Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-24-2020, 09:32 AM   #521
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
When I rented one a few years ago, all these things were true. Yet, it had a certain charm, and by the end of the rental I actually ended up liking it for what it was.

It's definitely going to be a totally different experience from an X5. Most of it bad. But the few good elements may really hook you.
When you rented it were you on holiday? Their vibe works great if you're just ripping around in vacation mode, but as soon as you need it to commute, or run up to Edmonton, or just drive around the city they become unbearable.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2020, 10:09 AM   #522
you&me
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
When you rented it were you on holiday? Their vibe works great if you're just ripping around in vacation mode, but as soon as you need it to commute, or run up to Edmonton, or just drive around the city they become unbearable.
I don't even get that. We rented one in Hawaii a few years ago, thinking the same thing - it'll be fun to bum around in a Jeep, take the Road to Hana, etc... What a piece of ####. We ended up mostly parking the Jeep and carpooling with another couple.
you&me is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to you&me For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2020, 10:11 AM   #523
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Jeeps are horrible. We ended up with a Wrangler as a loaner once. Nothing about it was good. Road noise was bad, doors were stiff, gas mileage was crap. It wasn’t even very roomy. Do people buy these based on the look or what?
What do you mean nothing about it was good? You just described the perks of owning a Jeep.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2020, 10:23 AM   #524
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

I liked the refresh Jeep we rented a couple years ago. I think the older JKs were a pile of garbage, especially before the pentastar when they put the tired minivan motor in them after the 4.0 died out.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to burn_this_city For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2020, 11:06 AM   #525
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
That can't be what the real thing will look like. Looks like something I would do in Photoshop for a laugh.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 11:08 AM   #526
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's just designers screwing around, but the fact that they put this image out there with their name on it, and proudly, really shows how far they have departed from reality. Maybe to much time in isolation?
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 11:21 AM   #527
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Yeah it was, and I agree it makes a much better fun/occasional vehicle than something one would use daily. Having said that it does depend on the generation. The current JL is considerably more compliant and livable on the road compared to the JK or previous generations. I've test-driven quite a few combinations now, and some of them (like the Turbo) were actually quite fun around the city, and I could see it being a relatively competent daily. Compared to the Gladiator (or even a Tacoma, which I find really sluggish), the JL isn't too bad.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 12:28 PM   #528
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Bought FRAM air filter from Walmart, said $19 at til, but showed them their online was $11 so got that. Burns me britches that garages charge ~$100 for supply and install. My one car took me maybe 20-25mins to change both engine and cabin air filters, and that included Youtubing each installation video and wondering why it was so easy (except the Nissan truck which is ridiculous for changing cabin air filter).
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 12:51 PM   #529
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Keep in mind, a garage is paying for a lot more than a filter and some oil. Like everything else, they have a right to make money and the overhead for a shop is through the roof.
Old 09-24-2020, 12:57 PM   #530
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81MC View Post
Keep in mind, a garage is paying for a lot more than a filter and some oil. Like everything else, they have a right to make money and the overhead for a shop is through the roof.
It's an air filter though. We used to do them for free, becuase it took 2 minutes and we made money on the part. Plus, you know, good will from customers. But ya, occasionally you get a really annoying one.

Air filters, headlights, windshield wipers, fluids, all were complimentary install.
Old 09-24-2020, 01:37 PM   #531
CrunchBite
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
I liked the refresh Jeep we rented a couple years ago. I think the older JKs were a pile of garbage, especially before the pentastar when they put the tired minivan motor in them after the 4.0 died out.
The new JL is much better than my old JK. As someone who loves his Jeep, I feel they're only good if you use them for what they're good at, convertible, having the doors off, going off-road. Otherwise there are many better choices if you just want a SUV.
CrunchBite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 01:59 PM   #532
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thanks for the Jeep feedback guys.

I test drove a Wrangler Sierra - which is more urban than the Rubicon re tires etc. I am looking for something unique to replace the old X5 without spending north of $100k. Looked at the brand new Land Rover Defender, interesting design, but expensive. And the new 90 version (2 door) for release next year will be priced higher than the 4 door!

So back to the Jeep. Had it out on the highway. Ride was better than I thought, but yup its loud. And not surprisingly, there was a wind leak and rattle from the hard top on the driver side. Maybe they can tinker with that. I have also heard you can get roof panels installed which quiet things a bit and help with heating in the winter and cooling in the summer.

So not sure. $60ish seems expensive for a "toy"...
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 02:37 PM   #533
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Man, I'd wait for the bronco if you have the time. Isn't that coming early next year?
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2020, 02:46 PM   #534
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

All the domestic SUVs are ridiculously overpriced these days. $60k+ for a spartan heep, bronco, or whatever else. Yukons or Tahoe are $75-100k now..
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 02:47 PM   #535
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

A first-year Ford is a risky proposition, but that Bronco looks like it will be pretty great competition for the Wrangler.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2020, 02:54 PM   #536
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
All the domestic SUVs are ridiculously overpriced these days. $60k+ for a spartan heep, bronco, or whatever else. Yukons or Tahoe are $75-100k now..
Yeah it's getting a little bit out of control even after typical domestic rebates as their pricing is getting dangerously close to German luxury territory. Paying $58k for an a Platinum Explorer is throwing away money.
Old 09-24-2020, 02:55 PM   #537
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
A first-year Ford is a risky proposition, but that Bronco looks like it will be pretty great competition for the Wrangler.
Yep. I realize buyers lack patience but most will be rewarded for waiting for the 3rd year of these vehicles. Even that's no guarantee Ford will fix all the issues as I know this well from my Mustang days. I really do like what they have done with the Bronco but wouldn't touch a first year model.
Old 09-24-2020, 02:57 PM   #538
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Have you looked at the new Bronco? Not sure when they are available, but it looks to be a far more comfortable vehicle than the Jeep. Plus it looks hawt.
Old 09-24-2020, 03:01 PM   #539
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Hate-Hulse View Post
A pic of said new Z Prototype:

That is beautiful - much cleaner. This car looks like a descendant of the 240Z now.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 03:09 PM   #540
you&me
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
That is beautiful - much cleaner. This car looks like a descendant of the 240Z now.
I hadn't yet seen anyone describe the new Z as "beautiful"... Though it is impressive that you're able to navigate an online forum while being blind
you&me is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to you&me For This Useful Post: