Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Do you support the current version of CalgaryNEXT?
Yes 163 25.39%
No 356 55.45%
Undecided 123 19.16%
Voters: 642. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 03-09-2016, 02:14 PM   #601
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
As far as the ongoing battle with the Brothers Muta, you guys are trying to hold an indefensible position. Nobody believes that the first public rendering is what the final product will be, but everybody deserved something far better than that embarrassingly amateur rendering. The Flames completely effed up, and it has dramatically harmed their chances of gaining the necessary public support.
Pretty much this. That initial presentation was pure unadulterated amateur hour and now all the goodwill is gone.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 03-09-2016, 02:15 PM   #602
jammies
Basement Chicken Choker

Location: In a land without pants, or war, or want. But mostly we care about the pants.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
The funny thing is they needed good renderings just to get people to consider the possibility of tax dollars for this.
Yes, and the other point of good renderings is that it shows you haven't just spent the last half decade sitting around the office finding all the cat videos on Youtube and making a playlist. That's what made the CalgaryNEXT details so anti-climatic, it was entirely crap that could have been presented in 2010 with exactly the same (lack of) detail.

Obviously there's more to a project of this magnitude than pretty drawings and some blackmail pictures of city council taking bribes from the taxicab companies. However, if you can't even do the simple stuff right, how can anyone expect you to do the complex things properly? Even the freakin' Oilers did better - much better. It's like losing a game of tic-tac-toe to a lobotomized chicken.
Old 03-09-2016, 02:15 PM   #603
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
Dont feel sorry for me. You're the messenger delivering bad news; maybe you deserve the voracious response you're getting.
Right, shoot the messenger. That's a sound strategy. But right on par with the maturity level you're exhibiting in this thread.
The Following User Says Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2016, 02:16 PM   #604
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnes View Post
In all seriousness, I hope that next month the remediation report comes back and the projected cost is in the hundreds of millions.
That's a weird thing to hope for.

I hope it comes back and says that they were pleasantly surprised to discover that it'll cost much less to clean up then was previously thought. Sorry, I'm not going to hope for a high public clean-up cost just so it's easier to tell Ken King "no thanks".
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Parallex For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2016, 02:17 PM   #605
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
Right, shoot the messenger. That's a sound strategy. But right on par with the maturity level you're exhibiting in this thread.
LOL yeah that's funny considering you've done nothing but pump KK's shoes in this thread for the last X number of months . . . Take a break from the news and tidbits; perhaps find a hill to lie down on somewhere and be quiet with all related nEXT news.
Old 03-09-2016, 02:18 PM   #606
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parallex View Post

I hope it comes back and says that they were pleasantly surprised to discover that it'll cost much less to clean up then was previously thought. Sorry, I'm not going to hope for a high public clean-up cost just so it's easier to tell Ken King "no thanks".
Bang on.
Old 03-09-2016, 02:21 PM   #607
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Dont feel sorry for me. You're the messenger delivering bad news; maybe you deserve the voracious response you're getting.
Quote:
Quote:
LOL yeah that's funny considering you've done nothing but pump KK's shoes in this thread for the last X number of months . . . Take a break from the news and tidbits; perhaps find a hill to lie down on somewhere and be quiet with all related nEXT news.
Good lord...

Could you two leave this nonsense for your next family reunion?
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2016, 02:23 PM   #608
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I see you have suddenly switched sides?
The Following User Says Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2016, 02:25 PM   #609
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Table - you know I respect your opinion. Just wanted to say thank you for the mature response in this thread, it's a breath of fresh air.
Ha, I'm sure I've had my fair share of immature responses in this thread too!

I think in the end we all realize that this project has hugely transformational possibilities and want it to succeed. Calgary has come a long way when it comes to planning and design, it would be a real shame to end up with a mediocre result...especially when Edmonton is doing something really fantastic up north.
The Following User Says Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2016, 02:26 PM   #610
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
They get squirrely when people call them out as brothers. Except the only bloody reason anyone actually cases is the fact that they get squirrely.

I mean, I can just picture them furiously texting each other right now. "Hey, turn on me man... we need to fool them and throw them off track!"
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2016, 02:27 PM   #611
Ozy_Flame

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
Ha, I'm sure I've had my fair share of immature responses in this thread too!

I think in the end we all realize that this project has hugely transformational possibilities and want it to succeed. Calgary has come a long way when it comes to planning and design, it would be a real shame to end up with a mediocre result...especially when Edmonton is doing something really fantastic up north.
I'm up in Edmonton quite often. It's a fantastic facility that I get jealous of when I drive by it. At one time it was a concept as well, but now that it's being built, it's great to see. Definitely one thing they have over us is that arena going for them.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2016, 02:29 PM   #612
sun
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Shoot the messenger? What was the message? The analogy only makes sense if ozymutaflame said "hey guys, this will be some kind of underwhelming presentation, don't get your hopes up" and everyone attacked.
Old 03-09-2016, 02:30 PM   #613
sun
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
I think they're trying to be funny.
Old 03-09-2016, 02:31 PM   #614
RM14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Definitely one thing they have over us is that arena going for them.
Luckily we have the advantage of time to one up them! and all bragging will be restored.
Old 03-09-2016, 02:32 PM   #615
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parallex View Post

That's not what I said. Your convenient clipping of my post changed the meaning but my overall intention may not have been clear.

The Flames don't consider the CRL or the land donation 'Public funds'. If it comes back that the CMLC can't redevelop the WV by eating the opportunity cost of not selling and taking advantage of the land they give up to the Flames, the whole funding model falls apart. The assumption that they can just slide right in and make use of a CRL in the community and remediation and support infrastructure will just work itself out because they think they add value is potentially is shaky at best. Maybe then we will see a reasonable proposal for a new facility with a funding model that at least is honest as well as allow the CMLC do what it does best. Clean up and revitalize a blighted area without having to bend to the Flames.

Last edited by Barnes; 03-09-2016 at 02:35 PM.
Old 03-09-2016, 02:32 PM   #616
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Was Ken King successful at the Herald?

Does anyone remember the circumstances around his initial hiring?
Old 03-09-2016, 02:33 PM   #617
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Hey, let's all shoot the messenger!
Except the only message he is bringing us is, "I've seen something you haven't seen. Be jealous!"

Telling us it is going to be amazing isn't a useful tidbit, especially after the last presentation was revealed. Some telling us to wait for it isn't helpful and it doesn't get us excited. I'm not asking him to give us all of the details, break any confidentiality agreements he has, nor get himself fired, but it's pretty annoying to continue to say something is going to be awesome and we just have to wait. Even if he wasn't saying that, I'd assume a project that's taken this long to reveal, about my favourite hockey team, with a vision to transform Calgary, would be awesome. This doesn't need some low budget hype man screaming "Yeaaaahhhh booooyyy".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Jesus this site these days
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
He just seemed like a very nice person. I loved Squiggy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I should probably stop posting at this point
The Following User Says Thank You to squiggs96 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2016, 02:33 PM   #618
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Show me something where I 'pump KK's shoes' the last number of months... please. If not, go back to your cave, troll.
Old 03-09-2016, 02:33 PM   #619
Ozy_Flame

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM14 View Post
Luckily we have the advantage of time to one up them! and all bragging will be restored.
I'll wait 8 years if it means a good sports district in Calgary and blows Edmonton out of the water, no problems with that!
Old 03-09-2016, 02:35 PM   #620
Scary Eloranta
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Wow, tough crowd.

If you think a massive, connected arena / stadium anchoring the revitalization of an outdated district is underwhelming, I don't know what to say. You may not like the design or the renderings that were released (I'm not the largest fan of them either), but to have a single building that combines our city's sports facilities is pretty special. It's rarely been done anywhere else.
Which is precisely why I'd love to see them pull it off somehow. Not a big fan of the sketches either BTW.
Closed Thread