Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-21-2015, 02:48 PM   #1
Jets4Life
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:
Default I love Calgary

I'm moving to Calgary, and I am so excited to be back in the best city in Canada. This is a thread for people who were not born in this great city to express their gratitude to the greatest city on earth. Calgary.
Jets4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Jets4Life For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2015, 03:04 PM   #2
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Born in the US, raised in Calgary from 5 yo on. I love this place. I have a strong urge to leave and explore the world in my youth, but I recognize this is a top-tier city to live in, which I think a lot of people that have lived here their whole lives takes for granted.

Canada is the greatest country on Earth, I love my adopted homeland.
Old 09-21-2015, 03:08 PM   #3
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Born here, love the money/jobs and access to mountains. Everything else is at best average, and weather is extremely sub-par.
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 03:12 PM   #4
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducay View Post
Born here, love the money/jobs and access to mountains. Everything else is at best average, and weather is extremely sub-par.

3 posts in and you screwed it up.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 03:13 PM   #5
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

i love calgary too!!

back in 1997 my job took me to calgary for 6 months or so - it was awesome - i just loved it. the looks i got when people found out i was from bc but was also smart enough to cheer for the flames were great

my wife and i still try to make it back to calgary about 1/year, but that's been tough since our kids were born.... but we will make it back soon for a visit i hope!

there's always lots to see and do, no sales tax, and i make sure i take in either a flames or a stamps game (depending on the time of year)
Old 09-21-2015, 03:22 PM   #6
Slacker
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Born in Venezuela, moved to Calgary in 2004.

I got a chance to study, work and live while having piece of mind (Venezuela is a very dangerous place these days).

Not only that, I get to know an incredible Country with awesome people and the place I call home.

And if extreme sub-par weather is the price to pay to live here, I'm more than happy to pay for it.
Slacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 03:31 PM   #7
darklord700
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slacker View Post
And if extreme sub-par weather is the price to pay to live here, I'm more than happy to pay for it.
Beg to differ. Calgary's weather is not tropical for sure but I don't find it extremely sub-par. I actually quite like our distinct four seasons. To me it's not sub-par at all unless you strictly talk about temperature wise.

Even comparing to other winter cities, we are milder temperature wise and dryer than most.
darklord700 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to darklord700 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2015, 03:35 PM   #8
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, the weather here gets a pretty bad rap.
Old 09-21-2015, 03:42 PM   #9
Slacker
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklord700 View Post
Beg to differ. Calgary's weather is not tropical for sure but I don't find it extremely sub-par. I actually quite like our distinct four seasons. To me it's not sub-par at all unless you strictly talk about temperature wise.

Even comparing to other winter cities, we are milder temperature wise and dryer than most.
I'm just replying to Ducay's comment about sub par weather. It's not too bad in here
Slacker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slacker For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2015, 03:46 PM   #10
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

I have to move to Edmonton in January. I WISH I was moving to Calgary (read: I wish I didn't have to leave). I'd rather shoot myself in the head. The only thing that will keep it from becoming a crippling apocalypse of ungodly proportions is watching the Flames steamroll that load of a hockey team every time they come to town.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 04:02 PM   #11
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Moved here when I was 3 so I don't really fit in this thread but after being back in Poland so many times and spending plenty of time in the town I would've grown up in if we stayed there, I have to say this:

THANK YOU MOM AND DAD FOR BLOWING THAT POPSICLE STAND! I can't even quantify how much better my life is here, than how would it be if we stayed. This place is amazing and provides so much opportunity and such a high quality of life. Some of you Canadians who haven't left North America don't know how good you have it.
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 04:25 PM   #12
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
Yeah, summer was great, but I can't wait for snowboarding season. I have my kids signed up for lessons the first day COP runs them in November and I'll be there or Louise pretty much every weekend all winter long. I have to fight the urge to put my rack on my car. By the end of the winter, I'm jonesing for summer. Seasons rule.

Only time of year that really sucks here is March/April. Those drag for me.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2015, 04:30 PM   #13
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Born in Saskatchewn and moved to Calgary when I was 5 years old. Dad had a choice to go to Winterpeg at that time and turned that down - good decision.

Spent 2 very very long years in Edmonton going to NAIT. Came to appreciate what dump/hole Edmonton was and how Calgary was a superior place to live in every way. It was 2 years that I will never get back.

Last edited by Dion; 09-21-2015 at 04:32 PM.
Dion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 04:36 PM   #14
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducay View Post
Old 09-21-2015, 04:48 PM   #15
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
Yeah, with multiple weeks in the winter above freezing there sure isn't much to complain about. People act like it's -20 for 12 weeks straight. I'd actually be okay with more snow
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 05:01 PM   #16
para transit fellow
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Beg to differ. Calgary's weather is not tropical for sure but I don't find it extremely sub-par. I actually quite like our distinct four seasons. [snip]
I think that was the root of the sub-par weather complaint... we have 4 seasons practically every month...

(Snow in August, shrubs starting to bud in February... etc)
para transit fellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 05:04 PM   #17
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Coming up on my 20th anniversary of living here, still love it. Sunshine, mountains nearby, what's not to love?
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 05:06 PM   #18
Phanuthier
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Same here. I moved to Northern California, and after a while, every day the same is kind of boring.

(I lived 18 years in Calgary, now I have lived in North Cal for about 6 years. If the chance ever came, I am looking to move to Colorado since its the closest to Calgary that I can get, to work in the industry that works for me.)
Old 09-21-2015, 06:23 PM   #19
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Lived here all 30 years of my life and love Calgary. Maybe it's just me but I love the winter months. Not that I'd want it to be cold 12 months of the year but I like the little break from the heat.
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to calgaryblood For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2015, 06:30 PM   #20
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryblood View Post
Lived here all 30 years of my life and love Calgary. Maybe it's just me but I love the winter months. Not that I'd want it to be cold 12 months of the year but I like the little break from the heat.
Finally, after years of searching, someone that agrees with me!
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:

Tags
calgary , canada , great cities