Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum

View Poll Results: If you could vote on Super Tuesday who would you vote for?
Joe Biden 35 16.43%
Michael Bloomberg 14 6.57%
Pete Buttigieg 18 8.45%
Amy Klobucher 9 4.23%
Bernie Sanders 102 47.89%
Elizabeth Warren 23 10.80%
Other 12 5.63%
Voters: 213. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-14-2020, 02:56 PM   #1281
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
The question is, is day to day life really worse off for the average american (you) over the last 4 years?
Enough to move to what Bernie is selling?

With the economy the way it is and unemployment at 3.5%, I can't see this swing for change enough to win the presidency.

Trump is a solid favorite now. close to -200 with the bookies.
The average American is definitely better off than four years ago, or at least this is what they say, and are optimistic that they will be better off 4 years from now. This is a sentiment shared across party lines, at least to some degree.
Though this is probably in spite of Trump, it means something come November.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EldrickOnIce For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2020, 03:11 PM   #1282
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

So looks like Ilhan Omar was right about AIPAC.

https://theintercept.com/2020/02/14/...rs-ads-nevada/

Quote:
THE AMERICAN ISRAEL Public Affairs Committee is helping to fund a Super PAC launching attack ads against Sen. Bernie Sanders in Nevada on Saturday, according to two sources with knowledge of the arrangement. The ads are being run by a group called Democratic Majority for Israel, founded by longtime AIPAC strategist Mark Mellman.

The Nevada attack ads, which will air in media markets in Reno and Las Vegas, follow a similar spending blitz by DMFI ahead of the Iowa caucuses. Like the ads that aired in Iowa, the Nevada ads will attack Sanders on the idea that he’s not electable, Mediaite reported.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 03:30 PM   #1283
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
I am not really seeing why this is obviously wrong. Until Bernie or at least Bernie and Warren start to come anywhere near the 50% mark, it is a perfectly valid for an opinion piece to say that the progressives are sitting at about 1/3 the vote so far, and 2/3s want a moderate.

You didn't really offer anything constructive to counter that opinion. There are pro Sanders, AOC and Warren opinion pieces in the Post all of the time.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 03:33 PM   #1284
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfotiu View Post
I am not really seeing why this is obviously wrong. Until Bernie or at least Bernie and Warren start to come anywhere near the 50% mark, it is a perfectly valid for an opinion piece to say that the progressives are sitting at about 1/3 the vote so far, and 2/3s want a moderate.

You didn't really offer anything constructive to counter that opinion. There are pro Sanders, AOC and Warren opinion pieces in the Post all of the time.
Interestingly enough

Quote:
A new Yahoo News/YouGov poll shows that Sen. Bernie Sanders would defeat each of the other Democratic presidential candidates in a one-on-one race — in many instances by double-digit margins.
https://news.yahoo.com/new-yahoo-new...181522968.html
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 03:37 PM   #1285
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Yeah but this was the same talking point with Trump in 2016, that he rarely got above 35% until the field whittled down. While it may be true that the centrist vote combined is the majority, this isn't a team competition. It's also a bit much to suggest if for instance Biden and Klobuchar dropped out, that 100% of their support would go to Buttigieg. End of the day the centrist block put all their chips on the wrong horse in Biden. Although who the #### could have known Bloomberg was the right horse to back?
Old 02-14-2020, 03:39 PM   #1286
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

The whole notion of "moderate" Democrats "reemerging" is absolutely stupid. They've been at the forefront of the party since I've been alive. And to say that the second and third place results are bigger stories than who finished first is moronic unless you're intentionally trying to spin a story in favour of centrist candidates.

Last edited by rubecube; 02-14-2020 at 03:44 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2020, 03:47 PM   #1287
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

The big story isn't really Bernie either. The big story, which is being largely ignored, is Biden's collapse. He was assumed a shoo-in for basically a year and the polls said as much. Now he might not even make Super Tuesday. Pretty unprecedented.
Old 02-14-2020, 04:00 PM   #1288
Mathgod
Franchise Player

Exp:

My letter to Andrew Yang:
Mathgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 07:04 PM   #1289
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

You know, at first I didn't much like Bloomberg coming in hard to this race, because he has publicly made very supportive statements about China's government and he has a lot of business interests in China. That inherently made me not want him in the role. As time has gone by and he continues to pour money into his campaign, I've started to wonder more about his motivation and whether or not his familiarity with China is what's driving him. He knows what it's like for billionaires under a totalitarian leader. They are constantly vulnerable and under threat. I also don't get the impression he is doing this out of ego or for self-enrichment. Nor is he motivated by a core issue like the environment as Steyer is. I'm increasingly of the view that he's doing this out of self preservation and security of his own interests because he knows how bad it could get. What else would motivate a guy like him to spend what will likely become billions of his personal wealth in becoming president?

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 07:08 PM   #1290
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
Yeah but this was the same talking point with Trump in 2016, that he rarely got above 35% until the field whittled down. While it may be true that the centrist vote combined is the majority, this isn't a team competition. It's also a bit much to suggest if for instance Biden and Klobuchar dropped out, that 100% of their support would go to Buttigieg. End of the day the centrist block put all their chips on the wrong horse in Biden. Although who the #### could have known Bloomberg was the right horse to back?
Like GirlySports said earlier, Trump benefited from getting all the winner take all states while getting his 30% of the vote. It doesn't work that way for the Democrats.

Sure, all the moderate's won't get behind the moderate left, but until Bernie starts getting at least until the low 40s, it's tough to say that he has a good path to a majority as people drop out.

Bloomberg is all hype and money and not a lot of real people saying they'll vote for him. I'm not seeing him get more than 15% of the super Tuesday vote.
Old 02-14-2020, 07:56 PM   #1291
Mathgod
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
The question is, is day to day life really worse off for the average american (you) over the last 4 years?
Enough to move to what Bernie is selling?

With the economy the way it is and unemployment at 3.5%, I can't see this swing for change enough to win the presidency.

Trump is a solid favorite now. close to -200 with the bookies.
The US economy is a house of cards. Consumer debt, corporate debt, and government debt are all at ALL TIME highs. Environmental protections are being gutted. Trump's policies only exacerbate these problems. When the bubble bursts, it will be an ugly, ugly situation.

The way I see it, the US population can either choose a few more years of a sugar-high economy with a ticking time bomb attached to it, or they can choose to defuse the bomb by electing a democratic President and congress.
Old 02-14-2020, 08:25 PM   #1292
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathgod View Post
The US economy is a house of cards. Consumer debt, corporate debt, and government debt are all at ALL TIME highs. Environmental protections are being gutted. Trump's policies only exacerbate these problems. When the bubble bursts, it will be an ugly, ugly situation.

The way I see it, the US population can either choose a few more years of a sugar-high economy with a ticking time bomb attached to it, or they can choose to defuse the bomb by electing a democratic President and congress.
Every thing you say is true. It’s an impossible message to win a majority of votes on. Democracy’s major flaw is being able to provide for any kind of long term strategy. Populist movements from both sides and social media has created this hyper democracy that makes it even a bigger problem. Trump undermining the institutions that were designed to be apolitical makes it even worse.

It’s like we are getting to find out if a bunch of opinionated and reactionary posters on a message board can run a hockey team better than coaches and gms qualified to do the job.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nfotiu For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2020, 09:22 PM   #1293
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm a fan of Bernie but I found this hilarious and quite true around the internet, like on Twitter or Reddit.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1228519058691313665
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to activeStick For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2020, 10:14 PM   #1294
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:

I agree but they will for sure choose the gravy train thinking it'll last forever.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 10:27 PM   #1295
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Neither party are proposing to defuse the bomb though, they differ in what they are going to blow it all to hell for, but they both wish to shovel borrowed money off the back of a truck, and the US voter is all in for the sugar high so why not
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2020, 10:50 AM   #1296
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Everyone does realize that Sanders will have the same battle against the 'deep state' that Trump has, right?

It is clear that long-time Democrats both in government and in media positions have been working for years to undermine his campaign, and should he be elected President he will have the same fight trying to push through his policies that Trump is having. Call it whatever you want, but a lot of powerful people will fight very hard to stop him from succeeding.

Yesterday Sanders said he would legalize marijuana with an executive order. There are literally trillions of dollars on the line, and I don't know if he has the political will or stamina to win. His age, and the fact that he recently has had health issues are definite concerns.

That being said I think he is probably the best candidate in the race, but I don't see him winning against Trump if the Democrats can align behind him.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 11:37 AM   #1297
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Look at that, someone actually gets it.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...d-purity-wars/

Quote:
Bernie Sanders is more of a pragmatist than you may think. He’s even more of a pragmatist than many of his own supporters think. In fact, throughout his career Sanders has managed to make a case for maximalist policy such as single-payer health care while still supporting compromises such as the Affordable Care Act when his vote was needed.

Much of Sanders’s career has been devoted to moving the debate to the left, giving voice to ideas and policy proposals that aren’t given much consideration in “mainstream” circles. And just as you wouldn’t walk into a negotiation saying “I’d like to pay $250,000 for this house, but if you ask for $300,000 I’ll probably say yes,” you don’t want to compromise with yourself before negotiations begin. Likewise, as a candidate Sanders can’t say that he knows he’ll fail to pass his signature policy proposal.
The Following User Says Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2020, 01:44 PM   #1298
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Look at that, someone actually gets it.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...d-purity-wars/
Weren't you just criticizing WaPo for being a mayor Pete mouthpiece?
Old 02-15-2020, 01:56 PM   #1299
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not to be grim, but given Bernie’s age and normal life expectancy, it isn’t far fetched that he could die or become sick in office in his first term. And imo, when choosing a nominee, you have to be thinking 2 terms.

Who he chooses as a running mate will be a big deal since there is a reasonable possibility that person may be sworn in as president at some point as well.
Old 02-15-2020, 04:41 PM   #1300
Mathgod
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
I'm a fan of Bernie but I found this hilarious and quite true around the internet, like on Twitter or Reddit.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1228519058691313665
In fairness, the same thing pretty much happens when you post anything critical of just about any candidate who has a big following...

Regarding Bernie, I found this to be quite interesting...

https://i.redd.it/ztxf2vypq0h41.jpg

Last edited by Mathgod; 02-15-2020 at 04:50 PM.
Mathgod is offline   Reply With Quote