Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-01-2014, 11:36 AM   #21
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

i can see a bit of blaming the victim here.

I don't have any nude photos of myself, anywhere, period.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 11:40 AM   #22
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbsy View Post
umm, we live in a world that isn't fair and not everyone is good and pure hearted. If so, then sure, live accordingly.

Online hacking and fraud are becoming common day crimes in this day and age. Putting data that is this sensitive online is just stupid... Do i feel bad for them, sure sort of, but be smart.

Blaming victims, no. however being responsibly cautious of the world around you is a skill i sure as hell hope to teach my kid, and would assume others do as well.
My response was more to your first sentence than the second. Yes, the average non-nerd needs to be more cognizant of internet security, especially if they're pretty and famous, but to say don't take pictures is pretty ridiculous.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 11:47 AM   #23
flame^thrower
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I have never used the cloud but don't like the idea of my stuff anywhere but on my device. I have an external drive so that's where it goes.

Also .. Massive load .. Back door ... HAAAhaaaa (Nelson voice)
flame^thrower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 12:01 PM   #24
Chill Cosby
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
We would expect they purchased insurance on the item to cover their losses and then say it sucks it happened. If they didnt have insurance we woud say they were Pretty stupid

I call BS on that, this isn't about insurance. This is about someone storing their photos in a medium that claims to be secure. Do most computer savvy people know otherwise? Sure. Does that mean everyone should implicitly understand the cloud? A technology that is fairly new to the general public? Absolutely not.

These people did nothing wrong, yet had their privacy invaded and their personal pictures spread across the Internet. Are they guilty of not taking due care to protect those pictures? Perhaps, but if that's what you focus on, and not the disgusting breach of privacy, then you're backwards.

There is no victim-blaming to be had here. These people had their privacy invaded, illegally, and should not be blamed simply because they aren't as computer-literate as you are. This stuff was on their personal computer, and whether it was cloud accessible is irrelevant considering that unless you KNOW to turn it off, cloud is always on for things like photos. Cloud is supposed to be "yours", and just because it was easier to break into doesn't mean that stuff was just sitting there for everyone to see.

It's a commentary on society in general, I think. When something like this happens, you've got people showing fake empathy with "Well I'm sorry that happened but it was probably their fault" and others delighted to get a first look at a real boob, when the only logical reaction is "That's terrible."

Everything else just encourages the scumbags who dig in to get this junk. Pretty easy to justify invading someone's privacy when you've got people saying "Well it was bound to happen!" and other idiots singing your praises.
Chill Cosby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Chill Cosby For This Useful Post:
Old 09-01-2014, 12:02 PM   #25
Hockey_Ninja

Exp:

Please change the thread title. Every time this thread has popped up on the main forum i giggle like a little girl.
Old 09-01-2014, 12:06 PM   #26
-TC-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by To Be Quite Honest View Post
I keep all personal pictures/videos/documents off cloud storage for this very reason. If you upload it there is a chance that anyone or everyone will be able to see it.

ditto...work stuff goes to the cloud for easy access...personal stuff, no way.

-TC- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 12:22 PM   #27
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

These are not leaked photos, they are stolen photos.
Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Burninator For This Useful Post:
Old 09-01-2014, 12:43 PM   #28
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

I cannot fathom a solitary reason anyone would have any use for my photos
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 12:55 PM   #29
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just can't believe that the premise from that awful Jason Segal/Cameron Diaz movie is actually playing out before our eyes in reality.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 01:04 PM   #30
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

This event does nothing to diminish my opinion that Jennifer Lawrence is ridiculously attractive.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 09-01-2014, 01:06 PM   #31
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

I do kind of feel bad for them.

These are people that could easily have earned a lot of money for nude pictures and generally, be it on principle or otherwise, objected and didnt.

And now their photos are out there for everyone against their will. Thats really unfortunate.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 01:40 PM   #32
Regular_John
First Line Centre

Exp:

There's really two things at play here, on the one side of it you really, really shouldn't share anything online that you don't want public.

My Dad has worked for the phone company for over 30 years and I remember him saying "Don't say anything on the telephone you wouldn't yell out your own front door". This is even more true of the internet.

However, the line between online/offline storage has never been fuzzier, and we've never had more apps/devices asking for our "permission" to share our data. It almost feels like developers are in the habit of changing their terms of service and asking permission so many times that eventually you'll fall into a 'gotcha' situation where you grant permission without actually intending to do.

Heck for the longest time I had no idea why my browser tabs were syncing between my phone and my tablet. I'd be reading threads on this very site during my commute, and then find the same threads open/viewable on my iPad. And like Russic I'm a "tech guy" who understands the basic premise of cloud based storage.

So I have a hard time blaming these woman for inadvertently sharing their photos or not realizing just how accessible "the cloud" really is. I often wonder what "the cloud" actually means to the average consumer/user.
Regular_John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 01:43 PM   #33
trackercowe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Still no Jessica Alba though... she's just not willing to get naked for any reason is she?
trackercowe is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to trackercowe For This Useful Post:
Old 09-01-2014, 02:11 PM   #34
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post

How do you sext properly without nude photos?
Old 09-01-2014, 02:16 PM   #35
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
How do you sext properly without nude photos?
I cant even text normally.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GirlySports For This Useful Post:
V
Old 09-01-2014, 03:22 PM   #36
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post
I just can't believe that the premise from that awful Jason Segal/Cameron Diaz movie is actually playing out before our eyes in reality.
publicity stunt for the sequel?
Alberta_Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 03:39 PM   #37
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

The event is now known as ''The Fappening''
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 03:48 PM   #38
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post

You're right, she was asking for it.
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 03:56 PM   #39
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chill Cosby View Post
I call BS on that, this isn't about insurance. This is about someone storing their photos in a medium that claims to be secure. Do most computer savvy people know otherwise? Sure. Does that mean everyone should implicitly understand the cloud? A technology that is fairly new to the general public? Absolutely not.

These people did nothing wrong, yet had their privacy invaded and their personal pictures spread across the Internet. Are they guilty of not taking due care to protect those pictures? Perhaps, but if that's what you focus on, and not the disgusting breach of privacy, then you're backwards.

There is no victim-blaming to be had here. These people had their privacy invaded, illegally, and should not be blamed simply because they aren't as computer-literate as you are. This stuff was on their personal computer, and whether it was cloud accessible is irrelevant considering that unless you KNOW to turn it off, cloud is always on for things like photos. Cloud is supposed to be "yours", and just because it was easier to break into doesn't mean that stuff was just sitting there for everyone to see.

It's a commentary on society in general, I think. When something like this happens, you've got people showing fake empathy with "Well I'm sorry that happened but it was probably their fault" and others delighted to get a first look at a real boob, when the only logical reaction is "That's terrible."

Everything else just encourages the scumbags who dig in to get this junk. Pretty easy to justify invading someone's privacy when you've got people saying "Well it was bound to happen!" and other idiots singing your praises.

I go back to the what would I tell my daughter to do question. The answer is if you take a naked picture of yourself and send it to anyone it will get out. So consider the consequences before you do it.

You are right that this kind of thing shouldnt happen but it does so the onus is on the individual to protect themselves given this isnt the first or the last time these types of photos will be stolen. Even without the cloud aspect, the phone or computer its on physically could be stolen. So it isnt a question of technical knowledge just a question of time to when the pictures will get out.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 04:08 PM   #40
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

The hackers need to dig around for some Genie Bouchard images.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote