Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-03-2022, 12:50 PM   #81
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think some of you need to look at the rosters of other teams...with the cap the way it is nobody has a perfect team. Christ the Oilers are supposedly our biggest competition in the division and were stacking McDrai to narrowly win a preseason game against the Flames missing their top 3 centers.
Old 10-03-2022, 12:51 PM   #82
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Beard View Post
There sure never seems to be a bunch of trades happening a week before the season starts so I'm not sure where they are supposed to pick up a skilled top 6er to push everyone down right now.

Honestly, how does claiming someone hurt the team in any way? No one knows if he clicks with this team yet but what does it hurt?
It wasn't the move he was looking for, therefore it was a bad move.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 10-03-2022, 12:51 PM   #83
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

I was hoping the Flames would claim him but did not expect it at all. Pleasant surprise.

Huge winger with a small dose of offense. Can't hurt to give him a shot.
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KootenayFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 10-03-2022, 12:52 PM   #84
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny_McDonald View Post
I agree with this. I get the team got pushed into a corner by Gaudreau and Tkachuk, but this team really is poorly constructed IMO. I just don't see where players fit, and we keep adding from the bottom up rather than trying to move a player in with some skill and push players top down. I see the pair thing sort of working, but the third player on each of the lines is so uncomplimentary I don't see how they're going to benefit the main pair? This keeps getting weirder and weirder.
keep circling back to huby-kadri-lindy or huby-lindy-kadri becoming a thing not because it's the best strategy on paper but out of necessity when the rotating door on the right side doesn't click . Hopefully it does and TT can elevate with a top line opportunity . I maintain he didn't look bad with them in the edm game at home
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 12:52 PM   #85
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I agree with this. I get the team got pushed into a corner by Gaudreau and Tkachuk, but this team really is poorly constructed IMO. I just don't see where players fit, and we keep adding from the bottom up rather than trying to move a player in with some skill and push players top down. I see the pair thing sort of working, but the third player on each of the lines is so uncomplimentary I don't see how they're going to benefit the main pair? This keeps getting weirder and weirder.
Fwiw I could see something like

Huberdeau - Lindholm - Dube
Mangiapane - Kadri - Toffoli
X - Backlund - Coleman

maybe working out, but Zohorna doesn't strike me as fitting alongside Backlund either. Those two need someone who can really work in transition and the defensive zone. Maybe Zary if Sutter is willing to gamble.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 12:54 PM   #86
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
Ruzy is Slovak
I always forget that too. There have been other Ruzickas in the NHL who had Czech nationality, so I always associate the name with Czechia.
Old 10-03-2022, 12:55 PM   #87
Macho0978
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
I think some of you need to look at the rosters of other teams...with the cap the way it is nobody has a perfect team. Christ the Oilers are supposedly our biggest competition in the division and were stacking McDrai to narrowly win a preseason game against the Flames missing their top 3 centers.
Even Colorado has had huge questions in net year in and year out and they won the cup.

Tampa is probably the only team that can say they are very strong at forward, defense and goaltending over the last 3 years.
Macho0978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 12:57 PM   #88
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'm not sure I agree. If Zoharna can play a tough defensive role like he did in Pittsburgh then I think the slotting starts to make sense.

Huberdeau - Lindholm - Toffoli/Mangiapane: Huberdeau will play with two finishers, both who are defensively responsible.

Dube - Kadri - Toffoli/Mangiapane: Dube and Kadri are both tenacious and quick. Either Toffoli or Mangiapane fit as a third IMO.

Zohorna - Backlund - Coleman: Backlund and Coleman have good success together. Zohorna brings a defensively responsible winger with size that might have more offensive upside (0.5 PPG).

Lucic - Rooney - Lewis/Ritchie: Should be a sheltered, defensively responsible 4th line.

That slotting makes some sense to me. Ideally you'd have another top 6 forward to push down Toffoli or Dube, but in a cap world all teams have a hole like that in either their top 6 forward group, top 4 defense, or in net. Just how it works.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 01:00 PM   #89
gvitaly
Franchise Player

Exp:

Any idea of when will he be getting into town? I assume today, with a practice tomorrow. In which case that will be hard on the player with the elevation, flight and the hassle of figuring out a place to live and all that.

