Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum

View Poll Results: Who should start Wednesday
Elliott 128 31.37%
Johnson 108 26.47%
Gillies 172 42.16%
Voters: 408. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-19-2017, 10:26 AM   #261
zukes
Nostradamus

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corral View Post
The opinion that somehow Elliot is the reason Calgary is down 3-0, is an opinion that can only be held by someone who is an armchair fan that has never actually played the game. Sorry to be so harsh, but really the Ducks have controlled the play in this series in all facets of the game. Flames brass are getting a good look at where changes are needed if this is a team that wants to contend over the next 5 years.
What? Are? You? Watching?
Old 04-19-2017, 10:30 AM   #262
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
The opinion that somehow Elliot is the reason Calgary is down 3-0, is an opinion that can only be held by someone who is an armchair fan that has never actually played the game. Sorry to be so harsh, but really the Ducks have controlled the play in this series in all facets of the game. Flames brass are getting a good look at where changes are needed if this is a team that wants to contend over the next 5 years.
Except they have not.

Even though the outcome of this series is not what I had hoped for to this point, as a fan I am pretty happy with how the team has played, and how they look heading into the future. I honestly don't think that there are many major changes to be made: most of the improvement will continue to come from within the organisation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 10:41 AM   #263
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

There are 3 reasons (for the most part) that the Flames are down 0-3 in this series:

1) Bad Luck
2) Lack of Composure at times
3) Inconsistent goaltending

Elliott has been losing against the Ducks. Maybe the Ducks have Elliott figured out, maybe Elliott is a bit rattled, I am not sure. Either way, he isn't getting that job done. You pull him out of the equation. Last game coming to play on home ice was his chance to redeem himself in my mind.

Now you have a choice between Johnson, Gillies or Rittich. Johnson has been inconsistent and is just coming back from injury. I wish that Gulutzan would have pulled Elliott after that 3rd goal, but I guess you never pull a goalie when ahead. In hindsight, that would have been a good trial for Johnson to see if he was ready or not.

I say you just throw Gillies out there. I am expecting the Flames to lose this series now (unfortunately), and you know what you have in Johnson and Elliott. I don't think you are going to harm Gillies by starting him. He is what I would say the only goalie out of the 3 that has any long-term viability to the organization. Is this good for his development? Or would it be detrimental? I think it would just be a good test for him.

I would be ok with Rittich as well. Only saw him for a period in the NHL. No idea if he is NHL caliber or not, but given how many games Elliott has played against the Ducks and how often he has let in some bad goals (and while also making godly saves, which shows how good he can be, but how wildly inconsistent his game is now), I would be fine with Rittich as well.

Calgary has controlled the play and pushed the pace for the most part. They have out-shot and out-chanced the Ducks. They just haven't had the luxury of having a strong CONSISTENT goaltender, and that rattles a team like nothing else.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 10:44 AM   #264
automaton 3
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
No.
automaton 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 10:49 AM   #265
David Struch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Derek Wills‏Verified account @Fan960Wills 18s19 seconds ago
More
Chad Johnson and Jon Gillies sharing a net at #Flames morning skate, Brian Elliott has his own. Looks like Moose is the man for Game 4.
David Struch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 10:52 AM   #266
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldrickOnIce View Post
On a Wednesday night and an 8pm start? None
But if we relax your self imposed parameters a touch, there is John Gibson.
In the second round of the 2014 playoffs with his team trailing the series 2-1 Gibson (20), who had only played in 3 NHL games to that point, started on the road in LA (eventual Cup champions) and recorded a 28 save shutout.
The guy who won the Cup with the Penguins last year is younger than Gilles too. But that is the entire reason why CliffFletcher went with that specifically specific scenario. Because even he knows young goalies get starts in pressure situations and needed to change the parameters to maintain the illusion of being right.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2017, 10:55 AM   #267
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kukkudo View Post
Regardless who plays tonight if its Elliott or Johnson I don't see them back next season.
I fear they may bring Johnson back because he will likely take another one year deal on the cheap.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 10:59 AM   #268
Corral
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Bad teams make good goalies look bad.

Good teams make bad goalies look good.

Elliot backstopped the Blues to the WCF just last year. He's not our problem. Just saying.
Corral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 11:00 AM   #269
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

I think Gillies takes Johnson's role on this team next year and the Flames either bring back Elliott on a low dollar deal or try their luck on another teams backup being the next Jones or Talbot.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 11:02 AM   #270
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Weren't the guys on Sportsnet or the Fan talking about how Elliott is a guy that almost needs to play with a chip on his shoulder and hypothesized that his regular season run was due to him being singled out like he is now? Who knows, maybe he goes on a similar run now?
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 11:03 AM   #271
scotty2hotty
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post
There are 3 reasons (for the most part) that the Flames are down 0-3 in this series:

1) Bad Luck
2) Lack of Composure at times
3) Inconsistent goaltending
I would rank it:

1) Poor goaltending
2) Lack of composure
3) Out-coached

Elliott is ranked last in the league (playoff teams). That has to be the #1 factor, IMO.
Old 04-19-2017, 11:04 AM   #272
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Elliot backstopped the Blues to the WCF just last year. He's not our problem. Just saying.
I agree. He is soon to be another team's problem. He's not a bad goalie but he's simply not consistent enough to be depended on as a 60 game starter in the NHL. Flames have been the better team for most of this series and Elliott's played a role in the fact that they are 0-3. Have the Flames given up a breakaway or even a clean 2 on 1 in this series outside of the disaster line change? All the Ducks goals have been shots from mostly outside the circles or banked in rebounds from shoddy rebound control.
Old 04-19-2017, 11:04 AM   #273
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:

So, what is the problem, then? The Flames possession metrics and powerplay have been good, and the difference in this series has been a couple of controversial calls against them. If it is not suspect goaltending, then what am I missing here?

Quote:
Old 04-19-2017, 11:07 AM   #274
Corral
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Everybody here realizes that goaltending these day is all about positional play? Sure there is the odd rebound here and there that Elliot wants back. But if the team playing in front of you doesn't do a good enough job directing and controlling where the opponent's shots are coming from - very few goalies are going to save you. We had one of these goalies once - his name was Kipper.
Old 04-19-2017, 11:09 AM   #275
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Everybody here realizes that goaltending these day is all about positional play? Sure there is the odd rebound here and there that Elliot wants back. But if the team playing in front of you doesn't do a good enough job directing and controlling where the opponent's shots are coming from - very few goalies are going to save you. We had one of these goalies once - his name was Kipper.
That is not what is happening in this series. There have simply been too many goals scored off of shots from odd angles or deflected off of Flames players to chalk this up as a problem.

Quote:
Old 04-19-2017, 11:13 AM   #276
Corral
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
So, what is the problem, then? The Flames possession metrics and powerplay have been good, and the difference in this series has been a couple of controversial calls against them. If it is not suspect goaltending, then what am I missing here?
At least a couple key goals by the Ducks have gone past Elliot after hitting a Flame. That's called poor position in your own end. And its just one illustration of what I am trying to say. its not just bad luck.
Old 04-19-2017, 11:14 AM   #277
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Have you actually watched the games? The Flames really couldn't do much of a better job keeping the Ducks shots to the outside. The Flames have had far more close in, quality chances in this series.
Old 04-19-2017, 11:14 AM   #278
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

he was our problem last game...Flames barely allowed a scoring chance and they got five
Old 04-19-2017, 11:15 AM   #279
Corral
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
That is not what is happening in this series. There have simply been too many goals scored off of shots from odd angles or deflected off of Flames players to chalk this up as a problem.
Agree with you - but I think we disagree on whether angles and deflections are just the work of lady luck
Old 04-19-2017, 11:17 AM   #280
smiggy77
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
lollllllllllll you haven't been watching have you.

Two goals in Game 2, a goal in game three, and just generally not being consistent and giving your team the confidence in the first save or some rebound control is really a contributing effect that trickles down through the roster.

If you've ever played the game, you'd know how demoralizing it is from a bad goal when you're controlling the game. It's easy to be thrown off your game and lose confidence in game.

I'm not saying that it's all his fault, but he has been a big factor in our downfall in these playoffs.