Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-20-2018, 04:49 PM   #121
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

With headlights and tail lights, what is the proper method? Flashing or just steady on? Or when do I even use a headlight?
Old 08-20-2018, 04:57 PM   #122
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tail lights always flashing for me.

At twilight, probably headlight flashing. When dark, steady on (though if riding on well lit two way street I'd probably opt for flashing if it's possible cars will be turning across)
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to powderjunkie For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2018, 05:20 PM   #123
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicat View Post
With headlights and tail lights, what is the proper method?
Certainly not the best, but absolutely the most common:
Headlight flashing at maximum lumens. While on the pathway, facing on-coming rush hour traffic on Memorial. Try it out, apparently it's awesome.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownhillGoat For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2018, 07:00 PM   #124
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tail light always flashing. I hate seeing flashing headlights, and I don't ride to work to pretend to be at a disco party(to early for that) so I prefer steady. I don't think their is much benefit to visibility for a flashing headlight, just annoyance. I find the best item for safety is a head mounted light that you can point at unaware drivers and pedestrians. And bunnies.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2018, 08:27 PM   #125
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
I’m currently building up my steel bike and need to decide between Shimano 105 and SRAM Rival 1X. I was all set to go with the 1X, as I like the more streamlined/cleaner setup. But when I test drove a bike with it, the gear changes felt noticably clunky and loud in comparison to the smoother Shimano. Not necessarily a deal-breaker, I was just expecting it to feel more refined.

To those who have a 1x setup, is that something that bothers you over the long-term? Is the Force 1X noticeably more refined?

I have Rival on a cross bike and don't like it. I also have a gravel bike with Force 1 and it works well. It doesn't make the clunk like rival does.
Shimano doesn't have a dedicated 1x road drivetrain, however they just came out with an Ultegra RX rear derailleur with a clutch like they have on their mtn bike rear derailleurs. This would work well with a 1x setup. Problem is, it still maxes out at 34 teeth. You could go with a nice XT rear derailleur to get the range.
bossy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bossy22 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2018, 08:44 PM   #126
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I don't ride to work to pretend to be at a disco partys.
"I installed this switch so you could turn the lights on and off. Not so you could have light switch raves. "
Old 08-20-2018, 09:20 PM   #127
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossy22 View Post
I have Rival on a cross bike and don't like it. I also have a gravel bike with Force 1 and it works well. It doesn't make the clunk like rival does.
Shimano doesn't have a dedicated 1x road drivetrain, however they just came out with an Ultegra RX rear derailleur with a clutch like they have on their mtn bike rear derailleurs. This would work well with a 1x setup. Problem is, it still maxes out at 34 teeth. You could go with a nice XT rear derailleur to get the range.
Thanks, sounds like a need to try to get my hands on a Force 1 setup to see how it sounds. Otherwise, the Shimano alternative may be it.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 09:20 PM   #128
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

I should mention that I'm very cognisant of where my headlight is pointing, especially when blinking (that is to say, downward)
The Following User Says Thank You to powderjunkie For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2018, 09:31 PM   #129
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

So for courtesy sake keep it aimed low? I guess it's more for visibility than actual aiding me in seeing?
Old 08-20-2018, 09:42 PM   #130
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicat View Post
So for courtesy sake keep it aimed low? I guess it's more for visibility than actual aiding me in seeing?
No aiding in seeing is fine.

Most folks thing aimed to the sky helps them see. Like fog lights on clear days.
Old 08-20-2018, 09:54 PM   #131
M*A*S*H 4077
Franchise Player

Exp:

does anyone here ride a Giant Trance or Reign? I’m looking at upgrading and these are the two that have caught my eye. Any opinions on either of those for the trails we’ve got on the area here?
M*A*S*H 4077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 10:41 PM   #132
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

I find it's not at all hard to give it a quick flick downward when someone is coming towards me...not much different than clicking off brights on a 2 lane highway...but I'm probably overly cautious about it
Old 08-20-2018, 11:16 PM   #133
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just say no to strobing front lights.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to habernac For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2018, 09:43 AM   #134
worth
Franchise Player

Exp:

I usually run solid on both front and rear. In Germany it is illegal to have a flashing light on a bicycle. Granted, their infrastructure is different than ours and the use of dynamos are much more widespread, but interesting to see what European countries default to.

I'm trying to find some data on the effects of strobe vs steady. It seems to come down to the fact that strobe get attention faster than a solid light, however, it makes it harder for people to judge your distance and speed, so there is a trade off here.

Bit of info here: https://bicycles.stackexchange.com/q...-a-steady-beam
worth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to worth For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2018, 09:44 AM   #135
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by M*A*S*H 4077 View Post
does anyone here ride a Giant Trance or Reign? I’m looking at upgrading and these are the two that have caught my eye. Any opinions on either of those for the trails we’ve got on the area here?
Think the Trance is better option for around here. Have 2 friends who have them and really happy. I had another friend who originally had a Reign, but sold it, and bought a Trance.

Just my opinion though.
Old 08-21-2018, 09:49 AM   #136
wireframe
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by worth View Post
I usually run solid on both front and rear. In Germany it is illegal to have a flashing light on a bicycle. Granted, their infrastructure is different than ours and the use of dynamos are much more widespread, but interesting to see what European countries default to.

I'm trying to find some data on the effects of strobe vs steady. It seems to come down to the fact that strobe get attention faster than a solid light, however, it makes it harder for people to judge your distance and speed, so there is a trade off here.

Bit of info here: https://bicycles.stackexchange.com/q...-a-steady-beam
Great information. I think that it's also worth noting that the battery lasts much longer on flashing lights. That's the main reason that I keep my back light flashing.
wireframe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 11:29 AM   #137
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by M*A*S*H 4077 View Post

The Reign is overkill for around here IMO. The Trance is plenty of bike for here. My friend just bought one and she seems really happy with it. Tough to beat the price point.
bossy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bossy22 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2018, 02:01 PM   #138
M*A*S*H 4077
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cral12 View Post
Think the Trance is better option for around here. Have 2 friends who have them and really happy. I had another friend who originally had a Reign, but sold it, and bought a Trance.

Just my opinion though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bossy22 View Post
The Reign is overkill for around here IMO. The Trance is plenty of bike for here. My friend just bought one and she seems really happy with it. Tough to beat the price point.
Thanks guys, that confirms what I was thinking
M*A*S*H 4077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 04:46 PM   #139
phaneuf_train
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Where is the best place to sell a bike? Kijiji? Pinkbike? Do bike shops buy used bikes? I have a hard time trusting people in this city when it comes to people coming to look at my bike.
phaneuf_train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 07:35 PM   #140
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kijiji, pinkbike and possibly mtbr.com. If there are shops buying used bikes I have not heard of them.

Please note that there is currently a guy going around calagary, taking bikes for a test ride and not coming back. Look at the stolen bikes calagary facebook page.

If you list your bike and a buyer wants to take it for a spin, get his car keys and make sure they start the vehicle or better yet go for a ride with him. Some sellers suggest meeting at a police station. Make sure you are protected.

This one guy has seeming scored a couple of high end mtn bikes this way. To me he is a real sob with a huge sack to waltz up to someone’s house knowing he is going to pull this stunt.