I look forward to what he can bring, but I don't expect much right of the bat at camp.
gvitaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 01:00 PM   #90
Burning Beard
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
That slotting makes some sense to me. Ideally you'd have another top 6 forward to push down Toffoli or Dube, but in a cap world all teams have a hole like that in either their top 6 forward group, top 4 defense, or in net. Just how it works.
And now the Flames hole isn't at centre. For the first time in a long dang time.
Burning Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 01:01 PM   #91
mile
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1577009342330462208
mile is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to mile For This Useful Post:
Old 10-03-2022, 01:09 PM   #92
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'm not sure I agree. If Zoharna can play a tough defensive role like he did in Pittsburgh then I think the slotting starts to make sense.

Huberdeau - Lindholm - Toffoli/Mangiapane: Huberdeau will play with two finishers, both who are defensively responsible.

Dube - Kadri - Toffoli/Mangiapane: Dube and Kadri are both tenacious and quick. Either Toffoli or Mangiapane fit as a third IMO.

Zohorna - Backlund - Coleman: Backlund and Coleman have good success together. Zohorna brings a defensively responsible winger with size that might have more offensive upside (0.5 PPG).

Lucic - Rooney - Lewis/Ritchie: Should be a sheltered, defensively responsible 4th line.

agree. also many teams have holes at more than 1 position . Flames are shored up at D G and C. might be one top 6 wing short but some of that is made up in having three 40 point+ dmen and a better than average d group overall . I think we'll do just fine
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 01:13 PM   #93
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Yeah, if Zohorna were to fit with Backlund (why not?) that slots Rooney back down at the #4 C position, which is ideal.

Then you are really solid at 11 of the 12 spots, with the only weakness being Toffoli playing above his pay grade on the 1st line (which again, I don't think is a big deal)
Old 10-03-2022, 01:17 PM   #94
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
Very little of our ancillary roster actually fits together. We're still jamming Toffoli next to Huberdeau and Lindholm, no one really looks like they fit next to Kadri and Mangiapane, and I'm not sure who fits with Backlund and Coleman.

They're probably gonna throw as many 6'4"+ darts at the wall as they can all year until they need to mortgage more futures for another deadline acquisition
Yes. Prospects for team success this season are very bleak and the situation appears absolutely dire.

Sent from my SM-G986W using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 10-03-2022, 01:21 PM   #95
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Yes. Prospects for team success this season are very bleak and the situation appears absolutely dire.

Sent from my SM-G986W using Tapatalk
I would expect a "textcritic" to be able to contextualize the word "ancillary" in a statement.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 01:22 PM   #96
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

I mean, Mangiapane and Kadri haven't even played together yet, how the hell does he conclude that 'no one really looks like they fit next to (them)'?

And let's maybe give Toffoli more than 2 games to develop some chemistry with Huberdeau and Lindholm.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 10-03-2022, 01:26 PM   #97
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Dunlop View Post
Zohorna - Ruzicka - Klapka

Flames can have their own Legion of Doom.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Czech-mates
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Dunlop View Post
Ruzicka is Slovak. He may take exception!
I guess he might also take exception to 'The Two Towers' or 'Two and a Half Men'.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 01:29 PM   #98
genetic_phreek
First Line Centre

Exp:

Reminds me of a euro Joe Colborne.
genetic_phreek is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to genetic_phreek For This Useful Post:
Old 10-03-2022, 01:31 PM   #99
heep223
Could Care Less

Exp:

The forward group does look a bit awkward on paper, but take a step back. The team has one of the top groups of centers in the league, one of the deepest defenses in the league, one of the best goalies in the league and a more than competent backup goalie.

Being a bit cobbled together on the wings is the best problem to have as a salary capped hockey team.
heep223 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to heep223 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-03-2022, 01:32 PM   #100
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

So looking at the Flames' cap space, with the addition of Zohorna...

23 man roster that includes Zohorna, Ruzicka and Ritchie, and removing Valimaki and replacing with Mackey, leaves us with:

$1,375,000

With Kylington gone, add Stone at $750,000 and we are at $625,000 for now.

If they want to really bank some space, they can waive one of the forwards (Ritchie, Rooney, Ruzicka) and run with a 22 man roster.