Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-26-2019, 04:54 PM   #1241
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlpineOracle View Post
Killing the ratio is the answer.
I think the two biggest contributors are (i) the best players going to the NFL, and (ii) injuries, especially to star players.

I think this past year was unprecedented for players signing NFL contracts. Surprisingly, it wasn't the AAF that was the culprit; instead, I think players in the CFL are getting longer looks at NFL camps because the players are able to compete on the same level. Take away 5-10 quality players in a 9 league team and it's not surprising that the quality of play has dropped. In previous years it might only be 1-2 players per year.

Also, we're seeing star players (especially starting quarterbacks) dropping like flies this year. Gone are the days of Burris, Ray, Calvillo (and before them, Flutie, Garcia, McManus, Allen, etc) playing the entire season and not getting hurt. Maybe a sign of OL depth getting too weak?

I also have to agree that the quality of Canadian talent has dropped in recent years -- the CFL draft has yielded a lot of "meh" in my opinion. I think this has had less of an impact on the overall quality of the game though, and I don't think it's enough of a reason to get rid of the ratio entirely.
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tvp2003 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2019, 05:00 PM   #1242
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

If you want to keep Canadian players in the league have them not count against the cap while killing the ratio. That way a team will always have a couple and there will be always opportunity but they aren’t forced to dress guys that have no business on a professional field.

Not sure why killing the ratio would end CIS football? Quite frankly any player who plays for a CIS program with the main goal of making a CFL career is as foolish as they come. You go there to get an education, not a chance at 50k a year for a couple years after university. This isn’t the NCAA. CIS Football won’t be around for much longer anyways regardless of the CFL. The feeder programs are all going to start to dry up with parents staying well clear of football.

Last edited by TheAlpineOracle; 08-26-2019 at 05:06 PM.
TheAlpineOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 05:12 PM   #1243
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post
I think the two biggest contributors are (i) the best players going to the NFL, and (ii) injuries, especially to star players.

I think this past year was unprecedented for players signing NFL contracts. Surprisingly, it wasn't the AAF that was the culprit; instead, I think players in the CFL are getting longer looks at NFL camps because the players are able to compete on the same level. Take away 5-10 quality players in a 9 league team and it's not surprising that the quality of play has dropped. In previous years it might only be 1-2 players per year.

Also, we're seeing star players (especially starting quarterbacks) dropping like flies this year. Gone are the days of Burris, Ray, Calvillo (and before them, Flutie, Garcia, McManus, Allen, etc) playing the entire season and not getting hurt. Maybe a sign of OL depth getting too weak?

I also have to agree that the quality of Canadian talent has dropped in recent years -- the CFL draft has yielded a lot of "meh" in my opinion. I think this has had less of an impact on the overall quality of the game though, and I don't think it's enough of a reason to get rid of the ratio entirely.
A lot of the Canadians are at offensive line. Teams are paying them 150-200k in some cases where as they could probably get two American OL for the same price that are significantly better. While I agree with your points I think in a cap examples like the above effect the quality of the product just as much.
TheAlpineOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheAlpineOracle For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2019, 06:44 PM   #1244
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlpineOracle View Post
A lot of the Canadians are at offensive line. Teams are paying them 150-200k in some cases where as they could probably get two American OL for the same price that are significantly better. While I agree with your points I think in a cap examples like the above effect the quality of the product just as much.
This is the first year in some time the Stamps Canadian content is below average. The OL is in shambles and they no longer have the depth to counter injuries and the national receivers outside of Brescacin are terrible. You know when Huff starts having issues recruiting Canadians the cupboard is becoming bare.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 08:09 PM   #1245
Slanter
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bent Wookie View Post
Whatever caused this result? It's d-bol. You don't accidentally take d-bol. It's not in your Sunny D.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
How did he only get suspended 2 games? He tested positive (twice) for steroids!
Slanter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 08:05 AM   #1246
calf
broke the first rule

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slanter View Post
How did he only get suspended 2 games? He tested positive (twice) for steroids!
I think it's considered his first time, so under the CBA it's only 2 games
calf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 08:34 AM   #1247
Slanter
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calf View Post
I think it's considered his first time, so under the CBA it's only 2 games
Right, I guess the A & B samples are collected at the same time?

I guess I'm just surprised that the CBA rule only suspends a player for 2 games for steroids. When I first saw the media reports, and they listed the technical drug name, I thought it was one of those obscure supplements. But no, it's like full-blown, body-builder steroid.

Seems like a light punishment to me.
Slanter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 08:51 AM   #1248
calf
broke the first rule

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slanter View Post
Right, I guess the A & B samples are collected at the same time?

I guess I'm just surprised that the CBA rule only suspends a player for 2 games for steroids. When I first saw the media reports, and they listed the technical drug name, I thought it was one of those obscure supplements. But no, it's like full-blown, body-builder steroid.

Seems like a light punishment to me.
That's my understanding on A&B samples based on a Netflix documentary I watched once, but I very well could be wrong.

Completely agreed on it being a light punishment. Part of me thinks if someone comes out with the "tainted supplements" excuse again, their punishment should double...no one buys it.
calf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calf For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2019, 12:08 PM   #1249
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's a black market steroid so for it to get into his supplement he would have to be obtaining them from a shady supplier and if that's the case (highly doubtful) then it's still on him for dealing with a supplier involved in supplying that type of supplement.
Old 08-28-2019, 09:46 AM   #1250
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bombers release Chris Matthews. He was injured a lot and when he did play was very ineffective. Dropping passes, not looking very quick.

Darvin Adams is back for LDC, made him expendable. Bob Irving suggested it was a pure football move and not salary related.

Will be nice to see what a fully healthy Bombers team can do down the stretch with Adams and Nichols back on O.
White Out 403 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 10:11 AM   #1251
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Stamps fans have been wondering for a few months now what a fully healthy Stamps teams could do with Bo, their starting offensive line, starting running backs, etc. It's been in shambles since game one really.
Old 08-28-2019, 10:18 AM   #1252
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Stamps fans have been wondering for a few months now what a fully healthy Stamps teams could do with Bo, their starting offensive line, starting running backs, etc. It's been in shambles since game one really.
Cool.
Old 08-28-2019, 12:34 PM   #1253
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Out 403 View Post
Will be nice to see what a fully healthy Bombers team can do down the stretch with Adams and Nichols back on O.
Cool.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 08-28-2019 at 12:36 PM.
Old 08-28-2019, 12:36 PM   #1254
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Cool.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1166757262146330631
dash_pinched is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dash_pinched For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2019, 12:38 PM   #1255
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Good to see at least one market selling out. It would be nice to see the Stamps get around 30k on Monday.
Old 08-28-2019, 01:11 PM   #1256
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Good to see at least one market selling out. It would be nice to see the Stamps get around 30k on Monday.
If they get over 28K, I think that's pretty good. The days of 30K+ are likely over save for playoff games, I think we have to be realistic and be happy with 23 to 25K for most home games.
Old 08-28-2019, 01:11 PM   #1257
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Cool.
I mean, it was related directly to the news story about CM being released, because Darvin Adams is returning to the line up. Adams made him expendable.
Old 08-28-2019, 01:36 PM   #1258
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bo is at practice today, but is not participating. Danny Austin is also tweeting the following:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1166764437602070528
The Following User Says Thank You to dash_pinched For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2019, 01:44 PM   #1259
CofR
Olympic Guru

Exp:

I am so excited for Labour Day... one of my favourite days of the year. This week needs to go by faster
CofR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CofR For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2019, 01:51 PM   #1260
Bent Wookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Out 403 View Post
Bombers release Chris Matthews. He was injured a lot and when he did play was very ineffective. Dropping passes, not looking very quick.

Darvin Adams is back for LDC, made him expendable. Bob Irving suggested it was a pure football move and not salary related.

It'll be nice to see what a non-juiced Andrew Harris can do down the stretch.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post: