Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 07-23-2020, 02:05 PM   #4161
Timbo
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post

I promise you, if you ever spoke to me face to face the way you are here, it would incite a violent response where you would pray for police to come and save you.
Username checks out.
Old 07-23-2020, 02:24 PM   #4162
DionTheDman
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
I promise you, if you ever spoke to me face to face the way you are here, it would incite a violent response where you would pray for police to come and save you.
Old 07-23-2020, 02:26 PM   #4163
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I promise you, if you ever spoke to me face to face the way you are here, it would incite a violent response where you would pray for police to come and save you. This isnt a IRL behavior your conducting yourself in.
Lol. Did you not just nearly excuse a cop smashing a person's head in the concrete because the person was 'violent' prior? By your logic, cops should now smash your head in and you'll call it a "grey area".

Or maybe, just maybe, cops should be able to stay professional even when dealing with jackasses. And when they don't, when they feel the need to escalate a situation for no reason, they should be condemned, fired and charged. It's not the actions of the victim, it's the actions of the cop. There was no reason for him to escalate it, even if the guy was threatening before. We have video, the guy at worst didn't put his hands behind his back within 20 seconds of the cop approaching him. He didn't throw a punch, he didn't try to run, he's literally not moving when the officer decides to throw him to the ground. And now he's knocked out cold bleeding from the head, and we need to debate if that was the proper response?

Last edited by Oling_Roachinen; 07-23-2020 at 02:41 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Oling_Roachinen For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2020, 02:37 PM   #4164
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Quote:
nah, you're part of problem. I did nothing to anyone but post a thought on the subject. You're the attacker here and as such have no weight on any opinion here. This is the sad thing.

How it is allowed for such aggressive terminology that you get away with is beyond me. You try to play smart but this irrational hatred you keep posting on and blindly attacking even the slightest difference of opinion say a lot more about you than it does anybody else.

I promise you, if you ever spoke to me face to face the way you are here, it would incite a violent response where you would pray for police to come and save you. This isnt a IRL behavior your conducting yourself in.

So step off the gaslighting pedestal and calm yourself.
Lol, guy, c'mon.

Also: *you're
Old 07-23-2020, 02:43 PM   #4165
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
Lol. Did you not just nearly excuse a cop smashing a person's head in the concrete because the person was 'threatening' prior? By your logic, cops should now smash your head in and you'll call it a "grey area".

Or maybe, just maybe, cops should be able to stay professional even when dealing with jackasses. And when they don't, when they feel the need to escalate a situation for no reason, they should be condemned, fired and charged.
I didn't excuse anyone, nor "nearly". You're Gaslighting again there sport. And he didn't only threaten, he actually assaulted people, but that doesn't fit your irrational hate so you keep missing it.

Point being, it could have been done better. Pretty certain I said that. But that also doesn't fit your "EFF ALL THUG PIGS " narrative either.

But whatever, you're the one making enemies for no reason.
Old 07-23-2020, 02:47 PM   #4166
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Here's the thing, even if the officer received a report that the accused was drunk and violent. That alone is not enough to go to force.

The officer needs to (or should need to) see for himself that the accused is that way. When the officer arrived on the scene he did not appear to be violent, nor show any violent tendencies during the brief interaction.

Otherwise, I could call the cops on the neighbours kids, say they were violent and the police would have carte blanche to throw down. That's not right.

Deescalate the situation, and get the facts. That's his job. Only if he is unable to deescalate the accused should he move to force.

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Maritime Q-Scout For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2020, 02:49 PM   #4167
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Saying that it's "very grey", instead of clear police brutality, is excusing it. Don't think that's a stretch to say.

You can condemn the actions of the drunk individual and we will support you. But they have no bearing when he's standing still and talking. He wasn't violent when the cop approached, he wasn't shown to be any sort of threat when the officer grabs him, he's literally doing nothing when he is smashed into the ground by the pig. This could have been solved with probably 10 seconds of discussion, instead this thug decided to knock an old, alcoholic man into the sidewalk. All within 30 seconds of getting out of his car.

It's fortunate that the man is apparently just having problems remembering that day and not in the hospital or worse.

And yes, eff all thug pigs. I mean obviously?
The Following User Says Thank You to Oling_Roachinen For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2020, 03:00 PM   #4168
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Saying that it's "very grey", instead of clear police brutality, is excusing it. Don't think that's a stretch to say.

You can condemn the actions of the drunk individual and we will support you. But they have no bearing when he's standing still and talking. He wasn't violent when the cop approached, he wasn't shown to be any sort of threat when the officer grabs him, he's literally doing nothing when he is smashed into the ground by the pig. This could have been solved with probably 10 seconds of discussion, instead this thug decided to knock an old, alcoholic man into the sidewalk. All within 30 seconds of getting out of his car.

It's fortunate that the man is apparently just having problems remembering that day and not in the hospital or worse.

And yes, eff all thug pigs. I mean obviously?
Re read the first sentence of the original post you're attacking again. Very carefully. I didnt say the situation was a grey area did I. I said the context put my thoughts into a grey area. But whatever, spin away.you frothing rabid dog you. Its what you do best to crow at whoever isn't is as angry as you.

Last edited by dammage79; 07-23-2020 at 03:13 PM.
Old 07-23-2020, 03:20 PM   #4169
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

So you agree it's police brutality? If so, then who cares about anything else. Condemn the thug, hope he's fired and charged. Anything less for police brutality is, I believe, contributing to the problem. You can't have police out there abusing civilians, and you can't have civilians supporting that.

So I'm not sure where the 'very grey' area is if you believe it's police brutality. Unless you think the victim "deserved it", in which case I think that's worse than not recognizing that this was police brutality, it's ####ting on the judicial system in favour of vigilante justice.

There's no reason to bring up "self-defense" or "kiddie gloves" (I mean I feel like there's somewhere between treating with kiddie gloves and bleeding on the concrete but that's just me). All that is, is excusing the actions of this thug without you admitting to it.

If you don't agree it's police brutality, well then I think you need to explain further.
Old 07-23-2020, 03:20 PM   #4170
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

fight! fight! fight! fight!
The Following User Says Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2020, 03:22 PM   #4171
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

We have at least a couple RCMP/Police officers on CP. I am not going to call them out by username, as that is their prerogative if they want to discuss, I am wondering what their thoughts on what have been happening lately are.
Old 07-23-2020, 03:30 PM   #4172
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
So you agree it's police brutality? If so, then who cares about anything else. Condemn the thug, hope he's fired and charged. Anything less for police brutality is, I believe, contributing to the problem. You can't have police out there abusing civilians, and you can't have civilians supporting that.

So I'm not sure where the 'very grey' area is if you believe it's police brutality. Unless you think the victim "deserved it", in which case I think that's worse than not recognizing that this was police brutality, it's ####ting on the judicial system in favour of vigilante justice.

There's no reason to bring up "self-defense" or "kiddie gloves" (I mean I feel like there's somewhere between treating with kiddie gloves and bleeding on the concrete but that's just me). All that is, is excusing the actions of this thug without you admitting to it.

If you don't agree it's police brutality, well then I think you need to explain further.
Wheee, spinning things is fun! You must be enjoying yourself casting judgment like you are.
The Following User Says Thank You to dammage79 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2020, 03:35 PM   #4173
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm just asking dude. You can't go and say it's "very grey" for you and then get mad when asked to explain. Like why is it grey for you?

Do you not believe it was police brutality? Watch the video from 1:30-1:40. The victim stands there completely still. At worst passively resisting (not putting his hands behind his back if that was the command) but literally not moving. He's dropped onto the concrete where he bleeds from his head. Where is the very grey for you? Did you accidentally just watch the video in monochrome? lol.

Honestly believe this is a case of wanting your cake and eating it to. But you can't have it both ways, either you believe this was police brutality and you shouldn't be defending it, or you don't and you should be able to explain why.
Old 07-23-2020, 03:38 PM   #4174
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

And not that it matters, I think it was a very poorly executed take down. Something better training and better systems can eradicate. And something that should not have happened if he had waited for secondary support that arrived literally seconds later. (Which has been gleefully.omitted from my original testimony since I am now being aggressively judged in the Oling Roachinen peoples court)

I'm not biting on anything else because I am not anti police like our hero Oling is. Things need to be better. On both sides. Being a rabid blind hater does nothing.
Old 07-23-2020, 03:43 PM   #4175
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
And not that it matters, I think it was a very poorly executed take down. Something better training and better systems can eradicate. And something that should not have happened if he had waited for secondary support that arrived literally seconds later. (Which has been gleefully.omitted from my original testimony since I am now being aggressively judged in the Oling Roachinen peoples court)

I'm not biting on anything else because I am not anti police like our hero Oling is. Things need to be better. On both sides. Being a rabid blind hater does nothing.
What are the both sides? One where police violently brutalize citizens and the other where people relentlessly hate on the police? I'm not sure these should be considered equal. Sure, neither is good, but this isn't a "both sides" thing in my eyes.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2020, 03:46 PM   #4176
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've seen cops do that a few times but it's usually with guys who are still trying to fight someone; not against someone just standing there. I don't think there was anything wrong with his technique. His judgment was way off but outside of the last few months of context, I doubt a single superior officer would bat an eyelash at what he did.
Old 07-23-2020, 03:46 PM   #4177
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

I feel like viewing a video of the entire interaction between the victim and the cop precludes me from being a blind hater. It's the actions that make me 'hate' the thug of a police officer. His impatience and willful intention to escalate a situation resulting in a person bleeding from his head for no reason, that's what makes me 'hate' him. And many more who have condemned the actions of the officer. Like a lot of people.

You closing your eyes and refusing to acknowledge this as police brutality is blind supporting. Like I said, and far more confident now, that's part of the problem.
Old 07-23-2020, 03:51 PM   #4178
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Do you think the officer waits 10 more seconds for his back-up to help restrain him in a safe manner if he knew he would be held accountable for his actions? Both by the department, union, courts and the public?

That's the thing. If you let it known that police can't escalate to dangerous situations for no reason, that they won't be blindly supported, then they will have the "patience" next time to try and de-escalate like they should do. But if they get a free pass because the guy was drunk, what changes are you going to see? None.
Old 07-23-2020, 03:56 PM   #4179
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Keep going Oling, you've almost convicted me of a social crime I didn't commit. You're almost there little buddy! I believe in you!
Old 07-23-2020, 04:06 PM   #4180
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
What are the both sides? One where police violently brutalize citizens and the other where people relentlessly hate on the police? I'm not sure these should be considered equal. Sure, neither is good, but this isn't a "both sides" thing in my eyes.
I think I've been extremely clear throughout this entire thread where I stand. I certainly do not deserve nor need to be berated by the likes of Oling on this subject.
Closed Thread