Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 08-22-2018, 02:57 PM   #2381
Barca
Scoring Winger

Exp:

how do you post tweets?

anyways, John Shannon squashed this rumour.

"Quick conversation with Canucks' GM Jim Benning, says there is no truth to the Canucks being in the Karlsson trade conversation."

this is classic EF throwing out hockey mad markets like Van/Mtl/Tor in his random speculations to generate views or w.e he's after.
Old 08-22-2018, 03:22 PM   #2382
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnitdown View Post
If Hanifin is actually asking for too much money, maybe you flip him with a 1st rounder next year for Karlsson??
Spending big assets and taking on the huge contract of Karlsson (if we are lucky to extend him ) is not the way for Calgary to extend their window of contention. Karlsson is likely reaching his age where he might start declining. Hanafin is still getting better.

Trying to fast track any rebuild usually ends with a big turd in your stocking.
Old 08-22-2018, 03:27 PM   #2383
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barca View Post
how do you post tweets?

anyways, John Shannon squashed this rumour.

"Quick conversation with Canucks' GM Jim Benning, says there is no truth to the Canucks being in the Karlsson trade conversation."

this is classic EF throwing out hockey mad markets like Van/Mtl/Tor in his random speculations to generate views or w.e he's after.
My guess is the leak came from the Ottawa side.

Probably chatting with Edmonton or another team in the Pacific division and want to make it look like a rival is interested to help drive up the price. Ottawa also pick Vancouver because they have lots of blue chip prospects, and cap space. So suddenly it seems possible.

That gets leaked to E.F. from a trusted source and away you go.

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 08-22-2018 at 03:33 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2018, 04:20 PM   #2384
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psytic View Post
That looks like a pile of crap to me. I hope Ottawa doesn't bite on that. They have to get at least one of Van's blue chippers.
I doubt any team is going to meet the sens expectations. Guy is a ufa who from I've read has a small list if destinations he seriously is considering (tampa).

Any package the sens accepts, will need something that offers decent roster players NOW (no first rounder) as well as future hopefuls.

The Canucks are interesting in that they have anexpendable nhl level player with value that will fill a sens need (tanev), and prospects they can part with at any position.

Tanev
+
One or more combo of: Demko, juolevi, hughes, virtanen, lind, gaudette
+
A high pick

The Canucks could easily do that and not really lose a substantial part of their future core (horvat, boeser, petterson).

Of course, it's all a moot point. Karlsson only having 1 year left on his deal, coming off an off year due to substantial injury/surgery. I just can't see how the Sens get any high quality value on the deal.

I actually think they may try to simply try to create a bidding war up to the trade deadline and hope a gm makes a deadline mistake/overpay. Of course, with their luck he will either get injured or have a poor first few months of the season.
Old 08-22-2018, 04:25 PM   #2385
Macindoc
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbsy View Post
I doubt any team is going to meet the sens expectations. Guy is a ufa who from I've read has a small list if destinations he seriously is considering (tampa).

Any package the sens accepts, will need something that offers decent roster players NOW (no first rounder) as well as future hopefuls.

The Canucks are interesting in that they have anexpendable nhl level player with value that will fill a sens need (tanev), and prospects they can part with at any position.

Tanev
+
+
A high pick

The Canucks could easily do that and not really lose a substantial part of their future core (horvat, boeser, petterson).

Of course, it's all a moot point. Karlsson only having 1 year left on his deal, coming off an off year due to substantial injury/surgery. I just can't see how the Sens get any high quality value on the deal.

I actually think they may try to simply try to create a bidding war up to the trade deadline and hope a gm makes a deadline mistake/overpay. Of course, with their luck he will either get injured or have a poor first few months of the season.
I have yet to be convinced that he will ever be the same player he was before the injury. I certainly hope we don't make a play for him, at least not until it is evident that he has completely returned to his pre-injury self. Of course, if that happens, he will be too expensive.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Macindoc For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2018, 04:26 PM   #2386
mdubz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Tanev
+
+
A high pick

So that's basically

Hamonic
+
One or more of: Gillies, Bennett, Andresson, Manigapane, Jankowski
+
A high pick
Old 08-22-2018, 04:28 PM   #2387
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdubz View Post
So that's basically

Hamonic
+
+
A high pick
Disagree.

Tanev>Hamonic
Demko, Juolevi, Hughes>>>Gillies, Bennett, Andersson
Canucks high pick>>Flames high pick (assuming same round)
Old 08-22-2018, 04:29 PM   #2388
Macindoc
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdubz View Post
So that's basically

Hamonic
+
+
A high pick
For a pending UFA who hasn't shown that he's the same dominant player he was before the injury? No thanks.

Quote:

Tanev
+
+
A high pick

From the Flames' perspective, this would be a great deal. What could be better than a divisional rival giving up future assets for a pending RFA while they are rebuilding?

Last edited by Macindoc; 08-22-2018 at 04:32 PM.
Old 08-22-2018, 04:31 PM   #2389
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

The guy still had the highest point-per-game of any defenseman in the league. And did so on a crappy team.

He doesn't need to be Norris calibre-Karlsson to make Hamonic, a high pick and some trash worth it. Any type of bounce back season and that goes down as the worst trade in Senators history.
Old 08-22-2018, 04:35 PM   #2390
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Karlsson will get a better return than that anyway (mind you Dorion is pretty bad at trades). People here are highly undervaluing him, he's still one of the best players in the league and just turned 28.
Old 08-22-2018, 04:50 PM   #2391
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

The r/calgaryflames poster that has a legit track record of posting Flames inside info just posted that:

Quote:
Flames have called the Leafs about Nylander and the Leafs are listening and seem to be interested
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2018, 04:53 PM   #2392
Macho0978
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacks View Post
Karlsson will get a better return than that anyway (mind you Dorion is pretty bad at trades). People here are highly undervaluing him, he's still one of the best players in the league and just turned 28.
The problem Ottawa has though is who is going to sign or resign in Ottawa next summer? Pretty safe to say with Karlsson gone and more than likely Stone and Duchene and 6 other UFAs they will be looking for NHL bodies back in deals. Which is why players like Bennett and Brodie or Hamonic may bring more value in a trade with them right now.

Brodie
Bennett
Andersson
Gillies
First

For

Karlsson
Condon

Get it done Brad!
The Following User Says Thank You to Macho0978 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2018, 04:53 PM   #2393
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Leafs can't really take back any long term cap, not sure what we would be offering?
They do need defense though, not sure if I like the thought of Anderson?
Old 08-22-2018, 04:54 PM   #2394
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

My favorite player in the league. Hanifin's name wouldn't be included anywhere near this proposal right?
Old 08-22-2018, 04:55 PM   #2395
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

The Flames getting Nylander would be stupid cool, but I can't see it happening.

Old 08-22-2018, 05:04 PM   #2396
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
The r/calgaryflames poster that has a legit track record of posting Flames inside info just posted that:
It would be Hanifin IMO.

Leafs were supposedly very high on him in that draft as well - with Babcock wanting Hanifin but Hunter being deadset on Marner.
Old 08-22-2018, 05:11 PM   #2397
goflamesgo18
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
It would be Hanifin IMO.

Leafs were supposedly very high on him in that draft as well - with Babcock wanting Hanifin but Hunter being deadset on Marner.
Dont think so, Hanifin will make close to 5M per year and they still need to sign Marner, Matthews, Kapenen, and Gardiner next year. They will prob want something around Valimaki. A Dman who may be NHL ready and tons of upside at minimal price.
The Following User Says Thank You to goflamesgo18 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2018, 05:19 PM   #2398
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hanifin for Nylander would be a horrible, horrible trade.

First, it would decimate our defensive core.

Second, it would be giving away a guy whose legitimate ceiling is a #1 D. And Giordano won't be that forever.

Third, the Flames are already small and soft up front.

Last year, the team was imbalanced with too much focus on the D. They have corrected that this summer. This trade would leave them imbalanced with too much focus on small, scoring wingers.

The team would be far worse off.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2018, 05:38 PM   #2399
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

We're getting Saros and Nylander?!?

The parade. Plan it.
Old 08-22-2018, 05:43 PM   #2400
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

No thanks to Nylander for Hanifin. Maybe before James Neal signed as we desperately needed another top 6 forward after the Carolina trade but Neal fills that role with only giving up cap space.

Just spit balling but the Leafs had huge interest in Hamonic when the Flames got him and then there were rumors they still had interest when there were some rumors the Flames were shopping him at the draft.

I just think there is a huge gap between Nylander and Hamonic so there would have to be a significant add on the Flames side and hope that Stone and Andersson are ready to step up.

How about this top 9 though

Gaudreau-Monahan-Nylander
Tkachuk-Backlund-Lindholm
Bennett-Jankowski-Neal
Closed Thread