Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-15-2010, 03:42 PM   #41
Misterpants
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcolmk14 View Post
What are the "good pizza places"?
Smaller restaurants that charge more but use fresh ingredients. Everybody usually has a favourite place in their neck of the woods. The problem is they are seldom open at 2 in the morning.

Even though it sounds elitist I agree with Pinner in preferring to not order from the chains if it can be avoided. The extra 10 bucks thrown at the bill is well worth it.
Misterpants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 03:57 PM   #42
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misterpants View Post
Smaller restaurants that charge more but use fresh ingredients. Everybody usually has a favourite place in their neck of the woods. The problem is they are seldom open at 2 in the morning.

Even though it sounds elitist I agree with Pinner in preferring to not order from the chains if it can be avoided. The extra 10 bucks thrown at the bill is well worth it.
Okay, that's fine I'm not challenging your distinction between good and bad pizza places, but could you please point me in the direction of some good places so I can try them out? I'd love to have some good pizza.

If it helps, I'm in the Discovery Ridge area, but am willing to go anywhere.
malcolmk14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 04:01 PM   #43
Pinner
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
What are the "good pizza places"?
I moved away from Calgary 20yr's ago so I can't help much, but I'm sure there are a few left.

I'm sure my regular place is closed now, but I had a great place back then, Tops Pizza in Varsity. He was a great cook, a nice golden brown almost fried crisp on the bottom of the crust and the cheese golden brown almost to the point of burning.

Edmonton has Royal Pizza, the one near the small airport in the city makes great Pizza! Try it.
Pinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 04:01 PM   #44
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Okay, that's fine I'm not challenging your distinction between good and bad pizza places, but could you please point me in the direction of some good places so I can try them out? I'd love to have some good pizza.

Slightly OT, but I have a buddy that just bought a place in Discovery Ridge and moves in next month. Aside from pizza places, are there any other good restaurants in the area?
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 04:03 PM   #45
Misterpants
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

You are in luck my friend. Go to Sophie's Pizza. You will not be sorry! It's right on Richmond Road near Sarcee, so they should deliver. *crosses fingers* 'cause I'm moving there...
Old 07-15-2010, 04:04 PM   #46
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

That youtube was interesting. I didn't know true chicago deep dish has cheese on the bottom and Parmesan on top. Seems wrong, but I have to trust them.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 04:22 PM   #47
Captain_Obvious
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I'm in the NW near SAIT...

Anyone have a suggestion for good (non chain) Pizza I can order tonight from a place around this area?
Captain_Obvious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 04:31 PM   #48
Misterpants
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Obvious View Post

Anyone have a suggestion for good (non chain) Pizza I can order tonight from a place around this area?
Try Vina Pizza and Steakhouse. Went there a loooong time ago and remember it being pretty good. Would love for a confirmatory report.

Be the CP pizza guinea pig!
The Following User Says Thank You to Misterpants For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2010, 04:38 PM   #49
Jbo
NOT a cool kid

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinner View Post
I moved away from Calgary 20yr's ago so I can't help much, but I'm sure there are a few left.

I'm sure my regular place is closed now, but I had a great place back then, Tops Pizza in Varsity. He was a great cook, a nice golden brown almost fried crisp on the bottom of the crust and the cheese golden brown almost to the point of burning.

Edmonton has Royal Pizza, the one near the small airport in the city makes great Pizza! Try it.
It's now called Varsity Pizza, and I believe they just went through an ownership change.

Great subs and pizzas still
Jbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 04:40 PM   #50
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Slightly OT, but I have a buddy that just bought a place in Discovery Ridge and moves in next month. Aside from pizza places, are there any other good restaurants in the area?
I like the Indian take-out beside the liquor store.

La Villa on Sirocco Drive (by Sunterra) is quite good.

Why Not Italian? in Strathcona has great service.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2010, 05:01 PM   #51
Pinner
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-bo09 View Post
It's now called Varsity Pizza, and I believe they just went through an ownership change.

Yep, that's the place, (I looked on google maps) good prices too compared to up here in the north.

http://www.varsitypizza.ca/Pizza_Menu.html

Last edited by Pinner; 07-15-2010 at 05:28 PM.
Pinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 05:45 PM   #52
chalms04
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Obvious View Post

Cedar Grove donair pizza om nom nom.
chalms04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 07:35 PM   #53
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

+1 for Matador the NW, order it at work ll the time. The chicken / feta / spinach is awesome.

If you live in south centralish, Hawaiin Pizza / Red Carpet in Mayfair Place is probably the best Pizza in town. The place is legendary, and is one of the last of the "old school" places left in town. I think they have been there since 75 or something.

It is expensive but you get a 16" monster for about 30 bucks, and it is like dying and going to Pizza heaven. Mounds of toppings, top quality cheese and not too much dough. The thing has gotta weigh about 6 or 7 pounds, and it takes about 5 people with big appetites to eat it. Highly reccomended.

Anyone remember Venus Pizza that was next to Big4 on Macleod Tr.? That place was awesome too. Now its a pub, can't remember the name though.
pylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 07:40 PM   #54
Komskies
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pylon View Post
+1 for Matador the NW, order it at work ll the time. The chicken / feta / spinach is awesome.

If you live in south centralish, Hawaiin Pizza / Red Carpet in Mayfair Place is probably the best Pizza in town. The place is legendary, and is one of the last of the "old school" places left in town. I think they have been there since 75 or something.

It is expensive but you get a 16" monster for about 30 bucks, and it is like dying and going to Pizza heaven. Mounds of toppings, top quality cheese and not too much dough. The thing has gotta weigh about 6 or 7 pounds, and it takes about 5 people with big appetites to eat it. Highly reccomended.

Anyone remember Venus Pizza that was next to Big4 on Macleod Tr.? That place was awesome too. Now its a pub, can't remember the name though.
Dude don't even. You're going to make me all sad now just thinking about it.
Komskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 07:53 PM   #55
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komskies View Post
Dude don't even. You're going to make me all sad now just thinking about it.
I hear ya. That was our family place. Back in the days where you got dressed up nice, piled in the woody wagon, and it was a special treat to go out for a Family dinner. The classic 70's dim lit vinyl and dark oak decor. Somehow those guys managed to have this perfect brown crust on the cheese without burning the dough. That place was special, and I get sad seeing it as a pub now (Limericks?? I think), lots of cool late 70's early 80's memories there.
pylon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pylon For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2010, 07:54 PM   #56
Keselke
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-bo09 View Post

Yeah new owners, as far as I can tell they havent changed any of the recipes

Prices are awsome on anything really Pizzas, subs etc etc

Always have the paper around if you wanna just catch a quick sub and read the paper or something.
Keselke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 08:22 PM   #57
Captain_Obvious
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misterpants View Post
Try Vina Pizza and Steakhouse. Went there a loooong time ago and remember it being pretty good. Would love for a confirmatory report.

Confirmed... good stuff!

About a 7.5 to 8 out of 10 (10 being the best I've ever had)...

Definitely better than any of the chains.

Nice crispy crust, not thin but thinner than most... good taste. Not a crazy amount of cheese / toppings but it did the trick.

Thanks for the suggestion.
Captain_Obvious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 09:00 PM   #58
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Red Carpet FTW
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 09:09 PM   #59
wpgflamesfan
3 Wolves Short of 2 Millionth Post

Exp:

Even though it's a chain I gotta say Famoso has the best pizza up here in Edmonton (I'm pretty sure Calgary has one too). Plus their Mascarpone & Berries dessert is unreal.
wpgflamesfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 10:27 PM   #60
TnT~55
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Matador pizza in Varsity is my favourite by far.
TnT~55 is offline   Reply With Quote