Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-01-2008, 10:45 PM   #1
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:
Default So I'm Using Someone Else's Connection...

I am moving this weekend and brought my laptop to the new place. I am currently logged on on someone's unsecured network... So, I am wondering what the rules of thumb are. I know my bank balance, so I'm not logging on to the TD website, but if I were to, is it dangerous? Can anyone see what I'm doing?
Obviously, the very first thing I did was log on to CP, so does the whole neighbourhood have my password? If so, you'll have to excuse any f'd up posts "I" make tonight...
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 10:49 PM   #2
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Is that really you, 4x4?
Old 03-01-2008, 10:53 PM   #3
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Left lane! God does not exist! Poontang!

Does that authenticate me...? Heh.
Old 03-01-2008, 10:54 PM   #4
Phanuthier
Franchise Player

Exp:

If someone else answers this, take their opinion instead. Just my guess...

I think you should be ok. Your login is encrypted, and if someone else is trying to pick up your signal, they'd have to know TDBank's decryption.

But, don't blame me if your password gets stolen.
Old 03-01-2008, 10:55 PM   #5
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Its just like logging in at the University....as long as you logout and clear the cookies you should be fine.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 10:57 PM   #6
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

So I'm safe? I can open my email? Facebook? I just don't want personal crap to be readable by strangers. Unless they offer me candy. KnowwhatI'msayinnnn?
Old 03-01-2008, 10:58 PM   #7
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Logging into your bank (or any other HTTPS connection) would be perfectly fine, it's encrypted between your browser and the bank's server so no one is going to see that.

If they knew what they were doing though everything else you did would be wide open to them seeing, including your forum password.

The chances that they know what they are doing is pretty much zero though.. If they kind of knew what they were doing they'd secure the network.. so either they're clueless, or they leave it wide open so they can watch all their neighbours surf the net.

I've often thought about doing that, leaving an open connection and putting an invisible proxy in place so that when someone connects to my network and surfs, they get directed to the sites I want them to see.. Or replace all their images with goatse.. or turn all the images upside down... or translate all the pages into russian
Old 03-01-2008, 10:59 PM   #8
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

You're not entirely safe, since you are on someone else's network they can get into your computer with some effort. Maybe install a keylogger, some kind of bot or backdoor trojan to send your info to them. The chances are slim to none however.

Like Photon said, if they are stupid enough to leave their network unsecured, they would know the same could happen to them vice versa so they aren't likely to be the kind of people who would know how to do this.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 11:00 PM   #9
photon

Exp:

Good point, your computer itself is exposed to their network as well.. make sure your firewall is on.
Old 03-01-2008, 11:05 PM   #10
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Logging into your bank (or any other HTTPS connection) would be perfectly fine, it's encrypted between your browser and the bank's server so no one is going to see that.

If they knew what they were doing though everything else you did would be wide open to them seeing, including your forum password.

The chances that they know what they are doing is pretty much zero though.. If they kind of knew what they were doing they'd secure the network.. so either they're clueless, or they leave it wide open so they can watch all their neighbours surf the net.

I've often thought about doing that, leaving an open connection and putting an invisible proxy in place so that when someone connects to my network and surfs, they get directed to the sites I want them to see.. Or replace all their images with goatse.. or turn all the images upside down... or translate all the pages into russian
So just exactly how does one attain internet privacy? I'll want wireless in this place, but I have no idea how to secure a network. Apparently, alot of people don't because there are a few to choose from around here.

But that also has me thinking... Maybe I should chintz out and not bother getting my own connection. I rarely watch TV except for Seinfeld reruns and NHL (now that NFL is done)... Summer is coming... I never use a land line phone... Theoretically, I could live here and use someone else's internet connection.
Old 03-01-2008, 11:06 PM   #11
McG
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would also add that many open connections have no idea that people are downloading stuff over their connection...i don't actually know how a person could see who was using their wireless connection using their router.
Old 03-01-2008, 11:08 PM   #12
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
You're not entirely safe, since you are on someone else's network they can get into your computer with some effort. Maybe install a keylogger, some kind of bot or backdoor trojan to send your info to them. The chances are slim to none however.

Like Photon said, if they are stupid enough to leave their network unsecured, they would know the same could happen to them vice versa so they aren't likely to be the kind of people who would know how to do this.
Keylogger? Back door trojan? I don't like the sound of that.

