies is different so just because one game can be released on time doesn't mean the same for another.
I just hate the corporate junk speech. "Release experience" #### off, put the game out and people will play it
Old 04-05-2020, 06:08 PM   #2250
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I just hate the corporate junk speech. "Release experience" #### off, put the game out and people will play it
I get though not wanting to piss off your fans who want to buy physical and wanting both to be able to play at the same time.
Old 04-05-2020, 06:09 PM   #2251
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Nothing epitomizes the gamer attitude like someone getting mad that not everything is designed to cater to them exclusively.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 07:59 PM   #2252
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

All I’m saying is if Square can figure this out with like two and a half weeks left leading up their biggest release in over a decade, surely Sony could’ve figured it out in the next two months.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 12:06 AM   #2253
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
My PS4 broke. This is my third one. Guess I'm not playing FF7, unless someone wants to trade one for my Xbox.

Lame. Wait for a game for like 10+ years since the tech demo, and here it is, and the hardware craps the bed. Sony needs to make consoles that aren't junk.
What happened to it?
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 12:19 AM   #2254
Wood
First Line Centre

Exp:

nm

Last edited by Wood; 04-06-2020 at 12:24 AM.
Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 12:42 AM   #2255
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post

How much do you play it? I have a launch day PS4 that works fine
Old 04-06-2020, 12:44 AM   #2256
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
How much do you play it? I have a launch day PS4 that works fine

Same, the PS4 console itself has been rock solid for me. The controllers however are a different story, 3 of them have died on me in different ways. Really hope the quality control for the PS5 is better
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 07:00 AM   #2257
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
Same, the PS4 console itself has been rock solid for me. The controllers however are a different story, 3 of them have died on me in different ways. Really hope the quality control for the PS5 is better
I got a launch PS4 and had no issues with it up to trading it in on a PS4 Pro which has been solid outside of the fan at times going Mach 3. All of my PS4 issues have also been controller related. On one hand I like not having to fiddle with batteries like with Xbox controllers but on the other hand the Xbox controllers always work and at the end of the day that matters more. In general I feel console reliability has been very good this generation.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 04-06-2020 at 07:03 AM.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 08:33 AM   #2258
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I got a launch PS4 and had no issues with it up to trading it in on a PS4 Pro which has been solid outside of the fan at times going Mach 3. All of my PS4 issues have also been controller related. On one hand I like not having to fiddle with batteries like with Xbox controllers but on the other hand the Xbox controllers always work and at the end of the day that matters more. In general I feel console reliability has been very good this generation.
Do you notice the fans kick in more during the menu than during gameplay? I played through TLOU this weekend and it wasn't bad during the game but anytime I paused or went into a menu the jet took off and didn't stop until I started playing again. I might have to pop it open and check the thermal paste.
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 08:41 AM   #2259
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raekwon View Post
What happened to it?
First one got WLOD, bricked completely. Nothing even happened, it just... stopped working one day. I still have it but it's a paperweight.

This one, I think, the issue is with the HDMI port or the chip that causes it to be able to send a signal to the TV. Again, not obvious what the problem was - it might have been a power issue as I lost power for a few minutes to my house recently, but on the other hand, it's plugged into a surge protector, so that doesn't make sense. This time it's not WLOD'd as far as I can tell, because I'm still able to get it to produce a green / orange light, the TV just has no signal. I suspect that it's possible to get it fixed, but as far as I'm aware, any shop that could fix it is currently shut down for COVID reasons.

I dunno, maybe if I sent both of them in to Sony they'd give me enough credit between the two of them for a new one, assuming they can refurbish the existing units somehow (although that's probably not worth their time at this point).
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 08:58 AM   #2260
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Mark me down as someone who’s had a PS4 for years with heavy usage and zero issue as well. Some folks just have bad luck.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ResAlien For This Useful Post: