Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-05-2011, 01:21 AM   #1
VANFLAMESFAN
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default The Killing-New AMC Show

Just finished watching the two hour premiere of the Killing and thought if there werr any other people who watched it, discussion about it could be fun.

Given AMC's track record for quality (Breaking BAd, Mad Men, Walking Dead and Rubicon are all top notch shows IMO), I had to give it a go. I'm not usually a murder mystery guy, I find most cliche and but this one COULD be different.

I liked the premiere, definitely had me intrigued the whole time and this show has some promise. It looks like a show that will keep you guessing every damn episode and may get frustrating because it's gonna take 13 episodes to solve.

For those who don't know the show I am talking about. Here's the trailer:

Anyone else watch the premiere?? What did you think??
VANFLAMESFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 02:20 AM   #2
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

I liked it. It started out a little slow, but picked up a lot faster than Rubicon did (did Rubicon ever really "pick up"?).

I thought it felt a lot like Twin Peaks if it had been done by a normal person and not David Lynch.

The Pacific Northwest region is perfectly suited to a murder mystery, although, I was taken out of it briefly because the Councilman's office is in the Vancouver Convention Centre (I've never been there, but they showed it enough during the Olympics).

Solid acting, although, the female cop was a little wooden. I wasn't sure if that was the actress or her character.

The parents of the murdered girl were pretty much the only actors I recognized from other shows, and I think this is the first thing since Deadwood I've seen the father in where he wasn't playing a cop (and even there, he was running for Sheriff), and I don't think I've ever seen Michelle Forbes play a character who wasn't a totally in control bad-ass. This should be a good role for her.

No spoilers because this is based on nothing at all...

Here's my completely off-the-wall guess right now for what happened: She was running away from the person who raped her and climbed into the trunk of the car to hide, then someone from the councilman's campaign was trying to cover up something completely unrelated by disposing of the car in the lake. Wrong place-wrong time for the girl, but still two crimes for the cops to piece together: The rape and whatever shady stuff the councilman's campaign people were up to.
Old 04-05-2011, 08:51 AM   #3
Timbo
First Line Centre

Exp:

Looks like a good ole fashioned "Who Done It". Acting was very good yet I agree with getbak's assessment of the Female Detective.

HD quality is lacking IMO but that might be more for mood.

This show based on the pilot gets the PVR treatment.
Timbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 08:56 AM   #4
HPLovecraft
Took an arrow to the knee

Exp:

I like the way the lead female cop doesn't look like a super model that got lost on her way to a beautiful people only party but ended up in the middle of crime scene, instead. Much better for my suspension of disbelief.
Old 04-05-2011, 09:27 AM   #5
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
I thought it felt a lot like Twin Peaks if it had been done by a normal person and not David Lynch.
LOL! I said that exact thing (word for word) to Mrs. Parallex after watching it.

I liked it a lot... when did AMC move from showing Back to the Future and John Wayne spaggehti westerns 18000 times a year to producing the best shows on TV (Outside of HBO?)?
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 10:28 AM   #6
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wasn't hooked after the first 45 minutes, but the last 15 minutes of the pilot and the entire second episode were excellent.
malcolmk14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 10:38 AM   #7
underGRADFlame
Lives In Fear Of Labelling

Exp:

The wife and I really enjoyed it too. I hope they can keep it up for the whole season. AMC is awesome, Breaking Bad, Walking Dead, Mad Men now the Killing. Awesome awesome awesome!

On a side note AMC will be running Breaking Bad from the beginning Wednesday nights 2 episodes per week. My PVR is set for it.
underGRADFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 11:46 AM   #8
bosox_fan05
Farm Team Player

Exp:

I thought it was really good. The actors who played the parents of the girl did a great job I thought. The main character was also really good. She was a bit stoic, but I thought it played off of her excitable sidekick well. The sidekick was really annoying at first, but it seems like he's going to be a good character.

I'm looking forward to the next episode. I just hope the killer isn't the politician.
bosox_fan05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 11:54 AM   #9
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

I liked it a lot. I don't watch a lot of crime dramas but so far this one is pretty good.

I thought the female cop looked a little like an older, no-make-up Hillary Duff.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 02:14 PM   #10
VANFLAMESFAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parallex View Post
I liked it a lot... when did AMC move from showing Back to the Future and John Wayne spaggehti westerns 18000 times a year to producing the best shows on TV (Outside of HBO?)?
AMC: Mad Men, Breaking Bad, Walking Dead, The Killing

HBO: True Blood, Curb, Entourage, Boardwalk Empire, Big Love, Hung, Treme

In terms of quality, i'll take AMC in a heartbeat.

When HBO had Sopranos, Wire, Six Feet Under, Curb, Sex and the City, Deadwood, Rome.........they just couldn't be touched. Not anymore.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VANFLAMESFAN For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2011, 02:17 PM   #11
VANFLAMESFAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh, and after the pilot of the Killing. I'm calling it right now, the teacher is involved in a shady way and might be the killer.
Old 04-05-2011, 03:09 PM   #12
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANFLAMESFAN View Post
HBO: True Blood
Any show that frequently has a naked Anna Paquin is a-ok in my book.

Quote:
When HBO had Sopranos, Wire, Six Feet Under, Curb, Sex and the City, Deadwood, Rome.........they just couldn't be touched. Not anymore.
Yeah, I was giving them some retroactive credit for all those shows (except Sex in the City... but then I'm not the target demographic for that show). I personally think The Wire is one of if not the best TV show ever made.
Old 04-05-2011, 03:15 PM   #13
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Oh, and after the pilot of the Killing. I'm calling it right now, the teacher is involved in a shady way and might be the killer.
Shady way fo' so, prolly hittin' that... I don't think he's the killer though. I'm thinking the female campaign manager.
Old 04-05-2011, 03:21 PM   #14
HotHotHeat
Franchise Player

Exp:

The teacher is the only obvious connection at this point, and it seems like the sort of show that would introduce the killer at the beginning.

I struggled a bit to get through the premier, watched it over about 3 nights to be honest, but it will be a good show.

No hot girls in the show though.
HotHotHeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 03:23 PM   #15
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Started off a little slow, but I'll give it another week. The gf seems to like it though, I could've used a little more stuff happening.

The non-stop constant rain was also a little annoying.
Table 5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 03:34 PM   #16
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotHotHeat View Post
The teacher is the only obvious connection at this point
One theory I have is that Mother finds out daughter isn't where she said she'd be, discovers daughter diddling teacher in the basement, freaks out and accidentially kills daughter... only problem is that there is no connection to the campaign car.
Old 04-05-2011, 03:38 PM   #17
wildflames
Farm Team Player

Exp:

I think it's pretty awesome that a show this well made and well acted is shot in Vancouver. Not very often does this city get really good projects like this.

The show gave off a 'Silence of the Lambs' vibe to me which I totally loved. The characters are all very real, none of that superficial junk you see nowadays on most television shows. Excited to see more!
wildflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 03:41 PM   #18
Crazy Bacon Legs
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I'll have to see when they're rebroadcasting the pilot. I assume they will; they tend to rebroadcast the original series multiple times, right?

Did this just air last night?
Old 04-05-2011, 03:44 PM   #19
VANFLAMESFAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

There's a replay of it on Thursday night at 6pm Pacific time.

It also replay Sunday at 5pm PST before the new episode airs at 7.
The Following User Says Thank You to VANFLAMESFAN For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2011, 04:27 PM   #20
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
The non-stop constant rain was also a little annoying.
Well, it is shot in Vancouver.

The show is based on a Danish show that aired in 2007. From people who've seen the original, the first episode was pretty much a shot-for-shot remake of the first 2 episodes of the Danish show.