Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-03-2022, 02:48 PM   #121
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Makes sense. Sutter has sounded like he wasn't excited about his options for the last forward spot.

Would be nice to snatch a useful player for free like this.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 02:51 PM   #122
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny_McDonald View Post
Did I say it was a bad move? No. So piss off. But put in context of not moving Lucic, signing Rooney, Lewis, and Ritchie, Having Ruzicka in a waivers situation and probably having to keep him, and having Eakins in camp and performing the best of the 4th liners, this seems like a redundant move. It is a strange move considering the obvious shortcomings.
Not really. He's a player that could play either wing on either of the bottom 2 lines. The Flames have a big problem right now rounding out the bottom 3-4 forward spots so you might as well see if you can strike some degree of success with a player like this.

It's probably more an indictment of the fact Milano has been a bust than anything and you don't want Milano playing a checking role on a good team.
Old 10-03-2022, 02:59 PM   #123
Slap_Shoot_the_Super_Shot
Draft Pick

Came for the ‘ZZ Top’ reference. Left leaving the ‘ZZ Top’ reference.
Slap_Shoot_the_Super_Shot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slap_Shoot_the_Super_Shot For This Useful Post:
Old 10-03-2022, 03:06 PM   #124
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie Walnuts View Post
I think waivers is determined by standing from the previous season, so I think we would be at the bottom.

This pick up is strange, it seems like they are stockpiling on bottom line players. As long as this boots Eakin out of the lineup.

Making the claim makes no sense otherwise
Well, it makes sense if he boots anyone out of the lineup. It obviously implies that they like him over whoever he replaces. But the safe money says it's Eakin.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 03:07 PM   #125
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

From Joe Dirt to Zo Dirt
Toonage is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 03:07 PM   #126
Steve Macfarlane
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

My eyes in Pittsburgh says Zohorna was one of the most improved players in camp. He got stronger and played more physically this year and that the Penguins might regret losing him. He was filling in for Jeff Carter as their third-line centre when he was waived - they wanted the flexibility to send him down and thought they'd sneak him through.

https://calgaryhockeynow.com/calgary...s-nhl-waivers/
Steve Macfarlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 03:09 PM   #127
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wouldn't be surprised if the Flames were one of the teams in on him a couple of seasons ago when he came over to NA. They seem to poach that league fro free agents occasionally (Rittich, Cervenka, Klapka). I feel like I may be missing someone else.
Old 10-03-2022, 04:33 PM   #128
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

need a sign at the next exhibition warm up :
"me zohorn-y"
TrentCrimmIndependent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 04:53 PM   #129
CSharp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentCrimmIndependent View Post
need a sign at the next exhibition warm up :
"me zohorna-y"
Corrected...
CSharp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CSharp For This Useful Post:
Old 10-03-2022, 04:53 PM   #130
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:

Steve Pleau was the scout pushing for this waiver claim.
Canada 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 05:00 PM   #131
Demetric
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Mini Z!
Old 10-03-2022, 05:01 PM   #132
Cleveland Steam Whistle
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I agree with this. I get the team got pushed into a corner by Gaudreau and Tkachuk, but this team really is poorly constructed IMO. I just don't see where players fit, and we keep adding from the bottom up rather than trying to move a player in with some skill and push players top down. I see the pair thing sort of working, but the third player on each of the lines is so uncomplimentary I don't see how they're going to benefit the main pair? This keeps getting weirder and weirder.
How did this team fit better with Gaudreau and Tkachuk? Is it just that we have saw how they did the line up, so it's leaving this less to the imagination?

I actually feel like this team fits better at this point this year than it did last year. Gaudreau and Huberdeau are swaps for top line wingers. I like the certainty of Kadri down the middle on the 2nd line vs. having our 2nd first line winger (Tkachuk) more locked in stone.

This team is lacking a top 6 forward, no doubt, but we were last year as well, but I'm happier we are missing a winger this year vs. a centre last year.

Also, side note - how do I change my name. I've selected a new city in Ohio to call home and would like that reflected in my user name.
Cleveland Steam Whistle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cleveland Steam Whistle For This Useful Post:
Old 10-03-2022, 05:06 PM   #133
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Columbus Steam Whistle doesn't have the same ring to it
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 10-03-2022, 05:21 PM   #134
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Steam Whistle View Post
How did this team fit better with Gaudreau and Tkachuk? Is it just that we have saw how they did the line up, so it's leaving this less to the imagination?

I actually feel like this team fits better at this point this year than it did last year. Gaudreau and Huberdeau are swaps for top line wingers. I like the certainty of Kadri down the middle on the 2nd line vs. having our 2nd first line winger (Tkachuk) more locked in stone.

This team is lacking a top 6 forward, no doubt, but we were last year as well, but I'm happier we are missing a winger this year vs. a centre last year.

Also, side note - how do I change my name. I've selected a new city in Ohio to call home and would like that reflected in my user name.
Knockemstiff Steam Whistle?
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 05:30 PM   #135
VilleN
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I agree with this. I get the team got pushed into a corner by Gaudreau and Tkachuk, but this team really is poorly constructed IMO. I just don't see where players fit, and we keep adding from the bottom up rather than trying to move a player in with some skill and push players top down. I see the pair thing sort of working, but the third player on each of the lines is so uncomplimentary I don't see how they're going to benefit the main pair? This keeps getting weirder and weirder.

Compared to last year I feel like we’re better constructed. Essentially, we’re weaker at RW and stronger down the middle… which I think most would agree is better. Other than that, the construction of the team isn’t a whole lot different.
VilleN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 05:34 PM   #136
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VilleN View Post
Compared to last year I feel like we’re better constructed. Essentially, we’re weaker at RW and stronger down the middle… which I think most would agree is better. Other than that, the construction of the team isn’t a whole lot different.
Also better on D with Weegar (at least on paper)
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 10-03-2022, 05:38 PM   #137
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

I was hoping we'd get someone with more offensive oomph then this but he sounds servicable at least. From all the descriptions I've read he sounds a bit (stylistically) like Joe Colborne...which concerns me vecause Joe Colborne stunk and only briefly looked servicable because Backlund makes his linemates look better then they are. Fortunately in the small sample of NHL games he's had his underlaying numbers look decent (Joe's didn't) and I'd rather see him on the 3rd line (where I assume he's gonna get a look) then Rooney.
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 05:38 PM   #138
cannon7
Needs More Cowbell

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada 02 View Post
Steve Pleau was the scout pushing for this waiver claim.
Not exactly a ringing endorsement. But a stopped clock...

If Zohorna can play his size and bring more physicality he could be a real asset.
cannon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 05:46 PM   #139
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Somebody clearly messed around with Pleau's Wikipedia entry. Threw me off for a second until I double checked hockeydb!
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 05:49 PM   #140
I am Beast
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Fully expect Pittsburgh to claim one of our defense men next week as a thank you....
I am Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to I am Beast For This Useful Post: