Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-31-2019, 11:33 AM   #41
Jeff Lebowski
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

SJS have good players and this will be a tough test. It’s the perfect scenario for CGY - really have to earn a victory tonight against a division rival, on the road (tough building), who are also playoff bound.

These are the kind of situations that I believe CGY thrives in - big games. It’s the chance to showcase what they’ve built and put out a great performance.

CGY potential is so incredibly vast and they have chance to show what running on all cylinders can look like.

Last edited by Jeff Lebowski; 03-31-2019 at 11:35 AM.
Jeff Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 11:40 AM   #42
flamesrule_kipper34
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
Was that the game with the Gaudreau/Bennett give-and-goal?
Yup.
flamesrule_kipper34 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to flamesrule_kipper34 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2019, 11:44 AM   #43
PugnaciousIntern
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm not sure the Flames will have the intensity to match this early on.

Could be a few quick SJ goals and slide away from there. Hope not!
PugnaciousIntern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 11:50 AM   #44
Scornfire
First Line Centre

Exp:

anybody else down here for the game?
Scornfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 11:54 AM   #45
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maritime Q-Scout View Post

The Sharks are limping into the last week of the season, having lost 7 of their last 8? It seems like yesterday they were fighting the Flames for first, and now they look to hold onto home ice for the first round and keep Las Vegas at bay
Sharks clinched home-ice last game against Vegas.

Vegas winning out gives them 97 with 42 ROW, Sharks already have that beat. Phoenix also can't catch up to Vegas so Vegas is locked in at third in the Pacific.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 11:55 AM   #46
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1112411885175885824
Yoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 11:55 AM   #47
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Derek Wills says he expects the same lineup, including Smith.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 11:59 AM   #48
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:

would the Sharks pull their goalie in a tied game? Can they afford the Flames getting even one point?
Canada 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Canada 02 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2019, 12:04 PM   #49
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Calgary (48-23-7-103) @ San Jose (44-25-9-97) 6:00pm (SNW, SNE, SNO, SNP, SN360)

Still not on board with Smith being the playoff goalie but he’s played better. The organization has wanted Smith to be the starter the entire year, i can’t say I share the same belief in smith. I just keep having flashbacks of playoff Elliott when I envision Smith in the playoffs. I think going with Smith is far riskier than going with Rittich, I would’ve said you were crazy if you told me smith was the playoff starter a month ago but here we are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Beninho; 03-31-2019 at 12:10 PM.
Beninho is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Beninho For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2019, 12:18 PM   #50
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beninho View Post
Still not on board with Smith being the playoff goalie but he’s played better. The organization has wanted Smith to be the starter the entire year, i can’t say I share the same belief in smith. I just keep having flashbacks of playoff Elliott when I envision Smith in the playoffs. I think going with Smith is far riskier than going with Rittich, I would’ve said you were crazy if you told me smith was the playoff starter a month ago but here we are.

smith has played better of late, but if it were my decision, i'd start Rittich as well
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 12:24 PM   #51
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beninho View Post

I am a bit surprised that Smith gets the start tonight and he would not be my choice to start in the playoffs, but comments like this don’t make any sense to me. I rather think the coaches have done s masterful job of handling the goalies, and with how much was on the line this year in Calgary I cannot fathom how the priority was anything but starting the goalie who gave the team the best opportunity to win games. Period. Yes, Smith received a little more latitude because he is a veteran. This is just how things go in hockey, and I don’t believe for a second that the goal was always for Mike Smith to be the starter. He was at the beginning of the year, but was clearly supplanted by Rittich in December. I have little doubt things would have stayed that way had Rittich’s performance not slipped a little starting in February.

In any event, I am sure hoping for another strong effort from Smith tonight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2019, 12:26 PM   #52
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada 02 View Post
would the Sharks pull their goalie in a tied game? Can they afford the Flames getting even one point?
I don't think they would do it. But it's something to watch for. I think one more point will give San Jose guaranteed home ice in round 1. Plus if they win after regular time they can still get to 105 with Flames at 104. If they don't get 2 points tonight they're no better than second. Considering that they would still need the Flames to lose out and them win out with a regulation win I don't see them trying it.
Old 03-31-2019, 12:33 PM   #53
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Starting Smith is totally the right call imo. He has played well lately and you would like that puck moving ability in the playoffs . This is a perfect scenario to see what Smith has got as this game should be very playoff like. If he is great tonight you can lean toward starting him in game 1, if he craps the bed you know to start Ritter.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2019, 12:33 PM   #54
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I’d like to see a team pull their goalie in ot. 4v3 is such an advantage in the extra frame.
Yoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 12:36 PM   #55
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoho View Post
I’d like to see a team pull their goalie in ot. 4v3 is such an advantage in the extra frame.
If you get scored on, you lose the extra point (i.e. no point for an OT loss). So it needs to be specific scenarios (like ROW considerations).
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Oling_Roachinen For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2019, 12:37 PM   #56
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Starting Smith is totally the right call imo. He has played well lately and you would like that puck moving ability in the playoffs . This is a perfect scenario to see what Smith has got as this game should be very playoff like. If he is great tonight you can lean toward starting him in game 1, if he craps the bed you know to start Ritter.
I still don’t think that the coaches make their decision on a starter on the basis of just this one game. Peters said the decision would be made on Day One of the Playoffs, and with how the goalies have been handled I tend to believe him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 12:38 PM   #57
tsquared1967
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvanfan View Post
I don't think they would do it. But it's something to watch for. I think one more point will give San Jose guaranteed home ice in round 1. Plus if they win after regular time they can still get to 105 with Flames at 104. If they don't get 2 points tonight they're no better than second. Considering that they would still need the Flames to lose out and them win out with a regulation win I don't see them trying it.
The Sharks have home ice in round 1. They can't lose tonight and can't afford to give a point away tonight. I think they will pull their goalie. Nothing to lose in my mind but I am a gambler.
tsquared1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tsquared1967 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2019, 12:43 PM   #58
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
You would hope the decision of which goalie to play has more thought put in to it.

Fourth last game of the year as a one game play in?

Sounds like something the Oilers would do. Except for the obvious that we are talking about who is starting in net, not who tees off first
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 12:44 PM   #59
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
I still don’t think that the coaches make their decision on a starter on the basis of just this one game. Peters said the decision would be made on Day One of the Playoffs, and with how the goalies have been handled I tend to believe him.

Right, but the Flames are going to eventually clinch the West anyhow so why not see what Smith does against a playoff calibre team fighting for a hope and prayer for the division. I am not saying this game defines the starter but it is a good opportunity to take a look at Smith under that kind of pressure tonight.
He plays lights out, great. He craps the bed, oh well, you start Ritter against LA who should be a lock for two points and helps keep him confident. If you start Rittich tonight and he has a bad game and poops the bed then you have a problem imo because your guy you were leaning toward your #1 just took a massive confidence blow.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2019, 12:44 PM   #60
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada 02 View Post
The Sharks can afford the Flames getting a single point. But they cannot afford the Flames winning. So it would not make sense for them to pull the goalie if tied.

If the Sharks win in regulation, it remains 3
If the Sharks win in OT, it drops to 2
If the Sharks win a SO, it drops to 1
If the Flames win in any manner, they clinch
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post: