Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 12-14-2018, 10:10 AM   #5541
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

I always wonder whether its good to mess with a team's chemistry if they are playing well...i remember trading for Brad Stuart one year, and to be honest, i thought the flames looked worse after that... certainly didn't help them in a playoff run...

i understand some of the debate around a goalie, but typically their value is higher during the season...

sometimes doing nothing is a better strategy
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to oldschoolcalgary For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2018, 10:14 AM   #5542
Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMike View Post
Oh man do I hope we somehow get Quick. Conditional first making the conference finals, kylington and another b prospect.
I would hate to see the Flames give up dynamic, cost-controlled Kylington for injury-plagued, over-priced Quick. That would be a step backwards (from my perspective).
Old 12-14-2018, 10:18 AM   #5543
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

No thanks on Quick, too injury-prone for my liking. Would rather attempt to go for Talbot in the off-season, see what he can do without the Oilers stink, and not give up Kylington at the same time.
Old 12-14-2018, 10:21 AM   #5544
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makarov View Post
I would hate to see the Flames give up dynamic, cost-controlled Kylington for injury-plagued, over-priced Quick. That would be a step backwards (from my perspective).
They have to look forward and determine which, if any, of Kylington/Andersson/Valimaki they can stand to lose IMO.

It looks very likely that one of them would be exposed in the expansion draft if they want to protect Hanifin....which is a lock at this point.

So now do you use one of those guys and get a (hopefully) answer in net for 3 years or just lose one for truly...nothing?

And how is Quick over priced?
Old 12-14-2018, 10:27 AM   #5545
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
They have to look forward and determine which, if any, of Kylington/Andersson/Valimaki they can stand to lose IMO.

It looks very likely that one of them would be exposed in the expansion draft if they want to protect Hanifin....which is a lock at this point.

So now do you use one of those guys and get a (hopefully) answer in net for 3 years or just lose one for truly...nothing?

And how is Quick over priced?
Could be wrong but I think he's talking about the trade price, not his contract.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2018, 10:36 AM   #5546
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Looking at his deeper stats (5v5 isolates, High Danger, etc) Quick would be a huge get. At first glance he’s not a lot better than Smith, but most of the more detailed stats suggest otherwise. He could potentially be a solution for the next 2-3 years, while Smith is gone after this season.

I’d say make the plunge if you can get him.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2018, 10:41 AM   #5547
Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Could be wrong but I think he's talking about the trade price, not his contract.
I think $5.8 million per season for four season after this one (until age 36) is not likely to be good value for a player showing signs of declining. It would be a significant risk.
Old 12-14-2018, 11:37 AM   #5548
neo45
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I don’t know all that much about goalies, but I think Crawford is actually better than Quick and would be cheaper to acquire since they aren’t in our division.

Biggest issue with him is health
Old 12-14-2018, 11:39 AM   #5549
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
I think $5.8 million per season for four season after this one (until age 36) is not likely to be good value for a player showing signs of declining. It would be a significant risk.
He’s also Parsons hero....
The Following User Says Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2018, 11:40 AM   #5550
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Why get Quick when we have Quick Jr.
Old 12-14-2018, 11:51 AM   #5551
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
No thanks on Quick, too injury-prone for my liking
This isn’t a thing. Someone could get injured 15 times in 2 years and then never again. The game is rough, guys get injured. Sometimes they happen in close succession, sometimes guys avoid them for their whole career.

It’s more luck than anything. (Excluding players with known conditioning issues).
The Following User Says Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2018, 12:19 PM   #5552
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
This isn’t a thing. Someone could get injured 15 times in 2 years and then never again. The game is rough, guys get injured. Sometimes they happen in close succession, sometimes guys avoid them for their whole career.

It’s more luck than anything. (Excluding players with known conditioning issues).
Being injury-prone is a thing.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2018, 12:30 PM   #5553
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Bennett a 2nd and Kylington for Quick?

Likely a no from the Kings but would certainly address one area for the Flames.

Also depends on what the Kings want or can do with Carter. Sounds like the Bruins are pretty interested
I really dont think bennett is the center piece of any trades at this point

Hes had 2 straight seasons of 26 points, and this year hes on the same pace. 3 years in a row seems to be a case of you are what you are

At this point hes a throw in, or a swap of underperforming high prospects who maybe need a change of scenery
Old 12-14-2018, 12:32 PM   #5554
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
Being injury-prone is a thing.
Depends on the injury. Concussions, joints, back, sure. Weird stuff like Backlund has had in the past, not so much.
Old 12-14-2018, 01:42 PM   #5555
colbym72
First Line Centre

Exp:

I am curious what Jeff Carter would be worth. That retirement thing is scary, but the contract is great and he would give the Flames that second great offensive centre that could really take them over the top. Jankowski would be the odd man out probably forcing him to move to wing, but something to think about. What do you think his price would be? Probably tough to acquire a player within the division
Old 12-14-2018, 01:49 PM   #5556
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by colbym72 View Post
I am curious what Jeff Carter would be worth. That retirement thing is scary, but the contract is great and he would give the Flames that second great offensive centre that could really take them over the top. Jankowski would be the odd man out probably forcing him to move to wing, but something to think about. What do you think his price would be? Probably tough to acquire a player within the division
I saw an Athletic article where a NHL exec suggested the price will probably be a 1st, prospect, and roster player.

What would concern me more is if he really wants to be in Calgary for the rest of his contract. He really screwed over the Blue Jackets with how unhappy he was to be there. Don't want a repeat of that situation happening here.
Old 12-14-2018, 01:50 PM   #5557
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You do realize we are going to lose Kylington for nothing come expansion right?
Old 12-14-2018, 01:55 PM   #5558
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Yeah, it may not be Kylington, but people resistant to trade a young defenceman should be well aware that the odds are not in favour of us having all of them in 2 years anyway.
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2018, 01:59 PM   #5559
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

If the equivalent pick for Kylington is a 2nd or 3rd round pick, I'd rather move the pick than the player this year.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2018, 02:04 PM   #5560
Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Not necessarily. Lots can happen between now and 2021. In any event, even if you were to convince me that losing Kylington in the expansion draft is inevitable (which, as a long-time self-professed Kylington fanboy, would make me ), then I would still want to see Kyington moved () for a more long-term asset (perhaps a young, expansion-draft-exempt forward or something).
Closed Thread