Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-03-2023, 12:21 PM   #101
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach View Post
Yeah. The story is definitely better (if not pretty similar) to the first.

Just a better executed story overall.
And it could have been even better if they’d tightened up the story a bit.

First it’s about how humans want to full on colonize the planet and have seemingly given up on unobtanium.

Then halfway thru the movie they’re like oh wait, it’s actually this super valuable whale brain juice that, by the way, is even more valuable than crappy old unobtanium. Oh and it basically gives you immortality.

I think they could have done a better job linking General dbag’s revenge plot, the guerilla fighters disrupting the colonization and the whale hunting. Really linked together Jake, his old clan and the new clan.

I also felt like Nefertiti, or whatever her name is, had almost no role in this movie except to scream, hiss or cry. She was such a badass in the first movie and barely featured here.

And what the hell happened to the water clan during/after the fight? They’re all there attacking the big ship in unison then apparently they peaced the #### out and went home because of the 50 or so water riders, not a single one stuck around for the final boss battle or ship sinking.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2023, 04:13 PM   #102
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sketchyt View Post
Lots of chatter about how bad the story is. It's not Casablanca, sure. But it's fine. Probably on par with your average Marvel movie.
The more I think about it, the more it kind of disturbs me how quick, the otherwise very peaceful, Na'vi were to execute so many humans. It's like they love all life....until you cross the line....then it's assault weapons to the face.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2023, 05:18 PM   #103
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
And it could have been even better if they’d tightened up the story a bit.

First it’s about how humans want to full on colonize the planet and have seemingly given up on unobtanium.

Then halfway thru the movie they’re like oh wait, it’s actually this super valuable whale brain juice that, by the way, is even more valuable than crappy old unobtanium. Oh and it basically gives you immortality.

I think they could have done a better job linking General dbag’s revenge plot, the guerilla fighters disrupting the colonization and the whale hunting. Really linked together Jake, his old clan and the new clan.

I also felt like Nefertiti, or whatever her name is, had almost no role in this movie except to scream, hiss or cry. She was such a badass in the first movie and barely featured here.

And what the hell happened to the water clan during/after the fight? They’re all there attacking the big ship in unison then apparently they peaced the #### out and went home because of the 50 or so water riders, not a single one stuck around for the final boss battle or ship sinking.
Yeah pretty much agree with all of this.

But I was entertained either way.

Last edited by Coach; 01-05-2023 at 05:40 PM.
Coach is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Coach For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2023, 06:35 PM   #104
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

could've tightened up for sure

no point giving the general lady any screentime when she served no purpose in this film, you're just distracting from the core conflict/plot of this installment

why run over 3 hours when you really don't have to?

I think 2.5 is the ideal length for these films, so as to not overstay their welcome
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 07:21 PM   #105
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Edie Falco as the military general is one of the worst pieces of casting I have ever seen. Kind of like Keanu in that vampire flick.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2023, 08:16 PM   #106
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Edie Falco as the military general is one of the worst pieces of casting I have ever seen. Kind of like Keanu in that vampire flick.
did you just hate on Keanu in Constantine?
Old 01-05-2023, 10:37 PM   #107
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Tats the one thing I didn’t get. There’s a whole group of warriors that disappear halfway through the battle. And the big intelligent whales disappear too.
Old 01-05-2023, 10:51 PM   #108
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Kevin Kostner connection still strong

Way of Water = Waterworld

Waterworld > Way of the Water.

Waterworld looks like a complex, intricate story in comparison to Way of the Water.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 10:51 PM   #109
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentCrimmIndependent View Post
did you just hate on Keanu in Constantine?
I think it was a shot at Bram Stoker’s Dracula?
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2023, 03:00 AM   #110
OptimalTates
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentCrimmIndependent View Post
I wasn't crazy about the excessive na'vi cat mannerisms in this one, like the fangy hissing, but particularly when the human kid started doing it

one scene they were all doing tongue stuff as well. wasn't quite sure what was going on there

maybe ease off on that a bit next time, Jim
They are catering to the very powerful furry demographic though. Probably a billion alone from them.
OptimalTates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2023, 04:33 AM   #111
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

As I read these posts I am less and less inclined to see this movie, it sounds like a complete joke
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2023, 06:24 AM   #112
Nyah
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
As I read these posts I am less and less inclined to see this movie, it sounds like a complete joke
I mean, You made it pretty clear earlier in the thread that you probably wouldn't watch it, but thanks for the update.
Nyah is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nyah For This Useful Post:
AC
Old 01-09-2023, 03:30 PM   #113
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

So I think it's time to go see this and the question becomes... 4DX 3D or IMAX 3D HDR? I'd be especially interested in the implementation of the 4DX at Chinook and if they actually go all out on the "water" part of it.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2023, 10:28 PM   #114
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
the first one was so bloody awful, a story a three year old could have written and acting barely worthy of a low budget kung fu movie I doubt I'll bother watching it
Quote:
I will give it one thing, it's a kids movie that embraces being a kids film, none of the 'dark backstory' masquerading as an adult drama guff
Quote:
I think the thing about Avatar like most of the MCU superhero films is not that I hate them, I just get kind of weirded out that adults are so excited by them and keep telling me I miss their inherent genius, the Star Wars fanboys used to be the same but that franchise is so unarguably terrible now they've all pretty much shut up now.

These are kids shows, there is nothing wrong with that I am just tired of having some fan boy try and tell me there is some equivalence between Avatar and Lawrence of Arabia or the Seven Samurai, there just isnt.
Quote:
come on, it wasn't just unoriginal it was absurd, from naming the mineral 'unobtanium' (I mean at least give it a throw away line like 'the scientists call this plutouranium 789 but its so bloody rare we call it 'unobtanium' for short) to the absurdly one dimensional character's, the evil military guy, the good scientists etc, why's he evil? is it in any way likely some futuristic colonisation any of this would be allowed? if you want to draw the parallel between the history of manifest destiny and the wests resource exploitation fair enough but the lazy shallow plotline that nothing is different in the future, there isnt even the slightest nod to time and attitudes changing and an increasingly complex and morally grey future maybe being likely.

The story, the character's even the language was about as shallow as an episode of Flash Gordon from the 1930's, Cameron spent years working on the technology of the film and at most a weekend on writing the script
Quote:
I don't doubt that but attitudes have changed since 1870 and will continue to change, the 'plot' behind Avatar was lazy and one dimensional, childishly simplistic
Quote:
Can we assume the climax will consist of the bad guy with a spear screaming '“From hell’s heart I stab at thee; for hate’s sake I spit my last breath at thee"?
Quote:
and at some point the greedy company guy will look over at the evil military guy when they see a sea full of Maori like whale riders and say

'we're going to need a bigger boat!'
Quote:
by the fourth film they will be mining slightlyrareium
Quote:
Ok so I'm not saying Cameron's predictable but I made the joke about Maori's riding whales before I had seen a single still of the film, I open up your link and what do I see, the blue people have now all got Maori face tattoos, this film is about the same Maori's I made an off hand joke about three hours ago!!!
Quote:
LOL

Does James Cameron pay you rent?
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2023, 11:50 AM   #115
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Saw it on the weekend at 9:30 PM. Didn't get out until 12:45 am. The couple next to us (in VIP) were passed out; cuddled up like they fell asleep on the couch. Shoes off and everything. I believe they crushed a bottle of wine over the course of the movie too so that probably helped...

I thought the movie was meh. It was beautiful; but also I couldn't stop thinking "this is a fictional planet? of course it's beautiful!" Other than the "beauty", the film itself was way too long, way too much, and the story was plain.

I think the first one was better (having not watched it since it was in theatres)

I couldn't wait for it to be done, and I probably will never watch it again.
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2023, 08:29 PM   #116
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Well that was the prettiest movie I've ever seen, and with 2 Avatars there's now exactly 2 movies that make 3D worthwhile. Plotwise it was alright, the end battle with Neytiri going psycho mom was awesome, but I liked the first a bit more even though it was more derivative. What really hurt this one was the kid who played Spider, I really hope they give him some acting lessons for the 3rd movie because he was terrible in this one. And Cameron really needs to hire a more forceful editor, this movie did not need to be 3 hours at all

I really hope that other movies start copying the CGI techniques for this one though, because the Na'vi completely #### all over every other pure-CGI character in any movie. I always find it hard to connect to CGI characters in other movies because they never look real enough, and my brain just equates them to fancy animation. With Cameron's blue aliens though I completely forget I'm watching a CGI fest, they look and emote as real as any of the human characters

Last edited by Hemi-Cuda; 01-11-2023 at 01:29 AM.
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2023, 10:25 PM   #117
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
LOL

Does James Cameron pay you rent?
there's not liking something, then there's needing the world to understand in intimiate detail just how much you don't like something, to the point where you follow said thing more than its fans

avatar 1 may have been derivative and not all it was built up to be at the time, but the ones who actively make it out to be the worst film ever are just outing themselves as needing to be snobby cinephile hipsters
Old 01-11-2023, 12:11 AM   #118
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

You guys liked the film and yet your every other post is about gaping plot holes lousy lousy casting and how the story is worse than the first that you all say is derivative as ****, you aint exactly selling it.!!
Old 01-11-2023, 02:50 AM   #119
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

I honestly don't get why people are so butthurt over this movie...on all my social media feeds its clickbait garbage about hating it and what a flop it is

Meanwhile one of the top grossing movies of all time
Old 01-11-2023, 03:47 AM   #120
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
I honestly don't get why people are so butthurt over this movie...on all my social media feeds its clickbait garbage about hating it and what a flop it is

Meanwhile one of the top grossing movies of all time
To be honest it just surprizes me that everyone here that says they love the movie talks about how terrible the movie is in every aspect except the graphics, it seems to be that the only thing they like is the graphics, no one seems to like the story or the acting, it's just pretty to look at, that does seem well a bit shallow