Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-22-2014, 06:04 PM   #21
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Displaced Flames fan View Post
Live

Don't think that one will ever happen either. Their first 4 records were awesome. Especially Throwing Copper and Secret Samadhi.
Wow, I could have swore I had seen shows listed in Calgary every other year for Live, so I was like "what's he talking about?".

Then I looked it up and realized I had seen them play shows in Calgary up until about 2009 when this happened. The lamest thing Ed did was demand a $100k lead singer bonus at that pinkpop festival, haha. Brutal.

Definitely doesn't sound like they'll be getting back together, ever.

Quote:
"I had simply come to the end of a chapter in my life and wanted to spread my wings and move beyond what I had been doing, in the same way, for almost 20 years. As far as the allegations that were leveled at me and purported as the reason for the breakup, they were all absolutely untrue. I have no plans to work with those individuals again
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 06:06 PM   #22
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

I do agree with Ed, though that it's a little lame of the band to just book shows as Live and act like nothing happened, and surprise a lot of people on tour with a different lead singer.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 06:54 PM   #23
Methanolic
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

[QUOTE=dissentowner;4887436]My favorite singer of all time finally hits the stage again with the Eels. Obviously he is not the vocalist he was in his 30's but it is pretty damn impressive for a guy that walked away from music over 20 years ago and has not really sang since.

ww!! Pretty damn good!

Multiple Thanks!
Methanolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 09:52 AM   #24
fatso
First Line Centre

Exp:

re: Live. They were one of the best... live... acts I've seen. Saw them in 1995 in Vancouver and again in the mid-2000s in Calgary. Whatever people think of their music, they were damned tight as a band. And Ed Kowalczyk is a killer singer.

Their fall-out is pretty weird, but by all accounts they had all become pretty self-absorbed. Not sure who is to blame, but I agree it is weak to be touring as 'Live' without Ed.

I saw Ed on an acoustic tour earlier this year in a tiny theatre in Vancouver. Could not have been more than 100 people there. It was a good show and it was cool to hear the old tunes. Actually, his new stuff isn't too far removed from Live's later work. I check his website every now and then, and he does tour with a full-band. I'd definitely go see him again. He's still got the vocal chops.

The great CP is in dire need of prunes!
"That's because the productive part of society is adverse to giving up all their wealth so you libs can conduct your social experiments. Experience tells us your a bunch of snake oil salesman...Sucks to be you.
" ~Calgaryborn 12/06/09 keeping it really stupid!
fatso is offline   Reply With Quote