Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 12-06-2018, 09:20 AM   #1
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:
Icon32 There is a game tonight, it's at 7pm, it's a home game and it's against the Minnesot-

Home game, 7 pm start against the Minnesota Wild

I don't want to spoil the ATL, but it's probably pretty good. I dunno. We'll see I guess.

Discuss!
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2018, 09:22 AM   #2
Samiz
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I don't want to spoil the ATL, so I won't!
The Following User Says Thank You to Samiz For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2018, 09:24 AM   #3
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

Here's the preview from CalgaryFlames.com:

Flames (17-9-2: 36 pts.) vs. Wild (15-10-2: 32 pts.)
7 p.m. MT | TV: Sportsnet West| Radio: Sportsnet 960 The FAN

Season Series: 0-0-0

All-Time Regular-Season Series Record vs. Wild: 47-27-4-11

Flames Home Record: 8-3-2

Wild Road Record: 7-6-0

Current leading scorers:

Flames

Goals: Sean Monahan (17)

Wild

Goals: Zach Parise (13)

US
The Flames are coming off arguably their most impressive victory of the year, digging out of a 4-1 hole against the Blue Jackets in Columbus by scoring five second-period goals en route to a 1980s-esque 9-6 win. Johnny and Mony led the goal-scoring parade with a pair each, both adding a couple of assists for good measure. TJ Brodie , Austin Czarnik , Elias Lindholm , Noah Hanifin and Matthew Tkachuk also lit the lamp. David Rittich started in net, making 11 saves on 14 first-period shots but was replaced by Mike Smith to start the second, the latter turning aside 13 of the 16 shots he faced in relief … The victory was Calgary's third straight win. During that time, they have outscored the opposition 16-9 and now have a +18 goal differential on the season, tops in the Pacific and second only to Nashville and Colorado (+23) in the Western Conference … The Flames have been great at home so far this season posting a record of 8-3-2 and have picked up points in five straight contests. Tkachuk has 22 of his 32 points at home this season while Gaudreau has 19 of his 35 points on Saddledome ice. The Flames will play five more home games before the Christmas break.

THEM
The Wild have lost three of their last four, snapping a three-game losing skid with a 3-2 win over the Canucks in Vancouver on Tuesday. All three of their tallies came on the powerplay, including two in a 55-second span during the second period. Ryan Suter tied it at two with the Wild on a two-man powerplay and then Jason Zucker scored the eventual game-winner. "When you get a 5-on-3 opportunity, you want to make sure you are taking advantage of it and we did that," Zucker told NHL.com. "You want to make sure in any game you are winning the special teams battle. Our penalty-kill did a really nice job on all their powerplays (3-for-3) and we capitalized on all three of our powerplays." ... Minny is 4-6-0 in their last 10 games and is just one game above .500 on the road, sitting at 7-6 ... The Wild also continues a stretch of five consecutive games against a Canadian team.

US vs. THEM
This is the first of three meetings between the clubs. They face off again Dec. 15 in St. Paul and Mar. 2 at the Scotiabank Saddledome … Last season the Wild got the better of their three-game set, winning 4-2 in Calgary and 2-1 in a shootout at home. The Flames took the other tilt 3-2 in overtime on the road.

THIS, THAT & THE OTHER
This: The Flames are the only team in the NHL to have four players at or over the 30-point mark: Gaudreau leads the way with 35 points (12G - 23A), Monahan is next with 33 points (17G - 16A), then Tkachuk with his 32 points (13G - 19A), and lastly Lindholm - in his first year with the Flames - has 30 points (13G - 17A) … That: Gaudreau and Monahan are 16th and 17th, respectively, all-time in franchise scoring with 323 and 314 points … The Other: The Flames have scored five-or-more goals in a period four times this season. The other 30 teams in the NHL have combined to achieve that three times.

PLAYERS TO WATCH
Flames: D Noah Hanifin

Hanifin has been getting involved offensively more lately, scoring against Columbus and recording an assist in the win over Chicago for two points in his last two outings. He's averaging 20:28 of ice time per outing this season and has three goals and 13 points in 28 tilts.

Wild: RW Mikael Granlund

Granlund is the stick that stirs the team's offensive drink, leading the Wild with 17 assists this season. He has four in his last two games, including setting up the game-winner against the Canucks.

Link: https://www.nhl.com/flames/news/5-th...ld/c-302641284
Old 12-06-2018, 09:27 AM   #4
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hopefully, the boys can keep it rolling tonight, Ducks continue to win and the Sharks appear to have righted the ship, Vegas is also starting to look like the Vegas of last year.

Go Flames Go!
The Following User Says Thank You to dash_pinched For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2018, 09:35 AM   #5
EVERLAST
Franchise Player

Location: https://homestars.com/companies/2808346-keith-my-furnace-guy
Exp:

Yep. Let's keep winning so we don't have to look up in the standings or look in the rear view mirror and worry.
Points points points fellas.
Old 12-06-2018, 09:50 AM   #6
Monahan For Mayor
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Wonder who gets the start tonight. Thinking smith mite have took back his net for the time being.
The Following User Says Thank You to Monahan For Mayor For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2018, 09:50 AM   #7
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:
Default There is a game tonight, it's at 7pm, it's a home game and it's against the Minnesot-

I can’t decide who I think should start tonight. On the one hand, Rittich has played better of the two goalies at home, and if there is a split I think Smith might be good to draw in against the team he shut-out in October. On the other hand, Smith has now won four straight and has been looking more comfortable, but it would also be great to see Rittich rebound, find his game after some stumbles, and get another win.

What to do? I’m glad I am not the coach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Old 12-06-2018, 09:55 AM   #8
puckedoff
First Line Centre

Exp:

Hanifin and Monahan for Hanafin and Monohan straight up, but it has to happen now to make sense.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to puckedoff For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2018, 09:55 AM   #9
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think I would start Big Save Dave tonight, he probably wants to get that bad taste out of his mouth from his performance in Columbus. Smith has to be feeling a heck of a lot better stringing together a few wins, so give him the night off that he expected to get last game.
Old 12-06-2018, 09:56 AM   #10
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

I wonder if it depends on how they have the back to back lined up this weekend. If they have Smith in against the Oilers then he likely gets the start tonight and vice versa.
Old 12-06-2018, 09:59 AM   #11
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:
Default There is a game tonight, it's at 7pm, it's a home game and it's against the Minnesot-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
I wonder if it depends on how they have the back to back lined up this weekend. If they have Smith in against the Oilers then he likely gets the start tonight and vice versa.

In the back-to-back I think I would put Smith in against Nashville, and Rittich in Edmonton. Both goalies play teams they have beaten already this year.

Quote:
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2018, 09:59 AM   #12
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
I can’t decide who I think should start tonight. On the one hand, Rittich has played better of the two goalies at home, and if there is a split I think Smith might be good to draw in against the team he shut-out in October. On the other hand, Smith has now won four straight and has been looking more comfortable, but it would also be great to see Rittich rebound, find his game after some stumbles, and get another win.

What to do? I’m glad I am not the coach.

Samesies

I like Rittich against Edmonton. They always come to play against Calgary, so I think we need a goalie that can stop the scoring chances that they're able to muster. Most importantly, the goalie that can make a big save after 10 minutes of standing around.

Nashville is tough... as you want your better goalie, but Smith's last game against Nashville was his best year. And hell, who is the better goalie in December?

Tonight could be the lighter of the 3, but you could also look at the re-match on the 15th... and we play STL the night after that. So... Smith against STL means Rittich against MIN... and giving him familiarity with the team = Rittich tonight?

Duo's are tough!
Old 12-06-2018, 10:00 AM   #13
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Taking my Dad to this one tonight. Hope the boys pull off the big win!

I have a pretty mediocre 4-3-2 record when seeing them live this year 4-2-2 at the Dome. That needs to improve.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2018, 10:02 AM   #14
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
In the back-to-back I think I would put Smith in against Nashville, and Rittich in Edmonton. Both goalies play teams they have beaten already this year.

That makes sense, in which case Rittich would go tonight
Old 12-06-2018, 10:10 AM   #15
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Taking my Dad to this one tonight. Hope the boys pull off the big win!

I have a pretty mediocre 4-3-2 record when seeing them live this year 4-2-2 at the Dome. That needs to improve.
I'm taking my wife tonight, and currently sport a 3-0-0 record this year, along with like a 15-3-2 record-ish the last 2 years. I would expect improvement on your record tonight!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2018, 10:16 AM   #16
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
That makes sense, in which case Rittich would go tonight
I think this is how I am leaning, yes. And for what it's worth Peters has more often than not started the same goalie I would start for games this year.

Quote:
Old 12-06-2018, 10:33 AM   #17
locsofblu
First Line Centre

Exp:

Hopefully Rittich starts tonight. We all know how well Smith plays at home.
Old 12-06-2018, 10:34 AM   #18
Jore
First Line Centre

Exp:

Pat Steinberg

Verified account

@Fan960Steinberg
2m2 minutes ago
More
Projected #Flames tonight vs. Minnesota:

Gaudreau-Monahan-Lindholm
Tkachuk-Backlund-Bennett
Mangiapane-Jankowski-Neal
Lomberg-Ryan-Hathaway

Giordano-Brodie
Hanifin-Hamonic
Kylington-Andersson

Smith

not a fan of smith at home or lomberg in over czarnik who sccored
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jore For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2018, 10:36 AM   #19
kukkudo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Why is Czarnik out over an AHL player that brings nothing. Oh well get the W.
Old 12-06-2018, 10:37 AM   #20
stemit14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Very strange that Czarnik is sitting tonight. He scored a beautiful, hard-working goal the other night and getting him going would be a big boost to depth scoring.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to stemit14 For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread