Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-2021, 08:46 PM   #81
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
90 minutes into the Lynch version and we’re at the end of part one. Villeneuve version will have a much more in depth part two considering there’s only 45 minutes left in this one.

The story is basically identical so far, I’m really not seeing what the guy in that article was talking about when he said the Lynch version was unique. Lynch version is low budget and rushed but doesn’t have anything story wise that’s different.

Spoiler!
They are pretty much identical at the major plot points since they are following the book. If anything, the differences are what is cut and condensed from the book and what is not.

What's really going to be different from the book is the fighting techniques and the ending of Lynch's movie is of course is completely against what the entire saga is about.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 08:49 PM   #82
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
Also I do like that the "slow blade penetrates the shield" is actually visually and logically demonstrated here and works to explain why there aren't really guns in this universe - bullets would have too much kinetic energy to penetrate the shields. Everybody has to fight with blades and then adjust their attacks to get through.
that was the part that got me.

"Hey, we have these giant guns that can take down huge ships, but a little 'pew pew', naw, we can't do that. Blades only!"

To me that's a fascinating part of the universe that makes it unique. One technological development trumps another.

I do wonder, why was AI banned in this universe? Why are there no computers? I don't know the backstory on that one, so if anyone can explain it, tag it in spoilers.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 09:34 PM   #83
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
that was the part that got me.

"Hey, we have these giant guns that can take down huge ships, but a little 'pew pew', naw, we can't do that. Blades only!"

To me that's a fascinating part of the universe that makes it unique. One technological development trumps another.

I do wonder, why was AI banned in this universe? Why are there no computers? I don't know the backstory on that one, so if anyone can explain it, tag it in spoilers.
There's tons of granular stuff like that they left out ... Like lasers hitting shield would create a small thermonuclear detonation...

As for the Mentats (who are human computers), I don't think its a spoiler... but there was an, um, incident centuries earlier

Spoiler!

Not sure this will be covered later on now that part 2 has been greenlit.

Even Paul Krugman took the time to praise the movie in a column today https://www.nytimes.com/2021/10/26/o...on-series.html

Last edited by oldschoolcalgary; 10-26-2021 at 10:07 PM.
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to oldschoolcalgary For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2021, 10:14 PM   #84
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Huh. Well that Lynch version wasn’t the worst 80s movie I’ve ever seen, but it wasn’t good. Sting should be marooned in space for his performance. I don’t care if it was 40 years ago. The D-Girl from the Sopranos played the child nun. The Zendaya character was played by Rachael from Blade Runner and Lt Einhorn from Ace Ventura. And Al from Quantum Leap was the family doctor.

Yes, that’s about all I got out of this movie was the actors I recognized from other stuff.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 10:26 PM   #85
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolcalgary View Post
Dune Part 2 now official.

https://variety.com/2021/film/news/d...el-1235094974/

super happy that there will be a full movie that covers the first book at minimum
The spice must flowwwwwwwwww
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 10:04 AM   #86
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Huh. Well that Lynch version wasn’t the worst 80s movie I’ve ever seen, but it wasn’t good. Sting should be marooned in space for his performance. I don’t care if it was 40 years ago. The D-Girl from the Sopranos played the child nun. The Zendaya character was played by Rachael from Blade Runner and Lt Einhorn from Ace Ventura. And Al from Quantum Leap was the family doctor.

Yes, that’s about all I got out of this movie was the actors I recognized from other stuff.
Did you miss Captain Picard?

And the soundtrack was by Toto and Brian Eno. I own the LP. I love it.
Old 10-27-2021, 10:10 AM   #87
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Even Paul Krugman took the time to praise the movie in a column today https://www.nytimes.com/2021/10/26/o...on-series.html
Interesting his take on the Foundation TV series, it can probably go into the Foundation thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Krugman
So how does the Apple TV series turn this into a visually compelling tale? It doesn’t. What it does instead is remake “Star Wars” under another name. There are indispensable heroes, mystical powers, even a Death Star. These aren’t necessarily bad things to include in a TV series, but they’re completely antithetical to the spirit of Asimov’s writing. Pretending that this series has anything to do with the “Foundation” novels is fraudulent marketing, and I’ve stopped watching.

So why was the 1984 film a disaster? Because the director — yes, David Lynch — either didn’t grasp the subtlety and richness or decided that audiences couldn’t handle it. That is, he did to “Dune” what Apple TV has done to “Foundation.” For example, in the book there’s the “weirding way of battle,” which is about using psychology and deception to overcome foes; in Lynch’s film this was replaced with some kind of gadget.

The great thing about Denis Villeneuve’s “Dune: Part I” is that he respects the audience enough to retain the book’s spirit. He trimmed the narrative to reduce it to filmable size — and even so, his two and a half hours cover only the first half of the book — but he didn’t dumb it down. Instead, he relies on spectacle and spine-tingling action to hold our attention despite the density of the story. In so doing he made a film worthy of the source material.
Despite my qualms with the art/design choices of Dune 2021, I wholeheartedly say we are fortunate to get a movie that lives up to a lot of the original source material here and it didn't get Star Wars'd which is what the producers wanted in Dune 1984.
Old 10-28-2021, 07:11 PM   #88
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
Interesting his take on the Foundation TV series, it can probably go into the Foundation thread:

Despite my qualms with the art/design choices of Dune 2021, I wholeheartedly say we are fortunate to get a movie that lives up to a lot of the original source material here and it didn't get Star Wars'd which is what the producers wanted in Dune 1984.
You can tell Villaneuve puts so much thought into every design choice he makes, hearing him talk about the gom jabbar scene in that video someone posted was really fascinating.
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to d_phaneuf For This Useful Post:
Old 10-28-2021, 10:30 PM   #89
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

So, finally had a chance to watch Dune on Imax... its a bit of a challenging thing to review. I thought there were some great things but some editorial decisions, that I might not have done, that were made to reduce the length of the film.

I was left a little wanting, but mainly because I know the first book pretty well. The friends I went with, who didn't know anything about the book, thought it was great.

I understand why some people would have some issues with pacing. The critique that it was 'too slow, but then too fast' is something I can understand completely...

On a technical level it was a masterpiece, narratively, I would probably give it an 8.

Rebecca Ferguson was great, and same with Chalamet... No one had a bad performance

My biggest issues

Spoiler!

I wish that Villeneuve had done this as a series however, as it would have been absolutely spectacular... I hope and pray that there will be an extended version released on Bluray at some point in the future.

So long as Thufir isn't milking a cat for an anitdote, i'll score it one for Villeneuve and zero for Lynch

Last edited by oldschoolcalgary; 10-28-2021 at 10:49 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to oldschoolcalgary For This Useful Post:
Old 10-28-2021, 11:00 PM   #90
Mathgod
Franchise Player

Exp:

Haven't seen either of the Dune films, but I have fond memories of playing "Dune 2000" many moons ago. It adopted most of the themes from the original book/film.

Mathgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 11:04 PM   #91
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

I just loved it. Visually stunning like all of Villeneuve's work. The scene with the worm, the ornithopters and Leito saving the men in the harvester was perfect. They moved some stuff around order wise which I didn't mind actually. It's just hard to believe how much more they have to cover if they do continue with the movies. Still processing what I just saw.
flames_fan_down_under is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 02:14 AM   #92
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

It really is just as enjoyable on a second viewing.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 11:44 PM   #93
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
So, finally had a chance to watch Dune on Imax... its a bit of a challenging thing to review. I thought there were some great things but some editorial decisions, that I might not have done, that were made to reduce the length of the film.

I was left a little wanting, but mainly because I know the first book pretty well. The friends I went with, who didn't know anything about the book, thought it was great.

I understand why some people would have some issues with pacing. The critique that it was 'too slow, but then too fast' is something I can understand completely...

On a technical level it was a masterpiece, narratively, I would probably give it an 8.

Rebecca Ferguson was great, and same with Chalamet... No one had a bad performance

My biggest issues

Spoiler!

I wish that Villeneuve had done this as a series however, as it would have been absolutely spectacular... I hope and pray that there will be an extended version released on Bluray at some point in the future.

So long as Thufir isn't milking a cat for an anitdote, i'll score it one for Villeneuve and zero for Lynch
I re-read the book for the first time in decades before going to see the movie and I
NSFW!

Last edited by D as in David; 10-30-2021 at 04:27 PM.
D as in David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 11:52 PM   #94
savemedrzaius
Help, save, whatever.

Exp:

Just saw it and thought it was great. I've been on a sci-fi book run for the last 2 years and plan on reading this next.

For those of you who have read the books what is the complete series? I saw Herbert wrote 6 but then his son finished the series after he died? What books are required reading to get the complete story?
savemedrzaius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2021, 12:14 AM   #95
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I thought it was outstanding.

The lead acted his face off. So many intricate little expressions and range he had to show throughout the film. The supporting cast all brought their game too. Momoa's character was very likeable and bad-ass.

Mind you I'm also a sucker for atmospheric world-building movies and sci-fi.

But for me it was the most well executed "grandiose" sci-fi feature since BR2049.

The immediate allure and immersiveness of the universe was like watching Fellowship for the first time. And similarly, a lot of walking/traveling. Could feel their exhaustion. Now I'm fascinated to learn about all the lore. Bravo..
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2021, 12:31 AM   #96
accord1999
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by savemedrzaius View Post
For those of you who have read the books what is the complete series? I saw Herbert wrote 6 but then his son finished the series after he died? What books are required reading to get the complete story?
Definitely the first three books which form a connected trilogy and finishes the main story that starts with Dune. Afterwards, I couldn't really get into the setting and style of the fourth book, God Emperor of Dune.
accord1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to accord1999 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-30-2021, 01:00 AM   #97
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by D as in David View Post
I re-read the book for the first time in decades before going to see the movie and I was shocked how small Shadeout Mapes' role was in the book. Much less than I remembered so I didn't feel the movie short-changed her in it.
That's fair - I haven't read the actual book in 15-20 years... i did listen to the audiobook recently, and though Mapes wasn't in it a ton I thought there were a few things that could have been clarified

Spoiler!

I'll have to watch it again - I think its a great movie, and they did a good job of covering most of the important stuff. Minor quibbles on my part...

there are rumors that the dinner scene was filmed but cut out, so I am still hoping that there is a 'Villeneuve Cut' that Mamoa hinted about.
The Following User Says Thank You to oldschoolcalgary For This Useful Post:
Old 10-30-2021, 01:18 PM   #98
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

The dinner scene is important. I was hoping for a bit more Thufir Hawat in this one as well and they could flesh out the significance of being a mentat. The scope of Herberts world is vast so it’s understandable that they couldn’t fit everything into one movie
flames_fan_down_under is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to flames_fan_down_under For This Useful Post:
Old 10-30-2021, 02:28 PM   #99
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flames_fan_down_under View Post
The dinner scene is important. I was hoping for a bit more Thufir Hawat in this one as well and they could flesh out the significance of being a mentat. The scope of Herberts world is vast so it’s understandable that they couldn’t fit everything into one movie
Some of this Dune speak doesn't sound like Cinema-only discussion.

Unless said dinner scene was in the original films.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 10-30-2021, 02:37 PM   #100
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
Some of this Dune speak doesn't sound like Cinema-only discussion.

Unless said dinner scene was in the original films.
Yup, book readers just can't help themselves. They just must talk about things they know of in the book that weren't in the movie.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post: