Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-31-2019, 11:26 PM   #61
MelBridgeman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yes all of them next Saturday
MelBridgeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 06:39 AM   #62
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
Division banner should be for winning 2 rounds.

Flames dont have an 88 division banner but have a 2006 one
I disagree, no way should a team be able to win a division banner without playing in that division.

For argument's sake, let's say that Carolina gets the 2nd wildcard in the East, they upset Tampa, and then go on to upset Boston... do the Carolina Hurricanes, who play in the Metropolitan Division get to raise the Atlantic Division Champions banner?

Since there isn't a true divisional playoff format, then championship banner should go to the top team from the regular season.

If there was a true divisional championship (which with the addition of Seattle there could be, playoffs simply be the top four teams per division, no wildcards) then yes, but as it stands right now no. Division Champion = Regular Season.

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Maritime Q-Scout For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2019, 07:28 AM   #63
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't really have an opinion either way - but it is weird how we minimize the 82 games regular season accomplishments in favour of a bunch of 4 of 7 game series which you can lose because the other team's goalie gets hot for a week.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PeteMoss For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2019, 07:31 AM   #64
JackIsBack
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirk diggler View Post
i wouldnt, sounds too much like an Oilers move

Can't you guys compromise... Let's put up the Flames banners in Edmonton...

problem solved.... you're welcome.
JackIsBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 07:41 AM   #65
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm fine with one banner for regular season achievements - division or Presidents Trophy. Nothing in between and never both. For playoffs, I'm fine with two - one for Conference Champs, one for the Cup. The redundancy there doesn't bother me as much for whatever reason.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 08:21 AM   #66
calgaryred
Franchise Player

Exp:

Flames have regular season division winner banners for a couple years in the 90s and 2006, nothing wrong with awarding the team for something they worked 6 months to achieve. Western Conference regular season champions banner is just stupid. Win 3 rounds and your a Western Conference Champion.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
calgaryred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 08:29 AM   #67
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

There is nothing wrong with celebrating a division championship. I think they should raise the Pacific banner next year. There is a reason they play 82 games, if you are the best then there is no reason not acknowledge it. The way I see it:

Regular season banners are Division and President trophy. You play the regular season for these and are awarded something for doing it (top seed in your division and the Presidents trophy).

Playoff banners are conference champ and Stanley cup.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 08:32 AM   #68
Dx54
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

nm
Dx54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 08:35 AM   #69
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoho View Post
Vegas ridiculed Nashville for “Regular season” confrence champion after they put it up.

The Vegas organization, if any, certainly deserves to be the authority on tradition.

Many teams put up "Regular Season Conference Champions" banners as others have pointed out. Based on the flames history, they will likely just put up a division winner banner on opening night next year. But really, who cares? I'd rather be worrying about a Cup banner.

Last edited by Hot_Flatus; 04-01-2019 at 08:38 AM.
Hot_Flatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 11:30 AM   #70
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Good point OP actually..I didn't even consider that, just assumed they'd put one up for finishing first..but you're right, since they went back to the divisional format I wonder if you'd only get it for coming out of the divisional round of the playoffs like they did until 1993. Good question.

I was looking back at last year's regular season winners to get an answer, but unfortunately 3 of the 4 regular season division winners also won it in the playoffs as well, so that doesn't help..except Nashville, but they were already mocked for their stupid banner they raised for last year, so it makes me doubt if they should have even gotten the division banner...did Winnipeg also raise a 2018 Central Division champions banner for making the third round?

So if we finished 3rd in the Pacific standings this year, but survive through to the 3rd round, we wouldn't get a banner then? Feels like we should..I'm wondering if the wild card seeds are the reason this is exempt now..like if we finished 4th and crossed over to the Central but won it, we wouldn't raise a Central Division Champions banner would we?

I'm very perplexed now haha, can't believe this didn't occur to me until seeing this topic today..I'm guessing we do get a banner though, due to the wild card factor. Just my guess..let's hope we just make at least the third round so we don't even have to wonder about it..
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 11:45 AM   #71
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sainters7 View Post

So if we finished 3rd in the Pacific standings this year, but survive through to the 3rd round, we wouldn't get a banner then? Feels like we should..I'm wondering if the wild card seeds are the reason this is exempt now..like if we finished 4th and crossed over to the Central but won it, we wouldn't raise a Central Division Champions banner would we?
I think that is exactly why it has to be based on the regular season for the division banner. The Flames should definitely not be putting up a regular season Western Conference Champion banner and they shouldn't make a big deal about the Pacific Division banner either. No pre-game ceremony, just have it raised already before game 1 of next season. Only have a ceremony if they are the Western Conference Champions or Stanley Cup Champions.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 11:52 AM   #72
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Massive massive achievement for the Flames organization to lock down all of the western conference.

I have lofty hopes of a big push into round 2 or 3 of the playoffs this year but even if thay didn't happen, I'd still be incredibly happy with the season. These are the step teams take to becoming perennial contenders, just not a one and done team like the 04 flames or 06 Oilers.

Amazing year.
I don't think round 2 is a 'lofty' hope. With the roster this team has and the regular season they put together, going out in round 2 would be a big disappointment.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 12:16 PM   #73
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's funny that the Predators got so much flak for putting up their banner this season, but I've found photos of Regular Season Conference Champion banners in San Jose, Detroit, and Washington too.

I'm just hoping that the Flames have such a successful run this spring that they decide to get rid of the regular season division banners to make room for the new banners. Keep it to putting up banners for things you win a trophy for: President's Trophy, Campbell Bowl, Stanley Cup... and they'll need room for two new banners in the fall.
Old 04-01-2019, 12:22 PM   #74
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

San Jose and Detroit have apparently taken theirs down. So there's that.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2019, 01:36 PM   #75
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteMoss View Post
I don't really have an opinion either way - but it is weird how we minimize the 82 games regular season accomplishments in favour of a bunch of 4 of 7 game series which you can lose because the other team's goalie gets hot for a week.
Here's a question.

If the KHL invited the NHL to send a team for a Challenge Cup.

Would you send Tampa Bay or the Stanley Cup champs?

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 01:42 PM   #76
Geordano
Draft Pick

no
Geordano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 03:25 PM   #77
Hockey Fan #751
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by #-3 View Post
Flames have 4 from 89 up.

Regular Season;
Smyth
Presidents

Playoff;
Campbell
Stanley

The 88-89 Smythe Division champions banner is really nice. The 93-94 Pacific Division champions banner looks like someone tried to replicate the 88-89 one in photoshop but only had a basic font package.
Hockey Fan #751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 04:15 PM   #78
Yrebmi
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think you send the Bolts.
Stanley cup champions are the year prior, and may be a vastly changed team from the previous year.
Yrebmi is offline   Reply With Quote