Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-23-2022, 07:36 AM   #81
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Why are movies so long these days? It’s completely unnecessary.

Movies used to be 1.5 hrs run time. You should be able to tell your story within that roughly. I hate long movies to be honest. Lord of the Rings is fun to your head boring due to length and would be 10x better if they cut some of the totally unnecessary slack.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2022, 08:26 AM   #82
Hessen
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Or bring back intermissions!

"Lets all go to the lobby..."
Hessen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hessen For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2022, 08:34 AM   #83
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post

Movies used to be 1.5 hrs run time. You should be able to tell your story within that roughly. I hate long movies to be honest. Lord of the Rings is fun to your head boring due to length and would be 10x better if they cut some of the totally unnecessary slack.
I blame the Ten Commandments
iggy_oi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to iggy_oi For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2022, 08:48 AM   #84
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post

We recently re-watched the extended versions. But we did it like we were watching a series, so an hour a night. Turned it into a 9 part series, and it was so much more enjoyable that way.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2022, 10:33 AM   #85
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

I genuinely do think Avatar 2 needs a 10-minute intermission. Would improve the experience tenfold. Bathroom breaks are inevitable with this one.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2022, 10:43 AM   #86
Nyah
First Line Centre

Exp:

Finally got to see this last night. It was gorgeous to look at but otherwise pretty forgettable. Glad I saw it on the big screen, but that'll be it for me.
Nyah is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nyah For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2022, 08:12 PM   #87
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

This might be slander but I thought the above water scenes from the first Avatar were more real then this one. This one had the video game affect, now that could have been my eyes adjusting to the high frame rate but above water and the flying scenes I thought were better 13 years ago.

The underwater was amazing. It was like Snorkling. He even in the sub scene had the refraction difference as the change in curvature of the glass accounted for. Absolutely amazing. I loved the middle third of the cultural nature documentary.

I don’t think it’s as revolutionary as the first and therefore won’t drive the same legs but the under water scenes were better than I expected.

Plot wise I don’t think the movie made sense. Then wanting to capture Sully once he disappears and isn’t leading terrorist attacks doesn’t make sense. You just move the indigenous population out of the way as you go. The first time they failed because they over extended themselves. Now that they have the robot builders colonization and militarization of the world should be relatively easy with the tech advantage.

Then you have the family keeping running back in to get captured again on the boat. Get the 5 year old to safety. I thought there was potential with the spider/meaning of family thing but it didn’t really get into it because the general is comically evil.

I think the world is there with Kira in the Anakin role having been conceived by the force and can interact and control it. I suspect in four and five she is the Jedi training the Na’vi to use the force to fight the Sky People. I’m excited for 4 and 5. 3 likely ends up the final chapter of Jake and Neytiri vs the General and the end of them.

In the end though definitely worth seeing in IMAX 3D and should garner enough box office to let 4 and 5 get made on Cameron’s vision.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2022, 03:38 PM   #88
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Really liked it. Even the cheesy story hit me at points. There's the obvious criticisms about the bad guys being unnecessarily evil.

I would definitely recommend watching this in IMAX. I saw it on a screen that wasn't big enough. Don't think I'll watch it again, but to experience it properly you really need the bigger screen.
blankall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2022, 11:06 PM   #89
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Loved it. Was not a big fan of the first. This was miles better and the visuals are incredible.

Didn't feel like 3 hrs to me. I could've stayed in that world longer for sure. Needs to be seen in a theatre. Its worth it.
Old 12-27-2022, 09:14 PM   #90
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Kevin Kostner connection still strong

Way of Water = Waterworld

sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 12-27-2022, 10:33 PM   #91
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wasn't crazy about the excessive na'vi cat mannerisms in this one, like the fangy hissing, but particularly when the human kid started doing it

one scene they were all doing tongue stuff as well. wasn't quite sure what was going on there

maybe ease off on that a bit next time, Jim
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2022, 09:42 AM   #92
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Its dumb - theatres removed intermissions so they could cram in more showings but historically, intermissions were a time to sell more concessions like more popcorn and drinks. Theatres make most of their money on the concessions so why don't they bring back intermissions?
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 12-28-2022, 09:43 AM   #93
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentCrimmIndependent View Post
I wasn't crazy about the excessive na'vi cat mannerisms in this one, like the fangy hissing, but particularly when the human kid started doing it

one scene they were all doing tongue stuff as well. wasn't quite sure what was going on there

maybe ease off on that a bit next time, Jim
The whole uncanny valley and furry aspect is why I don't really connect with the Avatar series. It just feels awkward. I wish he would create a more grounded sci-fi universe like he did in Aliens but with the same visuals when you visit exotic worlds.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2022, 10:44 AM   #94
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
Its dumb - theatres removed intermissions so they could cram in more showings but historically, intermissions were a time to sell more concessions like more popcorn and drinks. Theatres make most of their money on the concessions so why don't they bring back intermissions?
Are that many people going for round two of snacks? Once I'm 2/3 through my large popcorn, I have little desire to eat anything.

An intermission for me would just be a bathroom break followed by 10 minutes of awkwardly waiting for the movie to start again and having to deal with the awkward re-seating of the entire theatre.

I want people to get into the theatre and be quiet. Any kind of psychological break from that and you'll just have to deal with more chatting and interruptions.
Old 12-28-2022, 05:50 PM   #95
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

I enjoyed Avatar 2 more than I was expecting. It felt long early on, but picked up once they hit the water.

Not a movie I think I'd want to watch again. I couldn't make it through Avatar without dosing off at home a couple days ago.

I'm glad I saw The Way of Water in theatres. It wasn't quite the spectacle the first Avatar was, but it was up there. 3D did nothing for me--rather I think it hindered my enjoyment cause I don't do 3D or low light well--but there weren't many (any?) 2D showtime options.
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2023, 08:37 AM   #96
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

I really enjoyed the movie. I didn't mind the length and the slower parts either. I think it helped build the world.

It almost felt like a video game to me. But I can see why that wouldn't be for everyone.

Overall just a lot of fun for me.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2023, 06:12 PM   #97
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr. Mints View Post
3D did nothing for me--rather I think it hindered my enjoyment cause I don't do 3D or low light well--but there weren't many (any?) 2D showtime options.
https://store.dftba.com/products/2d-glasses
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2023, 08:51 PM   #98
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Hate to admit it, but I even got sucked into the cheesey story line. A lot of it purposely used harming children as a device to elicit an emotional response and it was pretty effective at times.

The brutality towards the humans was a little shocking though. They were all two dimensional evil guys, who deserved brutal deaths.
The Following User Says Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2023, 10:51 AM   #99
sketchyt
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Hate to admit it, but I even got sucked into the cheesey story line. A lot of it purposely used harming children as a device to elicit an emotional response and it was pretty effective at times.

The brutality towards the humans was a little shocking though. They were all two dimensional evil guys, who deserved brutal deaths.
Lots of chatter about how bad the story is. It's not Casablanca, sure. But it's fine. Probably on par with your average Marvel movie.
sketchyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2023, 10:58 AM   #100
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sketchyt View Post
Lots of chatter about how bad the story is. It's not Casablanca, sure. But it's fine. Probably on par with your average Marvel movie.
Yeah. The story is definitely better (if not pretty similar) to the first.

Just a better executed story overall.