Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-30-2009, 10:38 PM   #21
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesFaninChina View Post
That was a rhetorical question obviously!

What's a rhetorical question?
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 10:38 PM   #22
evman150
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
Would have been a SHUTOUT if some people would have shut their yapper
Words typed on keyboards miles away cause goals at the Saddledome?

Wow! I wish I had that kind of magical power!

Boring game, but they got the job done. I hate the Preds, nice to sweep the season series from them.
"For thousands of years humans were oppressed - as some of us still are - by the notion that the universe is a marionette whose strings are pulled by a god or gods, unseen and inscrutable." - Carl Sagan
Freedom consonant with responsibility.

evman150 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to evman150 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2009, 10:39 PM   #23
HelloHockeyFans
n00b!

Exp:

Save of the season in the NHL for Kipper? I think so.
HelloHockeyFans is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HelloHockeyFans For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2009, 10:39 PM   #24
expatflame
Formerly FlamesFaninChina

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flameswin View Post
What's a rhetorical question?
Oh, that's an easy one. It's a....

Oh..wait...you...made a funny!
expatflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 10:40 PM   #25
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Old 01-30-2009, 10:40 PM   #26
Machiavelli
Franchise Player

Exp:

Dion Phaneuf scares me.
Old 01-30-2009, 10:40 PM   #27
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

That stick save needs to be youtubed asap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 10:40 PM   #28
enthused
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Kind of a boring game, but can't really complain when we're winning!
enthused is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 10:42 PM   #29
Nehkara
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloHockeyFans View Post
Save of the season in the NHL for Kipper? I think so.
Agreed. That was just amazing.

Also of note, since that fateful day (my birthday) November 13th, when the Flames were taken apart by the Sharks... the Flames are 21-6-3.

Huge thanks to Dion for the signature!
Nehkara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 10:42 PM   #30
wingmaker
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Nystrom, what a beauty set up on the GWG!
Harry, I'm gonna let you in on a little secret. Every day, once a day, give yourself a present. Don't plan it, don't wait for it, just... let it happen. Could be a new shirt at the men's store, a catnap in your office chair, or... two cups of good, hot, black coffee.
wingmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 10:42 PM   #31
HPLovecraft
Took an arrow to the knee

Exp:

Real lackluster showing by the Preds considering they are fighting for their playoff lives. Not much push by them at all.

Bertuzzi had a fantastic game, drew penalties, made good plays... It's unfortunate the way the defense broke down for that goal against, Kipprusoff deserved the shut out tonight. Not much negative to say except the one area they don't seem to really be improving in is the powerplay, and Iginla needs to SHOOT when he has the opportunity too.
Old 01-30-2009, 10:43 PM   #32
expatflame

Exp:

Oilers are hot on our tails with that win
Old 01-30-2009, 10:43 PM   #33
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Boring to watch but a solid win non the less.

Kipper with a monster save to preserve a 2-1 lead. Then his save Suter late in the game. We want 50! We want 50!
Old 01-30-2009, 10:44 PM   #34
zamler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nehkara View Post
Also of note, since that fateful day (my birthday) November 13th, when the Flames were taken apart by the Sharks... the Flames are 21-6-3.
Spectacular.

As optimistic a person as I am, I don't see how the Flames can continue a winning % like that. All the more important to make hay when the sun shines.

I like how the Flames played tonight, patient, nothing fancy. A few scary defensive breakdowns but overall I can't complain too much.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 10:45 PM   #35
Lanny'sDaMan
#1 Goaltender

Exp:
Default The Continued Domination of All

First Period
A quiet and disciplined period by the Flames. They played very well, but really seemed tentative for portions of that frame. They did carry the offensive play for the most part. No one really seemed to be hitting all that forcefully, almost as if no one wanted to be the one to make the first mistake. Solid as ever in the defensive zone, everyone had active sticks and played the back check very smartly. I can’t really say anything was bad, but it was unspectacular. I will admit though, that the Flames had a great many chances and Rinne was superb to keep the Flames off the goal sheet in the first.
The power play was actually quite good. Unfortunately so was the Predator penalty kill. The Flames had great possessions, passing quickly and getting numerous shots off. They also gained the zone well. My only problem with them in the first was one or two too many fancy-pants passes. More shots on net, especially in the second PP attempt would have been advisable, but then when isn’t it? The penalty kill units got the first period off, as the Flames were supremely disciplined and kept their feet moving, which of course drew the penalties. I would love to see more of that kind of play as the season progresses.
I am so happy with the entire team right now. The first period was wonderful for how every last player on the ice contributed in a very positive way. From the top line all the way down, everyone was making the smart decision, and playing with confidence. I will single out Bertuzzi and Iginla. They have both been absolutely on their respective games tonight. Bertuzzi more so, as he’s been involved in this game. I never thought I would utter the following words, but here goes. I love what Bertuzzi brings to this team. He’s been something special for us this season.

Second Period
A right solid period in which the Flames dictated the pace of play to a very large degree. The fore check was absolutely stunning. They were creating massive turnovers and as such a hefty number of chances came for the Flames. They really did very well in the neutral zone, and the Predators just couldn’t get anything really going. And the few times Nashville looked like they were about to build some steam up, Miikka was more than ready to deflate them again, and again.
The penalty kill had only one piece of work in the second, when a brainfart on the bench caused the Flames to have six attackers and get called for too many men. Conroy started it off in the pk with a pair of brilliant chances that came so very close to going in the net, and the rest of the team keyed off of him. Amazing hustle and smart smart plays were the hallmark of that penalty kill, and they were flawless. The power play only got twenty three seconds of time to work as the lone Nashville penalty came right at the end of the second.
Again no one was a passenger in that frame. I have to continue extolling Bertuzzi, who not only is making it happen with amazing offensive plays, but he laid Tootoo out with a perfect hit, and then beat him down directly after. Great physicality and emotion, finally! Nystrom also made a picture perfect play in getting the puck around the defenders and to Roy for the second Flames goal. And of course Glencross with the seeing eye pass to Lombardi. Everyone is just playing so very well tonight. Miikka has been simply superb. Stellar. Stunning. I’m out of glowing “S” words for the perfection that has been Miikka. He bailed the Flames out in the early stages of the Second period and the rest of the team paid him back with a couple goals.

Third Period
Continued brilliant play by the Flames in the third. They out hustled and out worked the Predators. Solid sustained pressure and continued battles along the boards had the Flames putting dangerous shots on net constantly. The only blip was a bobbled puck by Miikka and the only goal by the Predators. And even that was once of those weird fluke things that rarely happen with Kipper. A near to perfect period all in all.
The power play had a large amount of work in the final frame, going to work five times as Nashville’s discipline left them completely. They were very good all chances, and cashed in on a five on three. Cammalleri placed the puck perfectly on Aucoin’s stick and he popped it into the back of the net. The penalty kill had a great amount of work in the third as well, and they were absolutely fantastic. Miikka in particular. He was the sole reason the Flames won this game after a couple of his more brilliant saves of the season.
Every line again was chugging right along and playing as if possessed. The third and fourth lines made a huge difference tonight. Nystrom continues his brilliant development, and Roy charging to the net got rewarded for it. Cammalleri was also very good tonight. Bertuzzi was leaps and bounds above his own bar as he again played a passion filled and strong physical game.

Overall Impressions
A very patient game that had the Flames really dictating the pace. Not once did this game feel as if the Flames weren’t in control, and they earned this win on the back of hard work. This is exactly the type of game we have come to expect, nay demand of the Flames. Now we are only five points back of Detroit and thirteen points up on the next challenger in our division. Beautiful!

Three Stars By Me
1. Eric Nystrom
2. Todd Bertuzzi
3. Miikka Kiprusoff
Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
Gio-Brodie is a top three defense pair in the world. Fullstop. Only other two on the same tier are Vlasic-Karlsson and Ekholm-Subban. Quote me on it.
Lanny'sDaMan is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Lanny'sDaMan For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2009, 10:45 PM   #36
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPLovecraft View Post
Bertuzzi had a fantastic game, drew penalties, made good plays....
and knocked Tootoo out of the game.

Bagor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 10:46 PM   #37
expatflame

Exp:

Quote:
Spectacular.

As optimistic a person as I am, I don't see how the Flames can continue a winning % like that. All the more important to make hay when the sun shines.

I like how the Flames played tonight, patient, nothing fancy. A few scary defensive breakdowns but overall I can't complain too much.
Why not? The Sharks did it and we beat them twice
Old 01-30-2009, 10:46 PM   #38
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

Quote:
Would have been a SHUTOUT if some people would have shut their yapper
Suuuuure.
Thor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 10:47 PM   #39
TheContact
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Conroy had some slick moves tonight. He seemed very comfortable out there.
TheContact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 10:48 PM   #40
iggy_oi
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think bertuzzi must have read those complaints about not playing with enough of an edge in that "bertuzzi rocks" thread...

http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=68825
iggy_oi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flames , post game , predators