Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-10-2020, 06:52 PM   #4341
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertGQ View Post
Seinfeld’S 23 hours to kill was hilarious
I love the Seinfeld show, can't stand his stand up.

This was definitely worth watching though
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bubbsy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2020, 07:44 PM   #4342
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

The ninth episode of Ozark season 3 was one of the hardest things I've ever watched. Damn that episode destroyed me.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 08:31 PM   #4343
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
I’ve heard great things about the documentary Secret Love, which has Alberta roots. The producer lived in Fort Saskatchewan, Red Deer and St. Albert. The film is about a lesbian couple who kept their relationship secret for almost 70 decades. One of the women was an aunt of the producer-filmmaker. I heard an interview with him on CHED radio this week. He gave the women chances to back out of the production but they felt their story needed to be told.
Jesus Christ, 700 years?
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2020, 08:34 PM   #4344
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Jesus Christ, 700 years?
Talk about burying the lede
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 08:40 PM   #4345
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
And people say that women dont have any patience.
Haha, 70 years.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 09:13 AM   #4346
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
The Darrell Hammond documentary is both amazing and a very hard watch
I almost missed this. Thanks.

I didn't realize he had gone through so much in his life. You're right that it was difficult to watch. He was always a favourite of mine on the show and it's great to see he's back. Even if it's just as the announcer.

SNL seems to draw in a lot of "broken" comedians and the environment sounds like it can be mentally challenging and can spit you out if you're not able to handle the stress of it. Though many comedians seem to have mental health challenges in general.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 10:25 AM   #4347
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

"The Fanatic" is a fun bad movie to watch. The visionary team of Fred Durst and John Travolta bring us a tale of a mentally disabled mans obsession with celebrity. It really works as a fun bad movie because it isn't intentionally bad, every part of the movie was done with complete sincerity and the hilarity is rooted in the incompetence and terrible ideas from the creative team.When it fails to be hilariously awful it at least manages to be interesting and Travolta is clearly having a lot of fun with his role.

Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 11:35 AM   #4348
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Finally got around to watching Dolemite Is My Name, and it's fantastic. Easily the best work Eddie Murphy has done in the last 2 decades, it was easy to tell this was a passion project for him as he put everything into the role. It was fun seeing all the other big names in smaller roles as well, I had no idea Rudy Raya Moore was so influential
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2020, 11:44 AM   #4349
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
Finally got around to watching Dolemite Is My Name, and it's fantastic. Easily the best work Eddie Murphy has done in the last 2 decades, it was easy to tell this was a passion project for him as he put everything into the role. It was fun seeing all the other big names in smaller roles as well, I had no idea Rudy Raya Moore was so influential
Ugh, I became a dolomite fan ~20 years ago. This movie has been on my watchlist for months, but completely fell off my radar. Thanks for the reminder!!!
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 12:10 PM   #4350
Traditional_Ale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is "Dark Matter" worth it? I'm a huge sci-fi nerd but reading up on this it seems they got cancelled after their third season with every plot point totally unresolved. It seems to have a rabid cult fan-base for a low-budget show made entirely in Toronto with mostly unknown actors. I'm still interested after a few episodes, but if it is going to just meander then drop off I won't bother, especially knowing there is no resolution at the end.

So far, this is the oldest I've been.
Traditional_Ale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 01:06 PM   #4351
Iggy_12
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matata View Post
"The Fanatic" is a fun bad movie to watch. The visionary team of Fred Durst and John Travolta bring us a tale of a mentally disabled mans obsession with celebrity. It really works as a fun bad movie because it isn't intentionally bad, every part of the movie was done with complete sincerity and the hilarity is rooted in the incompetence and terrible ideas from the creative team.When it fails to be hilariously awful it at least manages to be interesting and Travolta is clearly having a lot of fun with his role.

This is up there as one of the worst movies i have ever watched, or i guess tried to watch as it was so bad i couldnt get through it
Iggy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 05:41 PM   #4352
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Watching last dance only reinforces to me that:

Jordan is/was a dick.

Pippen was the real glue of that team.
White Out 403 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 05:55 PM   #4353
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traditional_Ale View Post
Is "Dark Matter" worth it? I'm a huge sci-fi nerd but reading up on this it seems they got cancelled after their third season with every plot point totally unresolved. It seems to have a rabid cult fan-base for a low-budget show made entirely in Toronto with mostly unknown actors. I'm still interested after a few episodes, but if it is going to just meander then drop off I won't bother, especially knowing there is no resolution at the end.
I enjoyed it. I actually thought it had pretty strong writing, and I liked the characters. It was a minor bummer with how it got canceled, but it doesn't really take away from it. I think it almost felt complete, even if it wasn't. So I'd say it is still worth it if you crave space sci fi.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2020, 06:15 PM   #4354
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy_12 View Post
This is up there as one of the worst movies i have ever watched, or i guess tried to watch as it was so bad i couldnt get through it
Your loss, the biggest laughs are at the end.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 06:15 PM   #4355
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Out 403 View Post
Watching last dance only reinforces to me that:

Jordan is/was a dick.

Pippen was the real glue of that team.
Not sure how you get that impression from the doc. It’s edited in such a pro Jordan way.
Weitz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2020, 06:49 PM   #4356
Traditional_Ale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I enjoyed it. I actually thought it had pretty strong writing, and I liked the characters. It was a minor bummer with how it got canceled, but it doesn't really take away from it. I think it almost felt complete, even if it wasn't. So I'd say it is still worth it if you crave space sci fi.

Sweet. It seems to have a lot of heart.

So far, this is the oldest I've been.
Traditional_Ale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 07:13 PM   #4357
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's edited in the pro Jordan way, but he still shines through where he just can't help himself. One of the biggest storylines is about how the GM was not bending over to him and the players, instead going for a full team movement. The only thing is, the guys is dead and can't defend his "actions". Jordan has always been about himself. Now, his beef with Isaiah Thomas is interesting because they're two cats cut from the same cloth. I haven't watched the two that were released yesterday yet.

One thing I'm seeing in these "documentaries" is the overuse of slow-mos. It's not actually that great of a doc. I still think a lot of the ESPN ones were better. But it fills a need right now, and it's built on the same premise of touching music at the right time, with the slow-mo to make the player look graceful in the most pressure filled moment. When you get past that, the story telling and the back and forth between 92 and 98, it's pretty meh now.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 08:32 PM   #4358
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleury View Post
It's edited in the pro Jordan way, but he still shines through where he just can't help himself. One of the biggest storylines is about how the GM was not bending over to him and the players, instead going for a full team movement. The only thing is, the guys is dead and can't defend his "actions". Jordan has always been about himself. Now, his beef with Isaiah Thomas is interesting because they're two cats cut from the same cloth. I haven't watched the two that were released yesterday yet.

One thing I'm seeing in these "documentaries" is the overuse of slow-mos. It's not actually that great of a doc. I still think a lot of the ESPN ones were better. But it fills a need right now, and it's built on the same premise of touching music at the right time, with the slow-mo to make the player look graceful in the most pressure filled moment. When you get past that, the story telling and the back and forth between 92 and 98, it's pretty meh now.
It would be much better if Jordan didn’t have final say on what makes it.
Weitz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2020, 09:36 AM   #4359
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Party Elephant View Post
I'm loving Sunderland till I Die right now. Love that it's a sports documentary that's as focused on the fans as it is on the players and club. Sure makes me miss sport.
Agreed. I have enjoyed both seasons. As a Norwich City supporter, there are quite a few parallels. The club is too small to be big, too big to be small. Norwich also fell down to League One a few years back before climbing back out. Supporters are proud to have English owners, yet frustrated that other clubs can spend without limits with foreign ownership. Norwich and Sunderland also have a nice little "friendship" stemming from the 1985 League Cup final.

If you like behind-the-scenes sports docs, I would definitely recommend it. Especially with everything on hold at the moment.

Another good one, although from a completely different perspective, is First Team Juventus. It is subtitled, but I like listening to Italian. It was interesting to see the transition from the legend of Buffon to Szczesny.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 10:26 AM   #4360
brocoli
Scoring Winger

Exp:

On the same note, it's interesting to watch "Matchday - Inside FC Barcalona". It's crazy to see even the subtle differences in locker rooms between one of the most powerful clubs in the world and a smaller club like Sunderland.
brocoli is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to brocoli For This Useful Post: