Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 06-24-2020, 11:46 AM   #3361
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

stay calm man.
Old 06-24-2020, 11:47 AM   #3362
RatherDashing
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Out 403 View Post
see below

To stop calling it a noose? It's a ####ing garage door pulley. By insisting it's a noose, which has very specific negative connotations, he's egging on idiots like Al Sharpton to push this narrative.

This is like the Oakland rope but even dumber, if possible.
Again, everybody involved is calling it a noose. It sounds like the rope was tied as a noose. The rope wasn't tied with a simple loop at the end of it, somebody went out of their way to tie it as a noose.

Why is it Bubba Wallace's responsibility to declare that it isn't a noose? If he's asked a question about it, what is he supposed to say?
Old 06-24-2020, 11:47 AM   #3363
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post
Stop calling it what it is?

It's a noose. Why is calling it a noose such a problem. The noose was not directed at him but it's still a noose. Why would someone need to tie a noose into a garage door pulley? It makes no sense to tie a noose into that. It really seems like a poor choice by someone to tie a noose there even if it wasn't directed at him specifically.
Serious question. This isn't trolling, I promise.

When you first heard that the FBI concluded this was a door pulley installed last year and not a hate crime directed at Bubba Wallace, were you disappointed? You seem really hopeful that this is a hate crime still, directed to... someone.
Old 06-24-2020, 11:48 AM   #3364
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

It's a noose. Why is calling it a noose such a problem. The noose was not directed at him but it's still a noose. Why would someone need to tie a noose into a garage door pulley? It makes no sense to tie a noose into that. It really seems like a poor choice by someone to tie a noose there even if it wasn't directed at him specifically.
has there been a picture of it?

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
Old 06-24-2020, 11:49 AM   #3365
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
https://ftw.usatoday.com/2020/06/nas...-don-lemon-cnn

oh #### this. another jussi smolett situation. this is such hot garbage. screw you bubba wallace. seriously. he's doubling down and saying its a noose. what in the actual ####

He could be in a position where he's now stuck pushing this narrative. His surge in popularity will probably translate to sponsorship deals and now that the wheels are in motion he has no choice to ride it out.
Old 06-24-2020, 11:49 AM   #3366
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

When you first heard that the FBI concluded this was a door pulley installed last year and not a hate crime directed at Bubba Wallace, were you disappointed? You seem really hopeful that this is a hate crime still, directed to... someone.
Nope, I was happy that the noose wasn't directed at him.
Old 06-24-2020, 11:50 AM   #3367
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Nope, I was happy that the noose wasn't directed at him.
Can you be specific about how a garage door pulley can be "directed" at someone?

edit:
Old 06-24-2020, 11:54 AM   #3368
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
https://ftw.usatoday.com/2020/06/nas...-don-lemon-cnn

oh #### this. another jussi smolett situation. this is such hot garbage. screw you bubba wallace. seriously. he's doubling down and saying its a noose. what in the actual ####
Quote:
I'm not terribly upset, and I'm not terribly wound up. Thanks for asking though, I appreciate it.
These posts seem not to line up.

Calling it a Jesse Smolett situation is accusing Wallace of lying. Where do you seem him lying to mislead people.
Old 06-24-2020, 11:55 AM   #3369
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RatherDashing View Post
The rope wasn't tied with a simple loop at the end of it, somebody went out of their way to tie it as a noose.
Call it a noose, or a hangman's knot, or whatever you like, but it's clear that it wasn't some message aimed at Bubba Wallace, because it was tied that way many months before he was even there using the garage. It's weird that it wasn't initially reported that it was the garage pull that was tied that way, rather than just a rope placed in the garage.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
Old 06-24-2020, 11:55 AM   #3370
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

It's outrage culture. People now aren't happy unless they have something to be outraged about. Some people are very likely disappointed with this development because they wanted to have someone tarred and feathered.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2020, 11:55 AM   #3371
FunkMasterFlame
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:

There are many different names, but it was a 2" Loop/Scaffold/Bimini Twist knot attached to a garage pull, not a noose. There was also one of them on every garage door, not just this one.

The demand for racism right now is far outpacing supply so people are looking for it where it doesn't exist.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to FunkMasterFlame For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2020, 11:57 AM   #3372
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:

Serious questions: why are you pushing this as a Smollett-level hoax and why can’t you bring yourself to call it a noose?

Wallace didn’t even see it in person, but his pit crew, NASCAR, and the FBI have said it was a noose. All he’s saying now is that it was, in fact, a noose, like pretty much everyone who has seen it in person agrees it was, and now he’s like Smollett? Why?

Why are you trying to trash the character of someone for using calling a type of knot the type of knot that it is? That’s insane.

Dude is pissed, rightfully, because jokers are questioning his character and trying to say the noose isn’t a noose, because it’s a garage pull, when the entire strangeness of this is based on the fact that some weirdo tied a noose for a garage pull.

It’s great it’s not a hate crime. Why are you so desperate to make Wallace look like a bad guy here? What’s behind that?
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2020, 11:57 AM   #3373
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
These posts seem not to line up.

Calling it a Jesse Smolett situation is accusing Wallace of lying. Where do you seem him lying to mislead people.
Text doesn't convey emotion well
Old 06-24-2020, 11:59 AM   #3374
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkMasterFlame View Post
There are many different names, but it was a 2" Loop/Scaffold/Bimini Twist knot attached to a garage pull, not a noose. There was also one of them on every garage door, not just this one.

The demand for racism right now is far outpacing supply so people are looking for it where it doesn't exist.

Not true.
https://www.espn.com/racing/nascar/s...w-fbi-findings

Quote:
Yes. NASCAR officials and FBI investigators have not disputed that. Rope pulldowns are installed on the roller doors in every bay of the Talladega Superspeedway garage. According to NASCAR, every one of those pulldowns was checked as part of the FBI investigation, and the only one of those fashioned into a noose was the rope in garage No. 4, which was assigned to the Richard Petty Motorsports No. 43 Chevy this past weekend.
Old 06-24-2020, 11:59 AM   #3375
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkMasterFlame View Post

Perhaps the more important takeaway is that the first thought of a black man in Nascar, who has presumably been the target of racism in the past, is that his default reaction is to assume it is a noose targeted at him. His life experience has led him to that conclusion, almost on instinct. To me that's the sad part.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2020, 12:00 PM   #3376
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Can you be specific about how a garage door pulley can be "directed" at someone?

edit:
Well now you're just trolling.

Clearly if someone broke into the garage and tied a noose (which is what was originally thought) it would be directed at him.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hockeyguy15 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2020, 12:03 PM   #3377
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
It's outrage culture. People now aren't happy unless they have something to be outraged about. Some people are very likely disappointed with this development because they wanted to have someone tarred and feathered.
Which is, conveniently, exactly what White Out is guilty of here. People are now trying to tar and feather Wallace for this, which is pretty telling.

People act like outrage culture is beyond them and that by mentioning it, they’re not part of it. But that pendulum swings both ways pretty easily. I don’t know many people who can say with all honesty they haven’t enjoyed leaning in to a bit of outrage. Plenty of posters here from across the board guilty of it.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2020, 12:03 PM   #3378
Plett25
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
To stop calling it a noose? It's a ####ing garage door pulley. By insisting it's a noose, which has very specific negative connotations, he's egging on idiots like Al Sharpton to push this narrative.

This is like the Oakland rope but even dumber, if possible.
So, a black guy in Alabama, participating in an overwhelmingly white sport, during a time of racial unrest, finds what appears to be a noose, and he should just let it go?

Fair enough, I guess.

But a hockey fan in Canada is rightfully angry that someone miscapitalized his username in a way that makes him feel singled out.

Quote:
You've twice now mentioned my username in a way that playfully highlights the word white, like it's a racial declaration. Knock it off.
That doesn't seem consistent.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Plett25 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2020, 12:04 PM   #3379
RatherDashing
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Call it a noose, or a hangman's knot, or whatever you like, but it's clear that it wasn't some message aimed at Bubba Wallace, because it was tied that way many months before he was even there using the garage. It's weird that it wasn't initially reported that it was the garage pull that was tied that way, rather than just a rope placed in the garage.
Yes, it's clear that it wasn't done as an attack on Wallace. It's the people attacking Wallace after the fact that are the problem. The whole issue seems like it was dealt with pretty appropriately.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to RatherDashing For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2020, 12:08 PM   #3380
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I am heartened to know it wasn't a hate crime.

I was disappointed because I knew some people would react like you and say it was all a lie and compare it to Jesse Smollett. So really just disappointed in people's inability to react sensibly to situations.
Closed Thread