Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-23-2020, 05:38 PM   #21
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

What about Ireland? Let's just hook up with them.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2020, 05:42 PM   #22
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
That laughingstock is still the 2nd largest economy in all of Europe.

It’s a pretty big get.
yes but its an economy built on providing the EU with services, Financial in particular, the whole idea of Canzuk is to replicate the UK's access to Europe in Canada, frankly Canada is the real prize for the UK, and that would be at the expense of the Canadian economy as without transfer payments back allowing offshore service access is insane
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2020, 05:57 PM   #23
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is something that I do not know about. What transfer payments do we currently have from the UK?
Old 09-23-2020, 06:05 PM   #24
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
This is something that I do not know about. What transfer payments do we currently have from the UK?
None, as we don't let those lazy scrounging binge drinking Brits come over 'ere and take our jobs, well except for me and I am so very very grateful you tolerate me
The Following User Says Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2020, 06:46 PM   #25
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

If this ever happens and free moment is a part of it, I'll be looking for a job in New Zealand immediately
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2020, 08:03 PM   #26
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Hard pass.

Years ago I was a member of a forum where this CANZUK idea was heavily promulgated. Frankly its ardent supporters were British monarchists, neoliberals and other conservatives who pined for some ridiculous Edwardian idea of a federated "White Commonwealth". They were under a blithely ignorant and delusional impression that we were still just "the colonies", waiting on bated breath to reunite with mother Britannia.

Problems arose pretty quickly when differences were discussed. Lots of talk about how aberrations such as Canada not being "tea drinkers", not playing "footy" and cricket, etc. would eventually be... corrected. They had no answers to broad questions like "what about Quebec?" or "what about indigenous peoples?"

Eventually one of these bozos told me that the 'Britishness' of Canada was innate and we all—I'll never forget this—"enjoy a cuppa and Corrie". He thought I was joking when I asked him to translate WTF "cuppa and Corrie" meant. "Cuppa" = "cup of" tea, "Corrie" = the soap opera Coronation Street, for those like me who hadn't the faintest idea. The only people I ever knew who drank tea with any regularity and watched Coronation Street were doddering old farts like my grandparents...
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to timun For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2020, 08:04 PM   #27
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

I would love freedom of movement, and I bet so would many Brits, Kiwis, and Aussies.

But there's a few issues. First - we're at or approaching a possible point of divergence with regards to UBI. I think we'd need to resolve that issue first, because we may not be able to resolve it together.

Also I'm surprised Kiwis support it so much - they seem to be doing very well on their own and could easily lose their distinctiveness in a political union that includes free movement.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 08:04 PM   #28
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

EU makes sense as a union due to the close proximity, shared borders and integrated economies. There are heaps of benefits just based on geography alone.

Here, you're taking 4 countries, spread halfway across the world (and then some) and trying to do the same thing. You're literally taking on all of the negatives (bureaucracy, administration, etc), with very few of the inherent positives that come with the EU situation. If the EU didn't work for the UK, this abortion certainly wont.
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 08:10 PM   #29
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Swap the UK for somewhere like The Bahamas and we got a deal.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 08:21 PM   #30
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Will the UK sell us 3 more subs for a discount? I don't think we need an alliance for that.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 08:23 PM   #31
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Could possibly entice Turks and Caicos to join.
Old 09-23-2020, 08:38 PM   #32
Magnum PEI
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I don't want anything to do with Bongland. The aussies and kiwies are cool though.
Magnum PEI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 08:47 PM   #33
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

This idea makes no practical sense at all for the reasons already mentioned.

I know this is a tangent, but if anything, we should remove the queen as the head of state and become a parliamentary democracy with an elected president as head of state.

Barbados is on the verge of dumping her and declaring a republic. Jamaica is starting the process as well. Australia has been talking about it for years.

Closer ties with no practical application is pointless.

Last edited by FlamesAddiction; 09-23-2020 at 09:15 PM.
FlamesAddiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 09:12 PM   #34
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timun View Post
Hard pass.

Years ago I was a member of a forum where this CANZUK idea was heavily promulgated. Frankly its ardent supporters were British monarchists, neoliberals and other conservatives who pined for some ridiculous Edwardian idea of a federated "White Commonwealth". They were under a blithely ignorant and delusional impression that we were still just "the colonies", waiting on bated breath to reunite with mother Britannia.

Problems arose pretty quickly when differences were discussed. Lots of talk about how aberrations such as Canada not being "tea drinkers", not playing "footy" and cricket, etc. would eventually be... corrected. They had no answers to broad questions like "what about Quebec?" or "what about indigenous peoples?"

Eventually one of these bozos told me that the 'Britishness' of Canada was innate and we all—I'll never forget this—"enjoy a cuppa and Corrie". He thought I was joking when I asked him to translate WTF "cuppa and Corrie" meant. "Cuppa" = "cup of" tea, "Corrie" = the soap opera Coronation Street, for those like me who hadn't the faintest idea. The only people I ever knew who drank tea with any regularity and watched Coronation Street were doddering old farts like my grandparents...

I can’t tell is this is a joke or not. CBL is that you?
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 09:38 PM   #35
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
I know this is a tangent, but if anything, we should remove the queen as the head of state and become a parliamentary democracy with an elected president as head of state.
Unless we're going to expand the role of the governor general, there's no need for a presidential election, even if we are to become a republic.
Old 09-23-2020, 10:16 PM   #36
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebC View Post
Unless we're going to expand the role of the governor general, there's no need for a presidential election, even if we are to become a republic.
I mean a parliamentary democracy, similar to what Portugal has. Going full republic would probably be too costly, even though I think it is a better structure.

The role of the GG would be retired as the President in a parliamentary democracy takes on that role as the executive Head of State and Commander in Chief. The President, who actually isn't a member of a party, also appoints the Prime Minister and cabinet positions based on election results and qualifications. I think having an actual Head of State to manage the government is more effective than having a figure head that lets the parties run the show. The Prime Minister would still be the government leader.

A presidential election also helps reconcile the discrepancy between popular vote and election results. He or she would also be the main person that liaises with other foreign leaders and promotes our interests abroad. They are essentially the face of the nation.

Last edited by FlamesAddiction; 09-23-2020 at 11:11 PM.
FlamesAddiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 10:34 PM   #37
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Someone is pining for the days of Empire. I’m surprised Ceylon and Zanzibar didn’t make the list.
Old 09-23-2020, 10:58 PM   #38
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
I can’t tell is this is a joke or not. CBL is that you?

1) What makes you think I'm joking?

2) Who's CBL?
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 11:03 PM   #39
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post
Someone is pining for the days of Empire. I’m surprised Ceylon and Zanzibar didn’t make the list.
You're surprised a pair of countries full of brown skinned people wasnt welcomed by the brexit loving kippers!?!

you haven't been paying attention.
Old 09-23-2020, 11:08 PM   #40
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, but think of all those sweet spices!