Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-15-2022, 06:00 PM   #21
8 Ball
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhorse View Post
Following. I have a similar situation, where we are looking to stay in Puerto Vallarta for a week. Doesn’t have to be “all inclusive”, since we’re not big drinkers / lounge around the pool all day types. Probably at least half the time we’re off doing something. I’d need safe food on site or nearby though, since Mrs Ironhorse is also “on vacation”.
Mexican resorts imo cater to people who drink a lot while they are there. Leave the resort, and you will be relentlessly badgered for money. I would check out Cuba. Rich history, and really cool things to check out.
8 Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2022, 05:28 AM   #22
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8 Ball View Post
Mexican resorts imo cater to people who drink a lot while they are there. Leave the resort, and you will be relentlessly badgered for money. I would check out Cuba. Rich history, and really cool things to check out.
There’s so many types of resorts now that it’s hard to paint them all with the same brush.

You could do the Oasis Cancun or down the street is Le Blanc and your experiences are so different you wouldn’t even know you are in the same city.
Weitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2022, 09:55 AM   #23
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by redforever View Post
Have you considered a private house that you could book through something like VRBO. That is what my family always does.
Honesty we do something similar, or boutique hotel and actually engage with the towns every time we go somewhere.

But this trip is explicitly a bit of a break for mom, so no dishes to wash and nothing to plan or worry about. Just sort of looking for the prototypical ‘do nothing but relax’ trip.

Which sounds both very boring and very unrealistic with a one year old, but whatever.
Old 10-16-2022, 10:05 AM   #24
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81MC View Post
Honesty we do something similar, or boutique hotel and actually engage with the towns every time we go somewhere.

But this trip is explicitly a bit of a break for mom, so no dishes to wash and nothing to plan or worry about. Just sort of looking for the prototypical ‘do nothing but relax’ trip.

Which sounds both very boring and very unrealistic with a one year old, but whatever.
With a 1 year old you probably can’t ditch them at the kids clubs of most resorts. So if you are wanting that it would narrow down the number of resorts substantially.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2022, 10:31 AM   #25
puckedoff
First Line Centre

Exp:

If I am thinking of the right person, you have a young kid (~1yr or less old)?

We went to this place Hacienda Encantada when our kid was 6 months or so, it is by Cabo. Booked through selloffvacations so it was actually pretty cheap, and the flight is a couple hours shorter to the Cabo side than if you went to PV. It is outside of Cabo so it is quiet and nice there, and they have constant shuttles to town if you want to go during the day.

Doesn't have a huge sand beach front, that would probably be only knock against it.
puckedoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2022, 09:13 PM   #26
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8 Ball View Post
This is a common comparison.

I will say that I actually prefer Cuba.

I like the people and culture better, but it drawbacks. Its not really cheaper, and you get less for it.

The food will not be as good, unless you really go all out and love seafood, which I do.

Your hotel will be worse.

The current economic circumstances in Cuba suck. I was there at Christmas and while they wont badger you to sell their wares, they will badger you to exchange currency. Relentlessly.

Oh, and also try to sell you questionable cigars. We're Canadians, we can buy Cuban Cigars practically wherever we want. I've got a humidor packed with them.

Dont get me wrong, I'm not knocking it. The beaches are infinitely better, the experience is amazing, the people are fantastic, the service is great, there are no Americans (but a lot of Russians) and I really, really love Cuba.

But if you just want an easy, run-of-the-mill, easy access, relatively inexpensive, All-Inclusive vacation where you can do as much or as little as you want? Mexico is hard to beat.

Theres tons of options and you can hardly go wrong. Do a few minutes on Trip Advisor and you'll find something.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2022, 11:17 PM   #27
Flames_Gimp
Franchise Player

Exp:

iberostar paraiso maya resort was awesome great food great staff

https://www.iberostar.com/en-ca/hote...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

couple pics from my trip

Last edited by Flames_Gimp; 10-16-2022 at 11:22 PM.
Flames_Gimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2022, 11:45 AM   #28
Johnny199r
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames_Gimp View Post
iberostar paraiso maya resort was awesome great food great staff

https://www.iberostar.com/en-ca/hote...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

couple pics from my trip

I was at the Iberostar Lindo (resort next door) in 2020. I liked it.
Johnny199r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2022, 12:15 PM   #29
Knut

Exp:

Honestly. My wife and I are done with All-inclusives. It may seem like you are saving money but in reality it often works out to be more expensive of a trip. You also feel stuck to the resort.

Find a highly rated place near the main tourist strip in Cancun, Puerto Vallarata or Cabo and buy a rate that includes breakfast. You can pick up beer, wine, vodka and mix for cheap at the store (they even have delivery services and bring it right to the hotel).

The food at All-inclusives (disregarding the real high end places like Le Blanc Spa) is typically much worse vs. regular rate hotels.

Hotels also often have a 3 day all inclusive rate where you can buy for a 3 day period instead of the entire stay. The rest of your visit can be at a standard rate.
Knut is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Knut For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2022, 02:31 PM   #30
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

A few comments to OP's questions:

1) We've been to pretty much all (or nearly all) 4 and 5-star all-inclusive hotels on Riviera Maya. From our experiences, no other sun destination all-inclusive property in Dominican, Cuba, Bahamas etc. comes close to beating the value (cost vs. benefit) offered at those properties. There are many resorts elsewhere offering a much better overall level of service but at much higher prices; hence, the value argument.

2) There have been noticeable worsening of service levels across most Mexican resorts (and other resorts) due to the pandemic. I am sure this is not specific to Mexico only. Check recent Tripadvisor reviews specific to your time of travel. Avoid any all-inclusive hotels less than 4-star on WestJet rating.

3) Another factor to consider - seaweed. In the past 3-4 years, Riviera Maya beaches are attacked by sargassum seaweed from April to early August. It is overwhelming. Swimming at the beach is borderline disgusting and the stench of dead seaweed on shore is horrid. They do their best to remove it daily but it's just too much.

4) If traveling with kids of all ages, Iberostar chain of resorts is at the higher end of the all-inclusive and normally doesn't disappoint too much. Iberostar Grand Paraiso and Lindo are solid good bets. Bahia chain is also very good.

5) Christmas time is the most popular and most expensive, but not the best as the weather is not ideal. January to early March is the most sensible time to go there, both financially (good deals after New Year's) and from weather perspective.
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainYooh For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2022, 02:47 PM   #31
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhorse View Post
Following. I have a similar situation, where we are looking to stay in Puerto Vallarta for a week. Doesn’t have to be “all inclusive”, since we’re not big drinkers / lounge around the pool all day types. Probably at least half the time we’re off doing something. I’d need safe food on site or nearby though, since Mrs Ironhorse is also “on vacation”.
Try Punta Mita on the north side of the Bay. A little bit more upscale and low key. Many boutique hotels as well.

In all, thought, if anyone is looking to go to Mexico and preferring pool vs ocean, i recommend Mexico City all day long. An absolutely amazing city! You can stay at resort style hotels with rooftop pools etc (although the weather isn't as nice in the winter)
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2022, 03:19 PM   #32
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knut View Post
Honestly. My wife and I are done with All-inclusives. It may seem like you are saving money but in reality it often works out to be more expensive of a trip. You also feel stuck to the resort.

Find a highly rated place near the main tourist strip in Cancun, Puerto Vallarata or Cabo and buy a rate that includes breakfast. You can pick up beer, wine, vodka and mix for cheap at the store (they even have delivery services and bring it right to the hotel).

The food at All-inclusives (disregarding the real high end places like Le Blanc Spa) is typically much worse vs. regular rate hotels.

Hotels also often have a 3 day all inclusive rate where you can buy for a 3 day period instead of the entire stay. The rest of your visit can be at a standard rate.
The food and buffets at AI's has definitely turned me away. It is convenient and reasonable for two or three days but after that it just becomes disappointing. Even the specialty restaurants just aren't that enticing at most resorts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainYooh View Post

3) Another factor to consider - seaweed. In the past 3-4 years, Riviera Maya beaches are attacked by sargassum seaweed from April to early August. It is overwhelming. Swimming at the beach is borderline disgusting and the stench of dead seaweed on shore is horrid. They do their best to remove it daily but it's just too much.
We experienced this seagrass issue at Palm Beach this summer and it was awful. It was apparently up and down the entire Florida coast and it was so thick and brutal. We still went into the water a bit and my kids still had fun but it was crazy to see.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2022, 04:04 PM   #33
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
We experienced this seagrass issue at Palm Beach this summer and it was awful. It was apparently up and down the entire Florida coast and it was so thick and brutal. We still went into the water a bit and my kids still had fun but it was crazy to see.
We've seen these levels of it in 2021. I mean, this was beyond anything reasonable. Even at the pools you could smell this sh.t rotting on the beach. Miraculously, it was all gone by November though and it was not as bad this year. So, it's a good idea to check the status if planning to go in spring or summer months.

Old 10-17-2022, 06:56 PM   #34
Flames_Gimp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny199r View Post
I was at the Iberostar Lindo (resort next door) in 2020. I liked it.
I like how it's all connected and you can go to any of the restaurants or bars, my original reservation was at lindo but they had to move me to maya. The beach with the boardwalk across the entire resort making it wheelchair accessible and the wheelchair accessible grass tents/table great resort.
Old 11-25-2022, 06:27 PM   #35
Ironhorse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Any additional recommendations for decent hotels in Puerto Vallarta? Needs to be Centro or south end. Not really looking for all-inclusive, but onsite restaurant required (since Mrs Ironhorse is on vacation also).
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2022, 06:53 PM   #36
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

We ended up booking an Iberostar on the south side of Playa Del Carmen, don’t recall which one but it’s like in a village of resorts unfortunately but whatever.

I’d like to wait until after the holidays when you’re really sick of winter, but she’s back to work in n airy so we wanted to get some time in before that.

Still need to figure out transport to and from airport, because I don’t think I’ve won the car rental discussion. Overall, should be a decent, albeit rather mundane trip. Am pretty stoked just to spend some time with my girls tbh.
Old 11-25-2022, 07:01 PM   #37
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

A major aspect of the all inclusive is the social element. It's fun to be around other people. Even if you only want to have brief conversations, there's something to be said just for people watching. I'd also say I had more conversations with actual Mexicans, both locals and staff, staying in resorts, than I've had staying outside them. Outside the resort you see more people walking on the street?

Plus, the proximity to a beach is typically something you don't get outside of a resort. The ability to go from pool to beach immediately is great.

I also strongly disagree with the being stuck in the resort complaint. That's no more true than if you were staying at a non-resort place. You just have to put a bit of effort into booking an excursion outside of the hotel.

As for price, yes, a lot of the time you are paying more. You are also getting all of your meals prepared and the ability to just walk up to a bar in a club/bar/beach atmosphere and get as many pre-prepared drinks as you want, and with far more variety than you'd have at home. The food will get to you for its repetitiveness, but the quality of all inclusive food has gotten vastly better over the last 8 years or so.

Honestly, it's a question of what you want. If you want more privacy/seclusion then don't stay in a beach. If you want to lay on a beach and do nothing (for at least part of the trip) and/or socialize then stay in a resort.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2022, 08:00 PM   #38
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
We ended up booking an Iberostar on the south side of Playa Del Carmen, don’t recall which one but it’s like in a village of resorts unfortunately but whatever.

I’d like to wait until after the holidays when you’re really sick of winter, but she’s back to work in n airy so we wanted to get some time in before that.

Still need to figure out transport to and from airport, because I don’t think I’ve won the car rental discussion. Overall, should be a decent, albeit rather mundane trip. Am pretty stoked just to spend some time with my girls tbh.
The hotel may have transfers. Or use USA/Canada transfer. Don’t rent a car.

I assume the community is playacar? Great spot. Walking distance to downtown playa.
Old 11-26-2022, 02:59 AM   #39
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Is that new? the only Iberostar I knew of were north of Playa and there's like 4or5 of them together like a small town, never stayed there but I heard they're nice. as for transport, every major resort has shuttles from airport and return.
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 09:04 AM   #40
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
Is that new? the only Iberostar I knew of were north of Playa and there's like 4or5 of them together like a small town, never stayed there but I heard they're nice. as for transport, every major resort has shuttles from airport and return.
There’s 2 Iberostars in playacar.