Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 10-29-2020, 10:05 AM   #8101
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1321508057680121858

Biden wins even with a 2016 level of polling swing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
The Following User Says Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 10-29-2020, 10:09 AM   #8102
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheyCallMeBruce View Post
Biden actually has a plan on how to handle the coronavirus crisis. That alone is enough for me to vote for him.

Is the plan to lockdown? Governor Newsom in California is getting blasted for his max 3 families for max 2 hours Thanksgiving rule.

Old 10-29-2020, 10:10 AM   #8103
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

One of the nice things about Biden is he knows how the WH works. He'll be able to get in there, and get to work fixing #### on day one.
Old 10-29-2020, 10:11 AM   #8104
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
https://twitter.com/user/status/1321508057680121858

Biden wins even with a 2016 level of polling swing.
2016 was a Normal polling error not an extreme one.
Old 10-29-2020, 10:12 AM   #8105
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
Is the plan to lockdown? Governor Newsom in California is getting blasted for his max 3 families for max 2 hours Thanksgiving rule.
In this case, "blast" means a bunch of right-wing talking heads are making hay without saying anything important.

It's a good narrative however.

Quote:
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 10-29-2020, 10:16 AM   #8106
TheyCallMeBruce
Likes Cartoons

Exp:

Quote:
Most spreads aren't caused by random crowd encounters. It's mostly spread because of enclosed family gathering events. Why can't people avoid one thanksgiving from infecting your elderly family members? It's not like this ban is permanent.
Old 10-29-2020, 10:20 AM   #8107
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheyCallMeBruce View Post
Most spreads aren't caused by random crowd encounters. It's mostly spread because of enclosed family gathering events. Why can't people avoid one thanksgiving from infecting your elderly family members? It's not like this ban is permanent.

Because it's your house. Can the government say your mother must where a mask and cannot stay in your house for more than 2 hours?

Another issue is Halloween. There is going to trick-or-treating on Saturday. Can we stop that?

Old 10-29-2020, 10:23 AM   #8108
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
One of the nice things about Biden is he knows how the WH works. He'll be able to get in there, and get to work fixing #### on day one.
Unfortunately, it's not a mess to fix overnight. Just sorting out everything that has been messed up will be the larger part of his term. There's some damage that has been done that won't be recovered from in his time, and, like in 2008, he's probably headed straight into another financial crisis that will dominate his time in office.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
Old 10-29-2020, 10:26 AM   #8109
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1321793992778866690
The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to burn_this_city For This Useful Post:
Old 10-29-2020, 10:27 AM   #8110
TheyCallMeBruce
Likes Cartoons

Exp:

Quote:
Because it's your house. Can the government say your mother must where a mask and cannot stay in your house for more than 2 hours?

Another issue is Halloween. There is going to trick-or-treating on Saturday. Can we stop that?
Sure, it's obvious government can't enforce those bans because it's impossible, but that's not to say the government can't issue them. And yes, it's your choice to follow those guidelines or ignore them, but you should have enough sense to know that your elderly parent is vulnerable and should be protected. Not sure why that's so hard to understand for some groups.

And of course we can't stop Halloween from happening, but again, common sense.

At least if governments are enacting some sort of plan, it's still a plan (whether you agree with it or not), rather than no plan at all.

Last edited by TheyCallMeBruce; 10-29-2020 at 10:29 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to TheyCallMeBruce For This Useful Post:
Old 10-29-2020, 10:33 AM   #8111
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
Unfortunately, it's not a mess to fix overnight. Just sorting out everything that has been messed up will be the larger part of his term. There's some damage that has been done that won't be recovered from in his time, and, like in 2008, he's probably headed straight into another financial crisis that will dominate his time in office.
Right, but at least he knows what the WH is supposed to look like. It may be a smouldering crater now, but he at least has a memory of how it all worked before. Someone new would definitely take awhile to get up to speed.
Old 10-29-2020, 10:33 AM   #8112
Red Slinger
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I've seen my octogenarian parents 6 times since March. Normally, I'd see them at least every couple of weeks. Each time I visit with them I keep my distance and wear a mask. The government doesn't say I can't see them but it's a choice I've made because I care about not just their well-being but the well-being of society at-large.

Quote:
At my house we're not answering the door. Frankly, I'm not sure why Halloween is even being allowed to go on. I get that people want to get back to normal life but the best way to do that is to lock down as much as possible for a period of time until the spread is under control. The worst way to do that is to pretend that nothing is wrong and continue on with relatively meaningless activities like Halloween or a night at the club or whatever phase of re-opening we are currently experiencing. So, yes, on an individual basis we can stop it. Throwing up our hands pretending that there's nothing to be done is being willfully ignorant.
Old 10-29-2020, 10:36 AM   #8113
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm putting a strainer on a stick and handling candy with rubber gloves. I don't think we should cancel Halloween if we're inventive about how to go about it.
Old 10-29-2020, 10:37 AM   #8114
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Slinger View Post
At my house we're not answering the door. Frankly, I'm not sure why Halloween is even being allowed to go on.
What exactly would you like them to do in terms of 'not allowing' it to go on?

I'm in the same boat, incidentally, just leaving my front lights off and not going to answer the door.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
Old 10-29-2020, 10:38 AM   #8115
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yup, I built a simple chute, I'll use tongs to drop candies into it down to the kids. We are high risk, but I think I can do it safely enough, and the kids need something this year.
Old 10-29-2020, 10:38 AM   #8116
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

We're laying out individually packed candy for kids with a "please take one" sign.

If some dip#### decides to take them all, I don't care. I'm not going to contribute to the spread if I can help it. Kids can get their parents to buy them some extra candy if they don't get it via trick or treating this year.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 10-29-2020, 10:41 AM   #8117
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Gloves tongs and masks, job done
Old 10-29-2020, 10:43 AM   #8118
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Slinger View Post
I've seen my octogenarian parents 6 times since March. Normally, I'd see them at least every couple of weeks. Each time I visit with them I keep my distance and wear a mask. The government doesn't say I can't see them but it's a choice I've made because I care about not just their well-being but the well-being of society at-large.

Sure, it's everyone's choice, not a law.

Old 10-29-2020, 10:46 AM   #8119
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Sure, it's everyone's choice, not a law.
Right, and Newsom's guideline is an "order", not a law.

Difference is, if you want to be a big baby about it you go on Twitter and pretend your rights are being infringed because the state recommended you don't create superspreader events.

Quote:
Old 10-29-2020, 10:47 AM   #8120
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
A federal mask order would be a start.