Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-26-2016, 03:52 PM   #1001
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
Wizards Castle! And the one in TD Square (the Core) was amazing as well.

Anyone remember Laser Illusions?

There was one at the intersection of Bonaventure Dr and 94 Ave, which we went to from LBHS.

I don't recall the Wizzard's Sleeve.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2016, 04:22 PM   #1002
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

There were a few good arcades along Stephen Avenue back in the early 80's when I spent a couple of summers here. Loved going there on my days off from my summer job, and also the local 7-11 to play whatever game they happened to have. Dig Dug was my favorite, Defender was a close second.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 04:22 PM   #1003
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wizards (Chinook Mall)

Illusions (8th Ave Mall)

Three Ring Circus (8th Ave Mall)

Southern Fun (drug-ring front on 7th Ave)

Illusions blew everything else in the city out of the water when it opened. The number of machines. The two-level layout. The high-tech atmosphere. No longer were arcades just places where dudes with no shirt played Joust and sold hash.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 05:00 PM   #1004
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Man...I miss old school car meets at Willy's by 39th and BS corner.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2016, 05:31 PM   #1005
psyang
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Ok, was able to dig this old episode of That's Incredible featuring Calgary's own Darren Olson in an arcade competition. This guy was a legend around town. Had all the high scores, and I think he worked at Wizard's Castle in Market Mall. This was a big deal in our household as Darren had gone to high school with my brother. I won't spoil the ending, but watching it again after 30 years brought back tons of nostalgia. I still remember the excitement I felt at seeing these new arcade games for the first time, and how great the contestants all were at playing them. Also, That's Incredible was a great show.

psyang is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to psyang For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2016, 06:02 PM   #1006
Ironhorse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Man...I miss old school car meets at Willy's by 39th and BS corner.

They have a pretty good meet going at the Glendeer A&W on most nice Friday evenings these days. Classics, street rods, muscle cars, you name it. Usually starts around 5-ish, they take over most of the lot.
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 06:05 PM   #1007
JiriHrdina
I believe in the Pony Power

Exp:

Southern Fun was awesome
I'd take the number 3 downtown from beddington and spend the afternoon there
That place had a crazy atmosphere but had the most pin machines in town
JiriHrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 06:43 PM   #1008
RougeUnderoos
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Wizards (Chinook Mall)

Illusions (8th Ave Mall)

Three Ring Circus (8th Ave Mall)

Southern Fun (drug-ring front on 7th Ave)

Illusions blew everything else in the city out of the water when it opened. The number of machines. The two-level layout. The high-tech atmosphere. No longer were arcades just places where dudes with no shirt played Joust and sold hash.
Sigh. And they called this progress.

Where was Illusions?

I was just going to say that they had an arcade like that in the "new part" of Southcentre, but the new part was built 30 years ago and I need a nap.

RougeUnderoos is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RougeUnderoos For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2016, 06:49 PM   #1009
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Laser Illusions was in Southcenter, bottom of the stairs by the South entrance.
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 08:30 PM   #1010
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RougeUnderoos View Post
Sigh. And they called this progress.

Where was Illusions?
Illusions was on 8th ave across the street from Three Ring Circus. Where the McDonald's is now.

8th Ave Mall was a lot cooler when it was full of arcades, head shops, and other places appealing to wayward teens. Three Ring Circus. Catch the Winds. Funky Punkers. Illusions. Charisma. Boodlum. The comic store at the West end of the mall.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 12:55 AM   #1011
snootchiebootchies
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I used to love going to The Attic on 8th Ave., back when it was across from The Bay. This was way before A&B Sound set up shop in the old Bank of Montreal building so I'm talking mid- to late-80s. I didn't have much money back then but I would scrape whatever money I had from my paper route or my job as a busboy and would buy something there (a cassette tape or a 12" or a t-shirt) at least a couple times a month. Now one can find whatever one wants online but back then, hunting for cool music or music paraphernalia (for a reasonable price) was so much fun.

There was also a Music World at the corner of 8th Ave. and 1st Street SW that had a really great collection of 12" and laser discs.

There was also a really cool record store on MacLeod Trail in the late-80s. It was located in the building where Blind Beggar Pub is located now. I only went there a few times as it was quite the trek for me from Castleridge on public transit but it had a wonderful selection of punk and indie (or college radio, as indie was called back then) music. I keep thinking it was called A&M Records but that can't be right and it must be my foggy memory conflating the name of the store with the record label but somehow, that's the only name I can come up with for that store.
snootchiebootchies is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to snootchiebootchies For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2016, 01:30 AM   #1012
DAN0383
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I miss the arcade in Northland mall. Skipping class at Brebeuf Jr high and playing vids, lol.
Old 09-27-2016, 02:46 AM   #1013
Roast Beef
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAN0383 View Post
I miss the arcade in Northland mall. Skipping class at Brebeuf Jr high and playing vids, lol.
I don't know when you went to Brebeuf, but that Elvis impersonator employed at the arcade back in 94-95 was a ######.
Roast Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Roast Beef For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2016, 02:57 AM   #1014
Roast Beef
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Mikes Billiards and Arcade. Near McKnight and Edmonton Trail. The Arcade across from the Palace. The Palace theater itself, saw so many movies there like Star Wars, Empire Strikes Back, Return of the Jedi, and the Wrath of Khan. The Corral 4 and the Sunset Drive-In's. Bullwinkles, Chuck E Cheese, Pondarosa where the A&W is now on McKnight and 4th. Pisces when it was a tiny shop. (you can now guess what area I lived in back in the 80's) The GUN shop that was changed to a UNG Video. Power Players on Center Street...so many memories...
Roast Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 03:20 AM   #1015
DAN0383
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roast Beef View Post
I don't know when you went to Brebeuf, but that Elvis impersonator employed at the arcade back in 94-95 was a ######.
Never saw that, it was 95-98.
Old 09-27-2016, 06:07 AM   #1016
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roast Beef View Post
Yeah I remember that guy. He was in a local band, too, but I can't remember which one.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 09:22 AM   #1017
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by snootchiebootchies View Post
I used to love going to The Attic on 8th Ave., back when it was across from The Bay. This was way before A&B Sound set up shop in the old Bank of Montreal building so I'm talking mid- to late-80s. I didn't have much money back then but I would scrape whatever money I had from my paper route or my job as a busboy and would buy something there (a cassette tape or a 12" or a t-shirt) at least a couple times a month. Now one can find whatever one wants online but back then, hunting for cool music or music paraphernalia (for a reasonable price) was so much fun.

There was also a Music World at the corner of 8th Ave. and 1st Street SW that had a really great collection of 12" and laser discs.

There was also a really cool record store on MacLeod Trail in the late-80s. It was located in the building where Blind Beggar Pub is located now. I only went there a few times as it was quite the trek for me from Castleridge on public transit but it had a wonderful selection of punk and indie (or college radio, as indie was called back then) music. I keep thinking it was called A&M Records but that can't be right and it must be my foggy memory conflating the name of the store with the record label but somehow, that's the only name I can come up with for that store.
Yeah, 8th Avenue was a great place to search for music. There was another cool shop east of 1st Street, around where the Winners is now. There was also another dirt arcade on that block, a little further east where Original Joe's and/or Kismet is now. It was easy to spend an afternoon down there, drifting from arcade to arcade, grabbing a bite to eat, flipping through record bins looking for that certain record. Fond memories.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 10:37 AM   #1018
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

I remember a when I was younger we had a family friend that worked at the Bulwinkles in what had to be the mid 80s. It was like winning the lottery as he dumped the tokens from a bucket into your hands.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 10:40 AM   #1019
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by snootchiebootchies View Post

That is interesting - I'd like to hear more from you in the music threads. Come on in.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 10:46 AM   #1020
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
Mitzi Dupree- The queen of ping pong

How a ping-pong ball act excited both Western Canadian bar patrons and the RCMP

http://www.calgarysun.com/2016/09/24...s-and-the-rcmp
Wow that brings back memories, I remember in the late 80's when there were peeler bars all up and down Macleod trail. I remember spending I think my 17th birthday at the one just off of 38th and Macleod and they had a live music bar next door (Franky and Johnny's I think).

While Mitzee was before my time, we had the legendary Candy Shaw and there was a stripper that bought a live tiger on the stage.

I also remember that one of the female managers from Stampede Wrestling was one of the talents.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
a ringa ding dong dandy , a simpler time