Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-2014, 09:54 PM   #61
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thought I would give this a bump.

I am coming up to Calgary in a couple weeks and will be staying in the Motel Village area. There is no good Chinese food in my town and I have really been wanting some good Chinese food lately. So I was wondering about some delivery options that might be good. I will just assume that I prefer westernized Chinese.
Alberta_Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 10:01 PM   #62
Drury18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hawkwood Palace. http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/15/19070...Palace-Calgary

I've been ordering from there for 10+ years and have yet to have a bad meal. Strongly recommend the Won Ton Soup. Won Tons are delicious and seasoned, veggies in the soup are still partly crunchy and have not been cooked to a soggy mess. The ginger beef is also delicious. Crunchy and well breaded beef, sauce is appropriately spicy.

They have also been great about allergy accommodations. Have an sensitivity to MSG so I have requested without and every time they have it written on my order no MSG and I've never had a problem.
Drury18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Drury18 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2014, 10:14 PM   #63
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Haven't checked the rest of the thread, so replying to the bump. Shanghai Palace in Edgemont, about the same distance as the one in Hawkwood from your location. I've eaten in a lot of Chinese restaurants, and my two qualifications are the taste of the food, and the freshness of the food. This food doesn't taste played out, like it's been sitting under a hot plate all day. I get the feeling like the owners there care about the quality they are supplying.

Must be good competition in that part of the city.

http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/15/19147...Palace-Calgary

Check the take out menu, as if you pay a certain amount, there is a free item, but you have to ask for it. Also, I always ask for no MSG, but it's best to specify that when ordering.

Last edited by Harry Lime; 06-29-2014 at 10:21 PM. Reason: added link
Harry Lime is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Harry Lime For This Useful Post:
Old 06-30-2014, 01:10 PM   #64
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Any consensus on the best Chinese Food in the NW? We usually do Bobby Chao's in Edgemont as they seem to be better than anything else we have tried in the area as unfortunately the NW doesn't have a great selection of good Chinese Food.

Maybe will have to try Hawkwood Palace again as we tried it once and didn't like it as we had a vegetable dish that came with a glaze that had so much cornstarch it got lumpy and gross.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 06-30-2014 at 01:14 PM.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 01:24 PM   #65
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta_Beef View Post
Thought I would give this a bump.

I am coming up to Calgary in a couple weeks and will be staying in the Motel Village area. There is no good Chinese food in my town and I have really been wanting some good Chinese food lately. So I was wondering about some delivery options that might be good. I will just assume that I prefer westernized Chinese.
I really like August Moon on Elbow drive.

http://www.augustmoon.ca/

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 06-30-2014, 06:39 PM   #66
darockwilder
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Snow Palace in Crowfoot.
darockwilder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to darockwilder For This Useful Post:
Old 06-30-2014, 06:50 PM   #67
keratosis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Drive out to Okotoks. Bigrock Inn. It was really good last time I was there.
keratosis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 11:21 PM   #68
Bork
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drury18 View Post
Hawkwood Palace. http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/15/19070...Palace-Calgary

I've been ordering from there for 10+ years and have yet to have a bad meal. Strongly recommend the Won Ton Soup. Won Tons are delicious and seasoned, veggies in the soup are still partly crunchy and have not been cooked to a soggy mess. The ginger beef is also delicious. Crunchy and well breaded beef, sauce is appropriately spicy.

They have also been great about allergy accommodations. Have an sensitivity to MSG so I have requested without and every time they have it written on my order no MSG and I've never had a problem.
I second this. I've been going for 25+ years, since it was Bill's Peking House, and still drive to Hawkwood to pick this up. Amazing.
Bork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 12:28 PM   #69
no_joke
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
Haven't checked the rest of the thread, so replying to the bump. Shanghai Palace in Edgemont, about the same distance as the one in Hawkwood from your location. I've eaten in a lot of Chinese restaurants, and my two qualifications are the taste of the food, and the freshness of the food. This food doesn't taste played out, like it's been sitting under a hot plate all day. I get the feeling like the owners there care about the quality they are supplying.

Must be good competition in that part of the city.
What's your favourite dish? My dad makes most of the food there. I'll pass along your compliments to the chef.
no_joke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 11:20 PM   #70
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

We tried Great Taste (sorry GoFlamesGo, my wife wanted to try it out) in Chinatown (which replaced MBA which went downhill, IMO), and it was quite good. I was impressed by pretty much everything we ordered.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 10:35 AM   #71
St. Pats
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I've always liked the Dragon Gate in Marda Loop and now they have a 2nd location on 17 ave. in the former Eastgate restaurant.
St. Pats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 10:55 AM   #72
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

I`ll have to check out these places in Hawkwood and Edgemont now that I live in the NW.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 01:43 PM   #73
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by St. Pats View Post
I've always liked the Dragon Gate in Marda Loop and now they have a 2nd location on 17 ave. in the former Eastgate restaurant.
I hope the one in Marda Loop is better, tried the one on 17th Ave SE after the ownership change and they make Manchu Wok in the mall look really good.

Place was empty, barely any food for most of the dishes, most were cold.. all of which would be forgiven if the food was good but mostly it was between barely passable to bad. Not the worst Chinese buffet I've tried.. but I won't be back and do not recommend it to anyone.
Old 09-17-2014, 03:21 PM   #74
_Q_
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Oh man Dragon Gate is terrible. I went there during the floods last year since not much else was open and it's in my neighborhood. It's literally the worst Chinese food I've ever eaten and might have been top 10 in terms of worst meals I've had.

My new go to Chinese restaurant these days is Silver Dragon. They have some of the best dimsum in the city and awesome Peking duck.

Also Longs on 17th and South Silk Road in Kensington are pretty damn good if you want something interesting and different from the standard Cantonese food in this city.
_Q_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 03:24 PM   #75
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

I wish we could get these egg rolls from Ottawa:

http://goldenpalacerestaurant.ca/

Golden Palace, third-generation family-owned, is the oldest Chinese restaurant in Ottawa. For the past 54 years, our guests have put their trust in the quality of our food and have enjoyed the friendly atmosphere in our restaurant. In addition to a wide selection of dishes on our menu, we also have the famous GP eggrolls that are enjoyed by many customers around the world.
troutman is online now   Reply With Quote