Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-26-2020, 01:16 PM   #3241
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
I think this video does the best job explaining why I think the game just isn't fun

Nailed it. I started watching it and thought I would bail after seeing it was nearly an hour long, but I stuck with it and he perfectly described so much of what I've been thinking about the game and why TLOU1 was a different experience.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2020, 02:59 PM   #3242
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2020, 03:14 PM   #3243
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

...Alright, that was meant for the simpsons thread, but I'm just gonna go ahead and leave it.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2020, 09:29 AM   #3244
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
I think this video does the best job explaining why I think the game just isn't fun

lol. ain't nobody got time for that.

If you need an hour to summarize your thoughts, unfortunately not many people are going to listen.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
bax
Old 11-27-2020, 02:04 PM   #3245
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just an update on Assassin's Creed Valhalla bugs: they released a big patch yesterday (1.0.4) that seems to have addressed most of the issues. I was able to go back and complete side quest world events that I had to abandon earlier due to bugs. And Eivor hasn't had another random seizure anymore either.. yet.

Think those waiting on bugs to be fixed before playing it are in the clear now.

Last edited by Sainters7; 11-27-2020 at 07:55 PM.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sainters7 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2020, 04:38 PM   #3246
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
lol. ain't nobody got time for that.

If you need an hour to summarize your thoughts, unfortunately not many people are going to listen.
I dunno, I watched it and I haven't played either game. I thought it was interesting.
Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 10:10 PM   #3247
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

I couldn’t get thru the lame jokes. There’s only about 8 minutes worth of content. The rest is cringe humour and callbacks I don’t get.
Old 11-28-2020, 12:45 AM   #3248
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

There’s a lot more than 8 minutes worth of content, but even if you thought there was only that, then you clearly got the point of posting the video. It wasn’t about the high quality jokes about Menards or Goopy Goblin Brain, it’s about the actual points about the game he makes in the video, whether they’re 8 minutes long or 40 minutes long.

Which is (to summarise for people who don’t like YouTube gamer level humour) that Naughty Dog relies on outdated and largely boring gameplay, produces games where your actions are wildly inconsistent with the narrative proposed in cutscenes, and in the car of TLOU2: where the overall message is grade school level in it’s complexity and approaches with hamfists, where it gives you no real reason to care about anyone aside from the game screaming “CARE ABOUT THIS PERSON, THEY HAVE A NAME!” and where TLOU1 was the exception because Joel was a ####ty person, so his actions and the reactions to them made sense, and you actually cared about Ellie, because you were actually present for the formation of that relationship.
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 11-28-2020, 09:22 AM   #3249
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

That's a lot of it. There's a whole structural issue with the story too, but we've done this to death at this point. It was a good game for a lot of reasons, it had a lot of flaws that kept it from being a classic like its predecessor. No need to re-litigate it a dozen times.
Old 11-28-2020, 09:43 AM   #3250
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
That's a lot of it. There's a whole structural issue with the story too, but we've done this to death at this point. It was a good game for a lot of reasons, it had a lot of flaws that kept it from being a classic like its predecessor. No need to re-litigate it a dozen times.
I just bought it like two days ago and don’t follow the whole online gamer controversies at all so apologies but it is relevant to me!

I’ll admit I’m way, way behind the times though. I play games about 1-3 years past launch date. I’m like the GotY edition gamer. I don’t pay for DLC and I don’t deal with bugs.

I’m still finishing AC Odyssey. Currently in Elysium. About to pass the 100hr mark, which if I’m being honest is too much. This was at most a 70 hour game. Way too much repetition and pointless quests.
Old 11-28-2020, 09:50 AM   #3251
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, I do the same thing. Other than TLOUII and FF7 Remake, which are games I've obviously been anticipating for years, I haven't played a game near its release date since... I don't know when. I bought Odyssey at some point last year when it was on sale for 20 bucks and haven't touched it. When the lockdown started in March / April I finally got around to Spider Man... I don't go through games quickly enough to need to play the latest thing, and this is cheaper.

On the other hand...

Old 11-28-2020, 09:57 AM   #3252
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Speaking of Spider-Man, it’s on sale for like $25 (I don’t care about the PS5 version). With a trade-in I can get it for like $15. Is this something I must do?
Old 11-28-2020, 10:15 AM   #3253
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

More like something you should do. It's not a masterpiece by any standard, but it is a whole hell of a lot of fun. Even just traveling around the city to get from mission to mission (which is not quite an accurate portrayal of Manhattan but it kinda feels like it is) is fun. The combat is fun and if it gets repetitive you can change your playstyle through the suits and upgrades and mix things up. The story is solid comic book fare, nothing daring, but as a video game plot perfectly cromulent. Clearly a good buy at that price.
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 11-28-2020, 03:29 PM   #3254
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Man one thing I find annoying in Miles Morales is the game just never shuts up. You can’t go 30 seconds without some podcast playing or phone call coming through with some long conversation. Sometimes I just want to swing around with the cool beat playing and just enjoy that, you know? I had the same problem with Lost Legacy, characters never shut up, just jabbering to each other constantly.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 03:47 PM   #3255
Ped
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
Man one thing I find annoying in Miles Morales is the game just never shuts up. You can’t go 30 seconds without some podcast playing or phone call coming through with some long conversation. Sometimes I just want to swing around with the cool beat playing and just enjoy that, you know? I had the same problem with Lost Legacy, characters never shut up, just jabbering to each other constantly.

Reminds me of Vice City every time Lance would call.
Ped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 04:39 PM   #3256
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Working my way through WoW: Shadowlands. So far so good. It's got much more of a Legion feel than a BfA one, which is good (I didn't particularly like BfA).

The story is pretty linear, though, and it's the same for Horde/Alliance, which is a bit of a downer. If feels weird going to lvl 50 from 120, to.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 04:47 PM   #3257
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
I think you can turn off most of the podcast interruptions in the options.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 06:31 PM   #3258
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

nm
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 08:28 PM   #3259
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

I downloaded and am playing Metal Gear Solid The Phantom Pain. I've never played a MGS game before and so far it's great. I'm terrible at being sneaky and always seem to end up in gun battles, but it's fun. Is it more important to try and be sneaky or are the gun battles ok once in awhile?
Old 11-28-2020, 08:50 PM   #3260
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicat View Post
I downloaded and am playing Metal Gear Solid The Phantom Pain. I've never played a MGS game before and so far it's great. I'm terrible at being sneaky and always seem to end up in gun battles, but it's fun. Is it more important to try and be sneaky or are the gun battles ok once in awhile?
In that one gun battles are fine. Don't go guns blazing 100% of the time, but the game lets you play however you want
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote