Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-07-2012, 12:49 AM   #21
dying4acup
First Line Centre

Exp:

So I read that Feaster and co. plan to speak to him regarding his future plans after prospect camp. What r the chances they can convince him to play OHL?
dying4acup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 07:44 AM   #22
Rhettzky
Franchise Player

Exp:

He's got big hands!

Old 07-07-2012, 09:44 AM   #23
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dying4acup View Post
So I read that Feaster and co. plan to speak to him regarding his future plans after prospect camp. What r the chances they can convince him to play OHL?
Pretty much zero. I think he was originalyy heading to Providence next year but the flames talked him into a year at Dubuque in the USHL and then on to providence
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 09:48 AM   #24
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Pretty much zero. I think he was originalyy heading to Providence next year but the flames talked him into a year at Dubuque in the USHL and then on to providence

The interesting part will be next year. If he plays great at Dubuque this year maybe he changes his mind about college. I do believe most people should get post secondary education, but as a flames fan would love to see him go the route of JR's and AHL.
kyuss275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 11:14 AM   #25
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyuss275 View Post
The interesting part will be next year. If he plays great at Dubuque this year maybe he changes his mind about college. I do believe most people should get post secondary education, but as a flames fan would love to see him go the route of JR's and AHL.
This is my feeling as well
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 11:16 AM   #26
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluck View Post
I guess you can wait 10 years and see if he pans out, ill probably be dead in 10 year though knowing how I drink/smoke
I know this thread is mostly tongue in cheek, but for those that are impatient about waiting as much as 5 years for this kid, I would just like to point out that Backlund was drafted 5 years ago and if he were to blossom into a 1st liner this year I think everyone would agree that it turned out to be a fantastic pick.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2012, 01:17 PM   #27
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyuss275 View Post
I think prospect camp will be an integral part of any decision. If he comes in and holds looks good against the prospects that have graduated from the CHL he may be encouraged to go that route
Alberta_Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 04:22 PM   #28
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd like to see him go straight to college, no junior of any level. Why waste a year in the USHL? College would be a good place to build up his body. Not as many games and less travel and a good off ice training program.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 04:26 PM   #29
mattyk19
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Squid View Post
I actually watched the whole video! thanks!
Feels weird to follow up a workout with a smoke.
mattyk19 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mattyk19 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2012, 04:27 PM   #30
RyZ
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
I'd like to see him go straight to college, no junior of any level. Why waste a year in the USHL? College would be a good place to build up his body. Not as many games and less travel and a good off ice training program.
I completely agree. I don't know why he is bothering with the USHL at all. He should be going straight to the NCAA or OHL and I thought the Flames would be pushing him to go 1 of these 2 routes. However, from what I have heard, I am under the impression that the Flames are the ones thinking it is a good idea for him to play a year in the USHL. It doesn't make sense to me, it seems like a wasted year of development. Especially if he doesn't tear the USHL up in his time there.
RyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 04:47 PM   #31
Dorkmaster
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyZ View Post
I completely agree. I don't know why he is bothering with the USHL at all. He should be going straight to the NCAA or OHL and I thought the Flames would be pushing him to go 1 of these 2 routes. However, from what I have heard, I am under the impression that the Flames are the ones thinking it is a good idea for him to play a year in the USHL. It doesn't make sense to me, it seems like a wasted year of development. Especially if he doesn't tear the USHL up in his time there.
I don't think its a bad choice. After much thought, USHL is a place where he'd be easily a top 6/first line player. He'll get lots of playing time and won't get shoved into a checking role. He'll be allowed to make mistakes and to hone his skills while learning systems play. Throw him into the NCAA when he's not ready and he might be forced to be a role player.

Plus Dubuque seems to have produced some solid players lately so I'm sure he'll be fine going there.
Dorkmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 07:14 PM   #32
T@T
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
I don't know about that, if he shines at camp Feaster might convince him with an entry level contract and some nice bonus money. If it doesn't work out he can always go to college.
T@T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 07:54 PM   #33
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The Flames didn't talk him into going to Dubuque. He had already made that decision before he was drafted.

If anything, based on some of the interviews they've done since the draft, Feaster and Weisbrod might encourage him to go to Providence this year (possibly to avoid any potential for a Schultz scenario in 4 years). They've also made it clear though that the decision will be up to him to make.
Old 07-07-2012, 08:38 PM   #34
Badger Bob
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBI View Post
Sorry, somebody had to start it

The "Fricken" threads must've replaced the "I Like ..." threads. The standards have obviously been lowered. The player doesn't actually have to even do anything now to get "Fricken" as a middle name to impress the gallery.
Badger Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Badger Bob For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2012, 08:48 PM   #35
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorkmaster View Post
I don't think its a bad choice. After much thought, USHL is a place where he'd be easily a top 6/first line player. He'll get lots of playing time and won't get shoved into a checking role. He'll be allowed to make mistakes and to hone his skills while learning systems play. Throw him into the NCAA when he's not ready and he might be forced to be a role player.

Plus Dubuque seems to have produced some solid players lately so I'm sure he'll be fine going there.
I think one of his decision criteria will be how he does in this prospect camp.

I don't think he should have a lot of competition for top six minutes at Providence. The leading scorer only had 25 points and so what if he spends some time on the third or fourth line in his rookie year, he'll still be developing his game and building strength.

http://www.friars.com/sports/m-hocke.../teamcume.html
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 02:02 PM   #36
Eb0la11
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by T@T View Post
I don't know about that, if he shines at camp Feaster might convince him with an entry level contract and some nice bonus money. If it doesn't work out he can always go to college.
If a player gets paid to play hockey, they lose NCAA eligibility... He cannot sign AND go to college.
Eb0la11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 02:22 PM   #37
Daradon
Has lived the dream!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
I know this thread is mostly tongue in cheek, but for those that are impatient about waiting as much as 5 years for this kid, I would just like to point out that Backlund was drafted 5 years ago and if he were to blossom into a 1st liner this year I think everyone would agree that it turned out to be a fantastic pick.

Well I was expecting him to take 3-4 cause of his age, but I seriously hope it doesn't take 5. I see it as a high risk high reward gamble. If he isn't looking like Baertschi at 20, I think we lose out on what might have been a better 1st round pick.
Daradon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 03:01 PM   #38
boggledepot
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Squid View Post
I actually watched the whole video! thanks!
Yeah me too! You really have to push hard for to achieve that degree of legendary stamina.
boggledepot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 03:17 PM   #39
PantherExtreme
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Ushl reps are already pumping his tires making statements about a 1st rounder coming to their league i thought it was a pretty done deal. Also dont see why it would be any better togo straight to collegefrom that bad league he was in. Let him take a step up in comp while also getting good minutes in USHL
PantherExtreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 07:22 AM   #40
FBI
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pretty cool Jon Gillies chatting back and forth with Janko on twitter..

Tags
have some patience people