Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-02-2019, 11:29 AM   #261
Husky
First Line Centre

Exp:

One concern I have is Brodie knowing he was close to ne traded - he might have some bitter feelings. Human nature.
Husky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 11:30 AM   #262
flamesgod
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Husky View Post
One concern I have is Brodie knowing he was close to ne traded - he might have some bitter feelings. Human nature.
My guess is, he’s still going to get traded.
flamesgod is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to flamesgod For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2019, 11:31 AM   #263
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

They are obviously actively shopping him and lots of teams would love to have him, Brodie will be moved. I just hope the return is as good.
Old 07-02-2019, 11:31 AM   #264
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Husky View Post
Its the point of no return. If he isn't moved before the season his name will be dragged through the rumour mill until he is moved. If he is anything like Duchene, it will really hurt his game. That said, Sakic waiting for the best return on Duchene really set up the Avs nicely. Its a cut throat league.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 11:33 AM   #265
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesgod View Post
My guess is, he’s still going to get traded.
I dont see how they cant at this point...that space is needed and replacement players are already in the system vs other positions..unless Stone gets moved but i truly think BT sees him as someone this club needs for his sandpaper abilities.
Old 07-02-2019, 11:33 AM   #266
flamesgod
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Maybe something around Kreider for Brodie? Then try move Neal for Turris?

Gaudreau Monahan Lindholm
Kreider Turris Tkachuk
Old 07-02-2019, 11:34 AM   #267
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I maybe in the minority, but I think Flames dodged a bullet here. Guy is a arrogant loony tune, and a liability far too often. Even back to his antics on the Team Canada Jr squad.

I trust BT knows far better than I do, but I do know from talking to players how important team chemistry is. Even if he didn't have a NTC list and got sent here, dude just seems unstable. Mix that into a room and suddenly you have 2010 all over again.

Is it worth that risk. I don't think so.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 11:35 AM   #268
Press Level
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
I don't think that the size of the market has anything to do with it. In the USA you can make a mistake in a game and life goes on. In a Canadian market you get #### all over by the fans and media, even if you played a good game. In one place you might get peace of mind, in another, if you don't meet expectations ( even if they are unrealistic), you are reminded on every available platform.

The role that lower US taxes play in these decisions cannot be understated. If money is your top (or near your top) priority, you will never want to play in a higher taxed Canadian market.

Also, many players (or their significant others) have no desire to endure Canadian winters when they could instead be in California, Florida, Arizona, Carolina, etc, etc.
Press Level is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 11:36 AM   #269
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Maybe something around Kreider for Brodie? Then try move Neal for Turris?

Gaudreau Monahan Lindholm
Kreider Turris Tkachuk
Calgary needs to move Brodie to save cap space, that wouldn't work.

I doubt that Kreider is available for Brodie, but who really knows.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 11:40 AM   #270
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post

I doubt Kreider is available at all. He is a leader on that club and certainly is a very good player besides that. He is also going to get a substantial raise after this season.
Old 07-02-2019, 11:42 AM   #271
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
I don't think that the size of the market has anything to do with it. In the USA you can make a mistake in a game and life goes on. In a Canadian market you get #### all over by the fans and media, even if you played a good game. In one place you might get peace of mind, in another, if you don't meet expectations ( even if they are unrealistic), you are reminded on every available platform.
I’m not sure I understand. What do you think they meant by “market size”? So in the States is it easier because they don’t mind when athletes make mistakes (HA!), or that there are less hockey fans? So hockey players have an easier ride than athletes in other sports? I think it’s the latter....... because it’s a smaller hockey market.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 11:42 AM   #272
flamesgod
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post

Pretty sure they were hammering out a deal with Toronto that was basically a wash in terms of cap.
Old 07-02-2019, 11:43 AM   #273
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Press Level View Post
The role that lower US taxes play in these decisions cannot be understated. If money is your top (or near your top) priority, you will never want to play in a higher taxed Canadian market.

Also, many players (or their significant others) have no desire to endure Canadian winters when they could instead be in California, Florida, Arizona, Carolina, etc, etc.

It's not as big of an issue as some make it out to be

Quote:
All non-residents must pay Canadian tax on any income earned in Canada at the applicable tax rate.

For professional athletes who play on teams who have games in both Canada and the U.S. (this would include most major league sports), this means they pay Canadian taxes only on income earned during games played in Canada.
https://www.feigenbaumlaw.com/sports...tes-in-canada/

Quote:
Sports agents have long bemoaned the tax rates that high-salaried Canadian-based athletes face. For example, Ontario’s top individual tax rate is 53.3 per cent, the highest among all NHL locales.

But wealthy people have tools that can tamp down the effects of those tax rates.

Financial advisers recommend their high-income clients, such as professional athletes, use a vehicle called a Retirement Compensation Arrangement (RCA) to help offset high income taxes. In basic terms, an RCA allows an individual to sock away up to half of their salary each year and delay accessing it until retirement, when the individual may well be living somewhere else and paying a far lower tax rate.
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/inve...high-canadian/
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2019, 11:46 AM   #274
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
I’m not sure I understand. What do you think they meant by “market size”? So in the States is it easier because they don’t mind when athletes make mistakes (HA!), or that there are less hockey fans? So hockey players have an easier ride than athletes in other sports? I think it’s the latter....... because it’s a smaller hockey market.
I agree, I found OPs use of market size problematic. I think that the Canadian markets are the biggest in terms of fan intensity. There US markets that are similar. But playing in Nashville, or San Jose you are a lot less famous, and receive a little less scrutiny. It makes everything better.
Old 07-02-2019, 11:47 AM   #275
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
A lot of the wear and tear of the season just allows players to maintain their bodies throughout the season. It's why so many players put so much emphasis on shorter breaks in the summer now. Improvements are done in the summer, maintenance is done in the season.

If Neal spent the summer healing, it's unlikely that once the grind begins he'll have time to focus on strength training to ensure his first few strides are fast etc. If you watch some of the training Frolik did last summer in preparation for the season, and then imagine Neal not doing any of that, you can see why there was an issue.
A summer lacking strength training definitely would impact a players October skating performance but when you’re in a constant cycle of preparing for and recovering from games your stamina and cardio fitness should be at a high level in April.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 11:54 AM   #276
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Small market meaning Canadian market that isn’t Toronto, Montreal, or Vancouver. Those teams don’t seem to suffer the same desirability issues that Calgary, Ottawa, Edmonton, and Winnipeg do.
mrdonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 12:02 PM   #277
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
It means we're a podunk town and it's not like we have a history of success to draw people here.

And no "mountains are close and X days of sunshine" doesn't matter. These are young multi, multi millionaires. Calgary is boring as #### AND you're recognized while eating/shopping/driving constantly.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 12:09 PM   #278
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdonkey View Post
Small market meaning Canadian market that isn’t Toronto, Montreal, or Vancouver. Those teams don’t seem to suffer the same desirability issues that Calgary, Ottawa, Edmonton, and Winnipeg do.
Sports organisations aside, the NHL cities desirability to live in for young millionaires is probably ranked like this:

Montreal, Vancouver, Toronto, Calgary, Ottawa, Winnipeg and Edmonton. For people with no attachments to any of these cities, its easy to understand why some are more desirable then others.
Old 07-02-2019, 12:18 PM   #279
Mayo
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Good chance this was posted...but it should be re-posted anyways...

edit..couldn't get the gif version to work..

Last edited by Mayo; 07-02-2019 at 12:21 PM.
Mayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 12:19 PM   #280
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Pretty sure they were hammering out a deal with Toronto that was basically a wash in terms of cap.
We have no idea what players were involved.

Toronto actually (potentially) saved cap space, as Barrie was half price, and Kerfoot could be traded for picks if need be.

All we really know is that Kadri was asked to waive and he said no. Whether any deal was actually close to being agreed upon is really just speculation.

But it's possible that Brodie could be moved in a cap neutral deal, and savings could be looked elsewhere.

But that is dangerous, as Brodie could be moved for picks. The rest (Frolik, and especially Stone and Neal) not so obvious.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote