Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2017, 06:10 PM   #621
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

I guess it depends on what they do with it. If it's "hey look where we are, this is crazy, oh no we're all captured, now we escaped and figured out a way home" for 2 episodes, that's different than "Voyager - Mirror Universe"
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2017, 12:08 AM   #622
craigwd
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Don't want to be that guy but today's solid Orville episode really reminded me why I'm only mildly enthused about STD while absolutely loving The Orville.

I care and root for each one of the characters on the Orville. I want to know more about their stories and love how they all get along and work together as a team.

On Discovery we're basically seeing the B-team as none of the main characters besides Lorca are the senior staff. They all seem to dislike each other and it's hard to cheer for any of them.
craigwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 07:12 AM   #623
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Ok, this really drove me nuts. "Ok Berman, I'm not letting you go on the away mission, but Tyler, you were tortured by the Klingons for 7 months, and haven't had any psychological counseling of a vacation, off you go" Lorca logic.
Given Lorca resumed command by hiding his own PTSD, this is actually logically consistent.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 10:16 AM   #624
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigwd View Post
Don't want to be that guy but today's solid Orville episode really reminded me why I'm only mildly enthused about STD while absolutely loving The Orville.

I care and root for each one of the characters on the Orville. I want to know more about their stories and love how they all get along and work together as a team.

On Discovery we're basically seeing the B-team as none of the main characters besides Lorca are the senior staff. They all seem to dislike each other and it's hard to cheer for any of them.
Saru is first officer, Tyler is security chief. Stamets is chief engineer of the Spore drive. The only B-team main character is Tilly and it's kind of refreshing to have a newbie ensign be part of the main cast (that isn't inexplicably granted a bridge position like Wesley Crusher or Harry Kim).

I'm already getting tired of Orville's constant forced humor and lack of overarching story.
OutOfTheCube is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 12:09 PM   #625
craigwd
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
Saru is first officer, Tyler is security chief. Stamets is chief engineer of the Spore drive. The only B-team main character is Tilly and it's kind of refreshing to have a newbie ensign be part of the main cast (that isn't inexplicably granted a bridge position like Wesley Crusher or Harry Kim).

I'm already getting tired of Orville's constant forced humor and lack of overarching story.
My mistake and Saru and Tyler. Granted Saru is the First Officer (why I have no idea because he's an awful manager).

But has Stamets ever been described as anything beyond the designer and head of the spore drive? Culber is not the chief medical officer, Tilly (who I do like) is only a cadet that seems work on the drive.
craigwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 05:28 PM   #626
Kjesse
Retired

Exp:

I skimmed through the episodes last night, just looking at Lorca's scenes.

His character arc was clearly intended to make him unlikable at the start, then by the last couple of episodes he becomes somewhat sympathetic.

The series' actors have improved throughout the episodes. Saru in particular was also very dislikable at first but as you come to understand him the character grows on you.

Burnham might be the character who holds this series back, she's the focus but hasn't been that great to watch.
Kjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 06:56 PM   #627
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I'm trying to stick with this show but I have the same problem, I simply don't give a damn about any of the characters.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 08:59 PM   #628
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've read the book 'Desperate Hours' too (which for the first time is considered canon-ish) and it gives a lot more depth to Saru and Burnham (and her relationship with Spock) in particular. I don't expect everyone will read the novels too of course, but it has really helped to enhance the show.
Old 12-13-2017, 01:16 PM   #629
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Just finished watching the series up to the mid-season finale. While I was ready to write it off after the first couple of episodes, I think it vastly improved as it went along and the finale was excellent. Lorca is now one of my favorite Trek captains right alongside Sisko, he has a lot of depth and a darker side to him that we haven't seen since In The Pale Moonlight. I also enjoyed the fact that the show isn't centered around the primary officers, and the main characters were added organically. It gives a sense of uncertainty when you're not sure who will live or die, rather than all the other Treks where it was "Here's your bridge crew, none of them will ever die except for maybe the one poor actor that no one will care about"

As for the finale I think it's positive that Tyler is Voq after that last bit. I wonder if they'll try going down the route of having thousands or millions of Klingons altered to look human as part of a gurilla war now that their cloaking tech won't work. Would be a nice little explanation and homage for TOS
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 12:10 PM   #630
Kjesse
Retired

Exp:

This resumes tonight! Its going to be a great episode methinks.

Some information has leaked already and you can put a few things together, it looks to wind up a few loose ends and Frakes has provided another spoiler that you can google and find if you don't want to wait.
The Following User Says Thank You to Kjesse For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2018, 07:01 PM   #631
Kjesse
Retired

Exp:

That was... amazing.
Old 01-07-2018, 07:16 PM   #632
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yep I don’t know how any Trek fan could dislike the series at this point. Awesome.

My friend at work called...

Spoiler!
Old 01-07-2018, 09:09 PM   #633
photon

Exp:

Oh my.
Old 01-07-2018, 09:12 PM   #634
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Indeed. I’m not sure what to think at the moment.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 09:28 PM   #635
photon

Exp:

Doesn't look like it's going to be a couple of episodes in the Mirror Universe and then back to normal.
Old 01-07-2018, 09:51 PM   #636
Byrns
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Great episode, I didn’t realize Frakes directed it.
Byrns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 10:13 PM   #637
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Actually I'm suprised at how good this episode was, and it was really good

Spoiler!

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 10:16 PM   #638
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Frakes has become a pretty good television director, but its still hard to forgive him for that abortion Insurrection.

Old 01-07-2018, 10:23 PM   #639
Byrns
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Byrns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 10:41 PM   #640
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Yeah I see your point Bryns, but I'd like to point out that

!! .-.- kitten face.