I will hook up my own connection on Monday, but how do I secure it? Can a layman do it? Any of you computer gurus wanna guide me through it and in exchange I'll teach you something about real estate, cars or construction? Or driving... I'll teach you how to drive!
Old 03-01-2008, 11:43 PM   #13
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

You login to your router (usually goto IE and in the address bar, goto the address in your manual like 192.168.2.1 or 192.168.0.1).

It will bring up a webpage that is coming from inside your router with all the settings for it. It should be pretty simple for anybody to use, just look for the part with wireless security or passwords, etc. You want to set up the highest strength WEP password you can. Then in the wireless connection settings in windows, you have to repeat the same thing you put into your router when it asks for the key.

As for teaching how to drive, do you have a standard car, I've wanted to learn how to drive stick since I almost drove through a wall in highschool. None of my friends ever had one for me to drive or learn.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 11:52 PM   #14
Crispy's Critter
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I've often wondered myself about the keylogger thing. I know theres progs out there that will allow someone to see the keys you are hitting, just not sure it's something a lot of hackers would have, or if it's something we need to be worried about. Any thoughts on it from people who know these things?

Crispy's Critter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 11:55 PM   #15
Phanuthier
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
As for teaching how to drive, do you have a standard car, I've wanted to learn how to drive stick since I almost drove through a wall in highschool. None of my friends ever had one for me to drive or learn.
I think the advertisement was more of "Drive in the left lane"
Old 03-02-2008, 12:01 AM   #16
Temporary_User
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

My network is unsecured. I'm in an apartment building which is mainly for students, so I feel I'm doing a good deed everyday by letting others use my internet.
I do everything on my computer, and every network I use is unsecure (home and school)

Temporary_User is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 12:05 AM   #17
photon

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4X4 View Post
So just exactly how does one attain internet privacy? I'll want wireless in this place, but I have no idea how to secure a network. Apparently, alot of people don't because there are a few to choose from around here.

But that also has me thinking... Maybe I should chintz out and not bother getting my own connection. I rarely watch TV except for Seinfeld reruns and NHL (now that NFL is done)... Summer is coming... I never use a land line phone... Theoretically, I could live here and use someone else's internet connection.
For security, routers nowadays usually have pretty good instructions with them, you just have to make sure you're setting up with WPA or WPA2 and you're good to go, and the manuals should help with that. Or just post here when you get it and have the model and stuff (each one is a bit different).

Aside from the ethical issues of using someone else's Internet connection without them knowing, you also don't have much reliability.. what if they wise up and secure their connection? What if their connection goes down? Etc..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crispy's Critter View Post
I've often wondered myself about the keylogger thing. I know theres progs out there that will allow someone to see the keys you are hitting, just not sure it's something a lot of hackers would have, or if it's something we need to be worried about. Any thoughts on it from people who know these things?
It's a tool that's probably pretty easy to get and use. It kind of depends on what the hacker is trying to accomplish though as to if they'd want to use it. Get a trojan on your computer so they can use it as a zombie to attack other computers? Probably not. Steal your World of Warcraft account info so they can take your stuff? Definately. There's usually much easier ways though to do most things hackers want to do, why go to the bother of hacking an individual computer when you can just send out dumb emails laden with phishing and trojans and keyloggers and eventually someone will click on them.
Old 03-02-2008, 12:06 AM   #18
photon

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Temporary_User View Post
My network is unsecured. I'm in an apartment building which is mainly for students, so I feel I'm doing a good deed everyday by letting others use my internet.
I do everything on my computer, and every network I use is unsecure (home and school)
Plus you have plausible deniablity.. so when they knock on your door to arrest you for those pictures you downloaded, you can say it was the guys next door
Old 03-02-2008, 12:12 AM   #19
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

I kinda like the good deed idea. Hell, when I was in Italy, I used my neighbour's connection for months. I almost owe it to the world. Just not at my privacy's expense.
As long as I can do my internet banking and whatnot, without fear of someone seeing passwords or account balances, I'm happy leaving my network unsecured. Unless there are reasons I shouldn't..?
Old 03-02-2008, 12:16 AM   #20
photon

Exp:

Leaving it unsecured does open your computer up to theoretical hacking from outside.

If a neighbour uses it and puts you over your limit and Shaw cancels your account you have no recourse, or if they do something illegal on your account it could still be a problem. Securing it is trivial, so it's worth doing.