Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-29-2020, 08:52 AM   #8081
the_only_turek_fan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashpoint View Post
I believe in science, that covid is deadly and that climate change is man made and real.
I believe in civil rights and equality for everyone.
I believe children shouldn’t be separated from their parents.
I beleive the answer to school shootings is gun control, not more guns in schools.
I believe that long term renewable energy is a good goal.
I think its important a person has autonomy over their own body.

I think everyone should be allowed to vote.

So I support Joe Biden and the Democrats.
I think most people believe and support most of these things. The fringe right doesn’t speak for all conservatives.
Old 10-29-2020, 08:53 AM   #8082
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_only_turek_fan View Post
I think most people believe and support most of these things. The fringe right doesn’t speak for all conservatives.
The fringe right of 5 years ago is now driving the bus.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to burn_this_city For This Useful Post:
Old 10-29-2020, 08:54 AM   #8083
the_only_turek_fan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

The main thing I really want to see is the Republican Party return to some form of human decency. We can debate policies until the cows come home but the GOP needs to return to being a party of adults and a party of gentlemen.
The Following User Says Thank You to the_only_turek_fan For This Useful Post:
Old 10-29-2020, 09:00 AM   #8084
MarchHare
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_only_turek_fan View Post
Maybe that's true, but the fringe lunatic right has complete and total control over the Republican Party now. There is no voting option for "moderate conservatives" in the US anymore. If you're a right-leaning American, your choice is to either support the anti-democracy fascists and science-denying lunatics or to hold your nose and vote for the Democratic Party and hope that one day reason and sanity will return to conservative movement in the United States.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MarchHare For This Useful Post:
Old 10-29-2020, 09:02 AM   #8085
RogerWilco
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
Just take it from me, a WHITE MALE, humble, salt of the earth, 80-year old multi-millionaire sportsman.
Fixed
Old 10-29-2020, 09:06 AM   #8086
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah definitely his skin colour and genitalia are the key factors here, not the fact that he's literally been paid off.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 10-29-2020, 09:08 AM   #8087
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarchHare View Post
Maybe that's true, but the fringe lunatic right has complete and total control over the Republican Party now. There is no voting option for "moderate conservatives" in the US anymore. If you're a right-leaning American, your choice is to either support the anti-democracy fascists and science-denying lunatics or to hold your nose and vote for the Democratic Party and hope that one day reason and sanity will return to conservative movement in the United States.
That's the thing. And Trump HAS to go. I don't that point needs further discussion.

The problem is that removing Trump isn't going to fix anything. The lunatics are in control and are driving the bus. And while it is worst on the conservative right (by far), it is also true across the political spectrum that the quality of leadership continues to slide, the quality of discussion continues to deteriorate, and the quality of people in politics continues to fester.

It is difficult to be hopeful or optimistic about politics, going forward.
Old 10-29-2020, 09:10 AM   #8088
RogerWilco
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Yeah definitely his skin colour and genitalia are the key factors here, not the fact that he's literally been paid off.
Just take it from me, a PAID OFF, WHITE MALE, humble, salt of the earth, 80-year old multi-millionaire sportsman.
Old 10-29-2020, 09:10 AM   #8089
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Post 8085 is a perfect example of how the discourse, on all sides, continues to deteriorate.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 10-29-2020, 09:11 AM   #8090
the_only_turek_fan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarchHare View Post
Well let’s hope they get squashed on Tuesday.

I am hoping that the 2024 candidates include Sasse, Portman, Hogan, or maybe even Toomey although he is quitting.
Old 10-29-2020, 09:13 AM   #8091
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
That's the thing. And Trump HAS to go. I don't that point needs further discussion.

The problem is that removing Trump isn't going to fix anything. The lunatics are in control and are driving the bus. And while it is worst on the conservative right (by far), it is also true across the political spectrum that the quality of leadership continues to slide, the quality of discussion continues to deteriorate, and the quality of people in politics continues to fester.

It's not really true across the board though, and we've seen that in this cycle. The traditional, moderate democrat establishment still has control over the party. While there have been inroads made by both the social justice left in terms of getting those establishment democrats to pander to their values, and by the Bernie Sanders left in terms of having a small but vocal caucus and getting a lot of airtime and a decent chunk of primary support, neither of those fringe elements - whatever you might think of them - can be in any way said to be "driving the bus". At least, not yet.

I certainly agree that giving Trump the boot isn't some silver bullet that solves all problems of course. But if it's a big enough landslide it could cause some changes in the GOP, you'd think.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno

Last edited by CorsiHockeyLeague; 10-29-2020 at 09:15 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 10-29-2020, 09:16 AM   #8092
Doctorfever
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I don’t follow American politics much at all, so came here for some information.
Can anyone point me to a non-biased source that outlines the basic platforms of the two parties? I can tell from reading a bit on here and from what is in the news that the candidates running are what they are. I don’t care about that, just can’t seem to find anything of value on the basic party platforms.
Old 10-29-2020, 09:27 AM   #8093
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctorfever View Post
I don’t follow American politics much at all, so came here for some information.
Can anyone point me to a non-biased source that outlines the basic platforms of the two parties? I can tell from reading a bit on here and from what is in the news that the candidates running are what they are. I don’t care about that, just can’t seem to find anything of value on the basic party platforms.
https://joebiden.com/joes-vision/

vs.

https://www.promiseskept.com/

Recognize that the challenger is stating what they would do and the incumbent is talking a victory lap for things they claim they have already done (they have not achieved much of what has been stated). But it will give you an idea of the things important to each and the direction they would drive the country.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 10-29-2020, 09:28 AM   #8094
Iowa_Flames_Fan
Referee

Exp:

Quote:
If you find anything resembling a “platform” for Trump, please do let all of the rest of us know. I have not come across any such animal in my internet wanderings.

Biden has been slightly—but to be fair, only slightly—more detailed than Trump, but at least he has an inkling of what the issues are that will face the next administration. This isn’t a policy or platform election—I think it is literally about the preservation of democratic norms and a test of whether the American public is ready to punish and reject those who flout them. If they aren’t, it probably no longer matters which party is in power or what their “platform” is.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Iowa_Flames_Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 10-29-2020, 09:31 AM   #8095
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

"Hackers" aka embezzled by Trump

https://twitter.com/user/status/1321809927942397954
Old 10-29-2020, 09:37 AM   #8096
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post

This is one of the reasons why the down ticket votes are as important as the presidential pick. Turning the senate blue is actually more important than taking the presidency if people were being honest and understood the mechanisms of governance. This is why the conservative donors are channeling money away from the races that look lost and toward senate races that are close. If Nate Silver is right we could see a Democrat in the White House, a 52/48 Democrat senate, and a 249/183/1 Democrat House of Representatives. That is a mandate for change, and then some.

What I like is the talk of how they will tackle some of the issues facing the nation. Judicial review by a bi-partisan third party and changes based on their findings as an important example. Say what you will about Washington, but when it comes to governance and executing the will of the majority only one party consistently follows that standard. Yes, the Democrats follow the weathervane of public opinion, but isn't that what you hope for out of your representatives, to actually do what the majority are demanding?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 10-29-2020, 09:39 AM   #8097
Doctorfever
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
https://joebiden.com/joes-vision/

vs.

https://www.promiseskept.com/

Recognize that the challenger is stating what they would do and the incumbent is talking a victory lap for things they claim they have already done (they have not achieved much of what has been stated). But it will give you an idea of the things important to each and the direction they would drive the country.
Thanks (I think, lol).
Lots of information there...
Old 10-29-2020, 09:52 AM   #8098
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Thanks (I think, lol).
Lots of information there...
You're welcome. And yes, there is lots of information that you need to understand to come to grips with American politics. Those are just the issues. Now you have to understand how the American political system works. There machinations of the governance system in the United States is grossly different from that in Canada and very labyrinthine. It can be tiring but also very engrossing at the same time. It is a rabbit hole many are wary of going down.

Old 10-29-2020, 10:00 AM   #8099
TheyCallMeBruce
Likes Cartoons

Exp:

Biden actually has a plan on how to handle the coronavirus crisis. That alone is enough for me to vote for him.
Old 10-29-2020, 10:03 AM   #8100
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheyCallMeBruce View Post
Biden actually has a plan on how to handle the coronavirus crisis. That alone is enough for me to vote for him.
Not actively working to make it worse is good enough for me.
Closed Thread