Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-2017, 10:51 AM   #1
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default What are you getting you kids for Christmas?

A recent shopping trip is now confirming that post rememberance day the buying stuff Christmas season is officially upon us.

After last year's lightsabre (known colloquially at my house as "the daddy bashing stick") debacle, I'm interested to hear what you will be getting your kids for Christmas.

Our youngest (age 2) is getting mostly cars I think (hot wheels plus some Disney ones). Our older son (not quite 4) is a bit trickier. Probably getting some Lego juniors stuff and the rest TBD.

What will you be getting your kids? What has been the best/most unexpectedly fun gift you've done in the past?
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 12:22 PM   #2
stang
CP's Fraser Crane

Exp:

Trip to DL last year and Cuba this year. My kids have a lot of "stuff" already.
stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 12:50 PM   #3
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Our 2.5 year old is getting a Leap Reader + Leapfrog books and Cars 3 on Bluray. Plus some other little stocking stuffers. Getting a big Hot Wheels city set from grandma and grandpa that was on sale at Toys R Us.

Our 5 month old is just getting some baby stuff. You know -- the 6-12 month style toys just designed for developing motor skills and such.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 11-13-2017, 12:56 PM   #4
rotten42
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Trip to Mexico. We've been doing it since my son was 1 1/2.
rotten42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 01:08 PM   #5
pseudoreality
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

My oldest turns four just before Christmas. I asked her what she wanted and said a sparkly present. I think I might shop around for some kind of indoor gym so we can exercise together. Last year I got her a big car track that she still plays with everyday. I like to stay away from electronic toys. She's has a lot of older cousins and hence a lit of hand me down toys. Last week I was offered a giant doll house and electric quad for her. My wife thinks she has too much already.

My four month old might get some chew toys.
pseudoreality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 01:14 PM   #6
Kybosh
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudoreality View Post
My oldest turns four just before Christmas. I asked her what she wanted and said a sparkly present. I think I might shop around for some kind of indoor gym so we can exercise together. Last year I got her a big car track that she still plays with everyday. I like to stay away from electronic toys. She's has a lot of older cousins and hence a lit of hand me down toys. Last week I was offered a giant doll house and electric quad for her. My wife thinks she has too much already.

My four month old might get some chew toys.
The Hanger climbing gym up by the airport has a kids type area called ClimbPark that you two might be into. It's a pretty good facility. You could do things together or get her in a class.
Kybosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 01:43 PM   #7
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

i'm not really sure what my wife is getting the kids for christmas this year

our daughter is 4 and our son is 2

i know she picked up a bunch of stuff a couple weeks ago at toys 'r us becuz they had a smoking good sale. i think there was some paw patrol stuff in one of the bags

i know my wife will likely get a bunch of stuff online in a couple weeks with the black friday sales. she tends to 'bulk buy'... get lots of stuff when it's on sale and then uses it for christmas, birthdays, etc.

i think one of the best 'fun' gifts she picked up was a scooter for our daughter last year. our son LOVED it, so she went and got him one. they fly all over the upstairs and so far the walls have been unharmed (for the most part) and no major crashes. the kids just love them.
Old 11-13-2017, 01:47 PM   #8
me_dennis
Scoring Winger

Exp:

My wife and I were discussing this the other day too. Our 2 yr old son's birthday just passed (Halloween baby) so he has way too many toys. We thought about maybe getting him some skates and protective equipment so he can start learning how to skate; however, we weren't too sure if it's too early to start.

Anyone have any experience with teaching a toddler how to skate? What type of skates is best recommended? I think it would be a struggle to put a helmet on him without him freaking out, so it might have to wait until he turns 3.
me_dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 02:48 PM   #9
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Nothing my kids are a-holes!
fundmark19 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to fundmark19 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-13-2017, 04:31 PM   #10
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

As my kids get older, their "wish list" shrinks, but the price tag increases.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 11-13-2017, 04:54 PM   #11
scotty2hotty
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

My boys are aged 3 and 4. It means that we need to buy two of everything.

You would think the same item but different colours would be good. Nope. Has to be EXACTLY the same in every facet or blood will be shed.

Currently they're into: Cars (anything Lightning McQueen), Dinotrux, Rescue Bots, and Robocar Poli.

They both have Strider bikes, but I'm thinking of getting them pedal bikes. The 4 year old is ready. The 3 year old isn't. Unfortunately, I'm required by toddler law to purchase two regardless.
Old 11-13-2017, 05:20 PM   #12
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nothing. She is only 1 year old so won't remember anything and her grandparents will be spoiling her with more than enough gifts.

Next year I think she'll get a stocking from Santa though.
Old 11-13-2017, 05:27 PM   #13
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty2hotty View Post
My boys are aged 3 and 4. It means that we need to buy two of everything.

You would think the same item but different colours would be good. Nope. Has to be EXACTLY the same in every facet or blood will be shed.

Currently they're into: Cars (anything Lightning McQueen), Dinotrux, Rescue Bots, and Robocar Poli.

They both have Strider bikes, but I'm thinking of getting them pedal bikes. The 4 year old is ready. The 3 year old isn't. Unfortunately, I'm required by toddler law to purchase two regardless.

Interesting. My house looks like a bad summer camp movie, everything comes in twos, one in blue, one in red.

This includes lightning McQueen.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 06:41 PM   #14
gasman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Boy (5): nerf guns (I’m really looking forward to that, new sled, lego, books,
Girl (8): code cards (learn to code), some kind of create a circuit thing, lots of books,
gasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 06:49 PM   #15
Peanut
First Line Centre

Exp:

Age 8: sewing machine
Age 4: playmobil jet plane. Maybe also the airport.
Age 2: giant Bruder recycling truck
Age 1 month: I’m going to wrap up a bunch of old baby toys that I saved from the other kids.

And then everyone has an assortment of age appropriate Lego, books, and some other small things.
Old 11-13-2017, 09:28 PM   #16
tete
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post
Nothing. She is only 1 year old so won't remember anything and her grandparents will be spoiling her with more than enough gifts.

Next year I think she'll get a stocking from Santa though.
Good call. We managed to get through 2 or 3 birthdays and Christmases that way.

Our daughter's birthday is Dec 24 and we celebrate Christmas on Jan 6th, so we have to stockpile gifts and figure out what she gets when. She'll be 6 this year. So far, we have a dinosaur set, a Smithsonian "geode" and dino build set from Costco, a tub of craft supplies and Magformers (Amazon has a great deal on them for the next two hours!) We usually have to buy on behalf of the grandparents since they're all out of town, so we'll need a couple more presents yet.
tete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 10:47 PM   #17
calf
broke the first rule

Exp:

2.5 year old is getting a Tickle Me Elmo (of which the batteries will run out forever by new years) and some play dough, knowing that the grandparents will spoil him.

Getting his 1.5 year old twin cousins basically a basket load of Crayola supplies to make as huge a mess as possible in my brothers new house.
calf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 12:28 AM   #18
savemedrzaius
Help, save, whatever.

Exp:

Isn't the point of Christmas to open up gifts when you are a kid? Lots of awesome toys and junk to play with? No Santa in Canada anymore? I feel like when I was a kid if all me and my sister's got was a trip I'd feel ripped off. My best memories of Christmas are when I still believed in Santa. Getting up early and opening the presents with my family. Opening a gift and telling my parent's what Santa got me. Completely amazed that some magic old guy came and gave me all these ninja turtles.
savemedrzaius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to savemedrzaius For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2017, 12:43 AM   #19
calgarybornnraised
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I love how you new parents get off easy, wait till their 16 and want Cars and College educations. What a time to be alive.
calgarybornnraised is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calgarybornnraised For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2017, 07:19 AM   #20
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by savemedrzaius View Post
Isn't the point of Christmas to open up gifts when you are a kid? Lots of awesome toys and junk to play with? No Santa in Canada anymore? I feel like when I was a kid if all me and my sister's got was a trip I'd feel ripped off. My best memories of Christmas are when I still believed in Santa. Getting up early and opening the presents with my family. Opening a gift and telling my parent's what Santa got me. Completely amazed that some magic old guy came and gave me all these ninja turtles.
well for one, not everyone can afford to buy lots of awesome toys and junk.

and for those that can, maybe Christmas and raising their kids means more than lots of junk.

kids have too much crap to begin with. better to broaden their horizons and teach them something, and give great memories.
I respect those that dial back on too many toys and are travelling with their children.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GordonBlue For This Useful Post: