Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-26-2020, 12:47 PM   #41
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

14 year old acting that way learned it at home. The fact that his "camp" wouldnt engage on it at all pre draft leads me to believe that his home life is where he is getting the feeling that apology is not really necessary. Sucks to grow up in a place like that and it often takes overwhelming circumstance for a kid to break out of that mentality. Hopefully this publicity is a big enough kick to have him reconsider his approach to people and life, and perhaps distance himself from the people who taught him that this was acceptable.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2020, 12:58 PM   #42
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post
Everyone makes mistakes and deserves the opportunity to change and make up for it.

That said, I’m not convinced this guy hasn’t already been given that opportunity to apologize and done **** all with it. What is he waiting for?
Even if one believes that everyone deserves a second chance - that second chance doesn't necessarily mean opportunity to be a highly paid professional athlete.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2020, 01:01 PM   #43
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

The only thing I can think of that could make a kid could turn as bad as alluded to in the articles and tweets is an ogre of father that endlessly bellows racist rhetoric, drinks too much and has the whole household living in constant fear of his anger and violence.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Matata For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2020, 01:11 PM   #44
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Yeller View Post
I really don't believe racist #######s should be given second chances.

This particular story is very damning, but your general statement pertaining to society as a whole is very poor, imo. This is not an effective way to progress as a species, it just feeds into cycles that continue to plague us to this day.

Revenge and punishment will always be present, but they should not be what we strive for to feed our desires, as it only leads to more ****ty people if there is no path to redemption, which is bad for them and bad for you.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2020, 01:13 PM   #45
Old Yeller
First Line Centre

Exp:

You guys are right, I'm just very frustrated with this story.
Old Yeller is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Old Yeller For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2020, 01:18 PM   #46
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matata View Post
The only thing I can think of that could make a kid could turn as bad as alluded to in the articles and tweets is an ogre of father that endlessly bellows racist rhetoric, drinks too much and has the whole household living in constant fear of his anger and violence.
I'll just nitpick and say it doesn't have to be his father- could be his mother/grandfather/step father/ whomever. But I wholeheartedly agree- this kid grew up in an awful environment, no doubt. This is learned behavior.
The Following User Says Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2020, 01:19 PM   #47
Ped
First Line Centre

Exp:

While people are generally right that people should get a second chance, when there is no remorse shown, it's hard to believe that person is doing anything with that second chance.
Ped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 01:29 PM   #48
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

That's the thing. The kid has been given multiple "second chances", and he still hasn't done anything with it. He's been given multiple opportunities to come clean with it, show remorse, and learn from it. Instead, we get a generic hollow apology (probably from his lawyer or agent), and then nothing.

So yes, the onus is now on the kid. He's an adult now. There's absolutely no excuses left.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 01:32 PM   #49
Doctorfever
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I am sure these people are all vetted properly before the draft. You would think that all teams would have steered clear of this guy.

Very bad look for the Coyotes.

Not making an excuse for them, but because they didn’t have any picks for first three rounds maybe they took a chance on this guy. But again, even if he is a good hockey player doesn’t necessarily mean he will be a good teammate.

Hope the kid learns from his mistakes and is able to make some sort of positive impact on society. Maybe he still has some growing up to do.
Old 10-26-2020, 01:34 PM   #50
Beatle17
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

This board is so crazy. The kid did some terrible ####, hasn't apologized so deserves some consequence. But this board also wanted to trade for DeAngelo from the NYR, who at a much older age did way worse #### and has not admitted any remorse for his stuff.

hopefully this discussion can go on for hundreds of pages. The kid is a ###### bag, done and move on.
Beatle17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 01:39 PM   #51
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatle17 View Post
This board is so crazy. The kid did some terrible ####, hasn't apologized so deserves some consequence. But this board also wanted to trade for DeAngelo from the NYR, who at a much older age did way worse #### and has not admitted any remorse for his stuff.

hopefully this discussion can go on for hundreds of pages. The kid is a ###### bag, done and move on.
Uhhh... all of us? For both of those things?
Scroopy Noopers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 01:39 PM   #52
VilleN
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ped View Post
While people are generally right that people should get a second chance, when there is no remorse shown, it's hard to believe that person is doing anything with that second chance.

I think people need to earn a second chance. The other boy, by apologizing and showing that he understands how wrong his actions were, has earned a right to a second chance. This Mitchell kid, based on reports has done the opposite. Karma is a bitch and I hope his actions are returned in kind.
VilleN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 01:40 PM   #53
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatle17 View Post

Honestly this board was completely against that. I think one or two people may have broughten it up, but the general consensus around here was absolutely no to DeAngelo.
MrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 01:42 PM   #54
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
Uhhh... all of us? For both of those things?
Didn't you get the memo? You're part of the collective now.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2020, 01:44 PM   #55
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
It is not about defending him, because it is indefensible - but it is about understanding how this came to be.

If a 14 year old acts in such a way, a responsible/good parent would correct the behaviour. If the 14 year old didn’t apologize/show remorse/work to correct his wrong doing, then corrective behaviour should have been forced on him by his parents - easiest being that they pull him out of hockey. The fact that no apology was made, and that the kid continued to play hockey makes it look like the kid learned this behaviour from his parents. If you come from a household like that, good luck on growing beyond your circumstances without significant external assistance.

my wife has been a teacher for 20 years, so she has met/interacted with a TON of kids over that time. one thing that she has observed over and over again when there are 'student behavioural issues' is that those issues stem from home. she'll have that first 'parent/teacher meeting' and then she's not at all surprised by the kid's attitude/behaviour after meeting the kid's parents.
some people are just terrible parents.
now, with that being said, it doesn't mean the kid can't change and become a better person, however, it's a tough challenge (especially considering they will likely not have support from their parents).
Old 10-26-2020, 01:49 PM   #56
Jordan!
Jordan!

Exp:

Sweet mother of god this team is cursed.

If the Coyotes knew this before drafting him, then bad move.
Jordan! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 01:49 PM   #57
Flashpoint
Not the 1 millionth post winnar

Exp:

I don't know that he's going to fit well in any pro locker room now that this has come to light.

Racist abuse of a disabled child... that's brutal. Don't know who would want to sit next him without substantial steps taken by him to address the situation.

Reminds me of the "murder for hire" story of Mike Danton. He was eventually released, continued to play hockey, and IIRC saved someone's life on the ice by performing CPR.

I agree that you can't judge the totality of a person by their actions when they were 14. But this seems like a classic case of an entitled jock bully allowed to move through life unrestrained because he's good at hockey.

You reap what you sow.

Oilers give up a pick and a player to take on 5.5 mil."
-Bax
Flashpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 01:59 PM   #58
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan! View Post

If they didn’t, worse move. As it seems like most other teams knew about it.
Scroopy Noopers is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2020, 02:01 PM   #59
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
If they didn’t, worse move. As it seems like most other teams knew about it.
Quote:

According to the article, he (or his camp) wrote a letter to all NHL teams admitting what he did. They probably knew it would come up and tried to get in front of it try and preserve his draft stock.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2020, 02:05 PM   #60
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

And if they didn't know about this before drafting him, it doesn't reflect well on them either. Armstrong doesn't even get a pass for being a new GM because he was the Blues' AGM and Director of Amateur Scouting last season, so he should have known everything about the kid's past.