Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-27-2017, 01:00 PM   #1341
rotten42
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Today's watch

rotten42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 02:39 PM   #1342
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunkstyle View Post
Got an email about that a few weeks ago.

Would love to get a Speedy but still a little leery of the authenticity going that route.
I wouldn't be leery of the authenticity of a watch going through Amazon. I'm sure Amazon requires some sort of inspection to sell. Bring the watch to someone to to inspect when it arrives or something if you're concerned.

Personally, I'd be more leery of the money going out my pocket than the platform (Amazon) I'm grabbing the watch from.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 06:22 PM   #1343
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
I wouldn't be leery of the authenticity of a watch going through Amazon. I'm sure Amazon requires some sort of inspection to sell. Bring the watch to someone to to inspect when it arrives or something if you're concerned.

Personally, I'd be more leery of the money going out my pocket than the platform (Amazon) I'm grabbing the watch from.

Agreed. The pricing on Seamasters at least, is nothing special.
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 03:07 AM   #1344
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

So again, I'm dreaming but sticking to "affordable" for me. I was considering saving for a Seiko SARB035 ~$500 CDN

or SARY055 ~$400 CDN

But, I have been looking at vintage dress watches on Chrono24.ca and I'm really attracted to this mid-century style Seamaster. I generally like mid-century styling in industrial design. Heck, I walked into Sears Northhill during their closing sale and went into the back rooms just to check out the 50s/60s walls that are still original and it made me really happy for some reason.

A couple of things worry me though. The description says the dial has been repainted (how did they redo the lettering?). Does that ruin the value? It's also 56 years old and from India so no idea about service history or future service costs.

http://www.chrono24.ca/omega/seamast...-id6867439.htm

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 10-28-2017 at 03:14 AM.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 05:43 PM   #1345
longsuffering
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post

A couple of things worry me though. The description says the dial has been repainted (how did they redo the lettering?). Does that ruin the value? It's also 56 years old and from India so no idea about service history or future service costs.

http://www.chrono24.ca/omega/seamast...-id6867439.htm
There's a pretty good chance that this is a Frankenwatch meaning that the watch was 'assembled' in India using Omega parts (case, movement, repainted dial) rather than a restoration of an actual watch.

The size alone (38mm) should set off warning bells. 1960's era watches were typically 36mm in diameter or less.

I'd be wary.

A couple other (late) thoughts.

That's a great Seiko and you can't go wrong with it. It's a fav of watch people.

The best advice I ever received about buying pre-owned or vintage watches: Buy the seller. Research any available information on the seller. If it's a private seller, ask for references. If it's an online seller, research customer opinions. Most watch sites have some kind of feedback forum.

Last edited by longsuffering; 10-28-2017 at 06:19 PM. Reason: late thoughts
longsuffering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 03:56 PM   #1346
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Affordable Alternatives to Classic Luxury Watches
Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 10:35 PM   #1347
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burninator View Post
I agree with some of those but I would never go for an Invicta as an option for a Submariner and most of his homage selections are quartz choices when there are automatic options for those.

He also recommends an SXK007 for an everyman's version of the Omega Seamaster which is an interesting choice because unlike everything else on there, it's not an homage.

Coincidentally a new watch arrived from Singapore yesterday! SXK007 with Roman Numeral days of the week!

Got it for $240 CDN shipped brand new on Ebay. I tried to buy it locally to help out small businesses but the only local place I found it in was selling it for $595 + GST with the rubber strap! It's too bad there are no good watch shops in Calgary (that I know of).

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 11-15-2017 at 10:46 PM.
Old 11-15-2017, 11:24 PM   #1348
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

This is my Seiko box. Lots of JDM stuff, hard to find, and collectible. A few cheapies I thought were cool too. As you can see I'm a sucker for Auto Divers.

Last edited by pylon; 11-15-2017 at 11:34 PM.
pylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 12:47 AM   #1349
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pylon View Post
This is my Seiko box. Lots of JDM stuff, hard to find, and collectible. A few cheapies I thought were cool too. As you can see I'm a sucker for Auto Divers.

Your photo bucket doesn't work. Doesn't allow 3rd party hosting.
Old 11-16-2017, 01:00 PM   #1350
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Picked this up on sale:

Really different than anything else I have. It's actually really difficult to read in low light so I guess it's pretty impractical, but I really dig the clean face in contrast to what I normally wear.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 01:05 PM   #1351
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Time? Ya, it's, uh, black past black.

Spoiler!
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 01:50 PM   #1352
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Looks like Citizen's take on a Movado which makes it instantly 1,000,000 times better.
Old 11-20-2017, 02:38 PM   #1353
Pacem
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I've been lurking this thread for awhile.

I am nearing 40 and think it's time to grow up and get a decent dress watch. I've been wearing a Garmin this past year as a test run to see if I even like wearing a watch. I loved them as a child. I passed the test.

Had crappy experiences shopping around in person at pretty much every place i went to.

I don't like the idea of spending a decent chunk without trying on a watch. So I'm looking at lowering my budget and buying online. Seiko seems the way to go to find a decent automatic in a lower budget.

I live in BC. What kind of duties and taxes should I expect to pay? Is Seiyajapan the best site to go to? 24chronos?
Watchuseek? Amazon? Am I paying the same taxes and duties no matter what?

Thanks in advance
Pacem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 02:47 PM   #1354
Pacem
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Double post.

Last edited by Pacem; 11-20-2017 at 04:27 PM.
Old 11-20-2017, 02:56 PM   #1355
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacem View Post
I've been lurking this thread for awhile.

I am nearing 40 and think it's time to grow up and get a decent dress watch. I've been wearing a Garmin this past year as a test run to see if I even like wearing a watch. I loved them as a child. I passed the test.

Had crappy experiences shopping around in person at pretty much every place i went to.

I don't like the idea of spending a decent chunk without trying on a watch. So I'm looking at lowering my budget and buying online. Seiko seems the way to go to find a decent automatic in a lower budget.

I live in BC. What kind of duties and taxes should I expect to pay? Is Seiyajapan the best site to go to? 24chronos?
Watchuseek? Amazon? Am I paying the same taxes and duties no matter what?

Thanks in advance
Amazon (especially if fulfilled by Amazon) is the way to go! Easy returns, no duties, fast delivery!

You can still try watches locally then buy online. Any watch in particular catch your eye? Budget or price range?

The new Presage watches based on the Japanese "Cocktail Time" watches have caught my eye recently but in the $400+ range.

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 11-20-2017 at 02:59 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2017, 04:28 PM   #1356
Pacem
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Hahaha yup the one on the right is the one I'm looking at.
Old 11-20-2017, 06:09 PM   #1357
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacem View Post
Hahaha yup the one on the right is the one I'm looking at.
Unfortunately I haven't seen them in any stores locally to try on or inspect although I know Watch Warehouse in the NE does carry Presage line watches.

There's a 5% off sale @ Seiya Japan courtesy of RFD
https://forums.redflagdeals.com/seiy...japan-2143829/

It's not much but saves you $20 off the SARY075
https://www.seiyajapan.com/collectio...075-japan-made

Anecdoctally, I've bought a bunch of watches from Amazon.ca and did not pay additional duties as the prices are supposed to reflect that already included. All my Seikos are from Ebay however.

One complication is if you go for the original Japanese version (the Cocktail Time) or SARB065, it has way better mechanicals. The SARY075 utilizes the 4R35 caliber Seiko movement while the SARB065 utilizes the legendary 6R15 caliber Seiko movement

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 11-20-2017 at 06:11 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2017, 07:55 PM   #1358
Pacem
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Excellent, thanks for all the info. I hadn't researched much on Seiko and my next step was looking at the different movement types.
Old 11-20-2017, 11:25 PM   #1359
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

If Seiko is still just out of your price range, I'd consider looking at the Orient Bambino. Looking at the prices right now, they're at some pretty good prices on Amazon based on camelcamelcamel history. They range between $130-$330 brand new.

Orient is owned by Seiko.

https://www.amazon.ca/Orient-Bambino...29THY780PJZPE9
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 12:06 AM   #1360
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Another watch lovers blog, to bookmark is a local fella Cam M. Takes fantastic photos of every day pieces.

https://wristwatch.photography/brand...rmand-nicolet/
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote