Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-01-2014, 01:18 AM   #1
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:
Default Massive load of celeb pictures leaked

So I'm not going to link anything, but it's not hard to find. Apparently someone found a backdoor into several cloud sharing services and posted a big dump of pictures to 4chan, including Kate Upton, Jennifer Lawrence, Kaley Cuoco, and a few others. Many of the pictures are full nudes, and some are much more than that. reddit is pretty much going nuts at the moment, so I imagine by tomorrow this will hit the major news outlets and explode

Of course you get the odd leaked celebrity pic or sextape, but I've never seen anything like this where it's so many well known people and such a large collection. Should be interesting to see what their PR teams do
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 09-01-2014, 01:30 AM   #2
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hah, massive load.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 01:35 AM   #3
kirant
Franchise Player

Exp:

Honest question - even if this is a backdoor thing for cloud sharing, who thought it would be a good idea to have what I assume is NSFW images of celebrities floating around? Given 4chan's habit of breaking things just for the sake of breaking it, I would think it's only a matter of time until such stuff is found.

Edit - I'll just clarify that this is a jab at the cloud sharing software combined with 4chan's sometimes concerning chaotic tendencies. The celebrities, in this sense, did nothing wrong beyond not fully knowing their technology (something that is quite understandable). The sharing platform is fairly concerning as it centralizes this information and makes it an easy target for these sorts of events. Add in celebrities, naked sexy fun time, and some guys who do stuff (good and, in this case, terrifying) for reasons not much beyond "just because" and guess what is likely to happen.

Last edited by kirant; 09-01-2014 at 11:34 PM.
kirant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 01:49 AM   #4
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirant View Post
Honest question - even if this is a backdoor thing for cloud sharing, who thought it would be a good idea to have what I assume is NSFW images of celebrities floating around? Given 4chan's habit of breaking things just for the sake of breaking it, I would think it's only a matter of time until such stuff is found.
Ya I'm sure we'll hear a lot about what a violation of privacy this is and all that, but if you take full frontal nude pictures of yourself then upload them to an online file storage, I don't have a lot of sympathy. Apparently most of the stuff came from iCloud, I wonder what kind of backlash Apple is going to get over this

Oh and the reddit anti-masturbation group /r/NoFap is having a rough day by the looks of it

Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 02:10 AM   #5
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
if you take full frontal nude pictures of yourself then upload them to an online file storage, I don't have a lot of sympathy.
How many people have any clue what their settings are on iCloud/photostream? I know a few people who have photos they'd never want out in the open that have no idea if their phone is set to use their cloud storage or not.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 04:42 AM   #6
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunkstyle View Post
How many people have any clue what their settings are on iCloud/photostream? I know a few people who have photos they'd never want out in the open that have no idea if their phone is set to use their cloud storage or not.
If you are taking full nudes...that's the sort of thing that you should know about first...
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 04:48 AM   #7
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTiger View Post
that's the sort of thing that you should know about first...
Operative word is "should"
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 06:58 AM   #8
Hockey_Ninja

Exp:

I'm honestly not shocked something like this happened. It was only a matter of time.
Old 09-01-2014, 10:36 AM   #9
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 09-01-2014, 10:53 AM   #10
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Feel bad for them, but I think any time you take a sexualized photo of yourself, eventually people you didn't want to see it will see it.

That said, that's not justification for people posting them everywhere.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver

Last edited by Blaster86; 09-01-2014 at 02:22 PM.
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Blaster86 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-01-2014, 10:56 AM   #11
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I don't know who most of these celebrities are.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 09-01-2014, 10:58 AM   #12
Swarly
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

It's a Labour Day Miracle!
Swarly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Swarly For This Useful Post:
Old 09-01-2014, 11:06 AM   #13
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

if you don't want them leaked don't take them. If you're going to take them, don't put them on any public drives would be an obvious decision, let alone on your home computer.
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 11:25 AM   #14
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

I do feel sorry for them. For nerds like us things like 2 step verification and complex, non repeated passwords are just standard security. Hell, I have a unique password for every single login and I assure you I'm one of the most boring people you'll ever run into.

For someone who doesn't have an interest in technology or the internet, I can see how these little basics can be neglected totally. Sucks.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Russic For This Useful Post:
Old 09-01-2014, 11:25 AM   #15
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbsy View Post
if you don't want them leaked don't take them. If you're going to take them, don't put them on any public drives would be an obvious decision, let alone on your home computer.
Gotta love victim blaming.

Don't want to be killed by a drunk driver? Stay off the streets.

Don't want to get robbed? Stop carrying money.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 09-01-2014, 11:27 AM   #16
Chill Cosby
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbsy View Post

I think people should do whatever legal activity they want to do in the privacy of their own home, without threat of someone breaking the law to acquire their personal items.

If they had left their car in the garage and someone had broken in and stolen it, would you say "well you should be smart enough not to have a nice car, and certainly not to store it in the garage"?

It's an invasion of personal privacy, and I doubt very much the creeps that are now seeking out these pictures would be all that pleased if someone hacked into their webcam and recorded them sloppily masturbating to this stuff only to post it on the Internet as a public shaming.

Personally, anyone who clicks on any link suggesting to show any of these people naked are a bit scummy. Less of a scumbag than the person who stole these photos, but in the same vein.
Chill Cosby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chill Cosby For This Useful Post:
Old 09-01-2014, 11:32 AM   #17
To Be Quite Honest
Franchise Player

Exp:

I keep all personal pictures/videos/documents off cloud storage for this very reason. If you upload it there is a chance that anyone or everyone will be able to see it.
To Be Quite Honest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 11:32 AM   #18
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post

This isnt a rape case where people are saying they were asking for it. Victim blaming in this case is appropriate. If someone doest wear a helmet or a seat belt and dies in an accident that wasnt their fault people will say they should have been wearing a helmet. At some point you have to realilize the world isnt perfect and protect yourself.

Online security is a good place to start protecting yourself. If you know that you have something valuable that you dont want exposed dont keep it online.

I think the more important thing here is that no one's reputation should be hurt and no one should be slut shamed (for the lack of a better term) for doing what they want to do.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 11:35 AM   #19
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chill Cosby View Post
I think people should do whatever legal activity they want to do in the privacy of their own home, without threat of someone breaking the law to acquire their personal items.

If they had left their car in the garage and someone had broken in and stolen it, would you say "well you should be smart enough not to have a nice car, and certainly not to store it in the garage"?
We would expect they purchased insurance on the item to cover their losses and then say it sucks it happened. If they didnt have insurance we woud say they were Pretty stupid
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 11:35 AM   #20
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post

umm, we live in a world that isn't fair and not everyone is good and pure hearted. If so, then sure, live accordingly.

Online hacking and fraud are becoming common day crimes in this day and age. Putting data that is this sensitive online is just stupid... Do i feel bad for them, sure sort of, but be smart.

Blaming victims, no. however being responsibly cautious of the world around you is a skill i sure as hell hope to teach my kid, and would assume others do as well.
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote