Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-18-2021, 12:41 PM   #2321
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by browna View Post
Interesting how the "rumor" is not widely publicized any more from credible outlets (if it ever was on credible outlets, not just a tweet).

But, mission accomplished for whoever immediately made sure that the CESC got painted as the greedy bad guys with, which is still at this point, comprised of seemingly half truths/not the full story.
And to compound matters you had that idiot at the Canadian Taxpayers Federation (or whatever it’s called), and the idiots at CTV who gave him airtime, foaming at the mouth repeating the misinformation.
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Manhattanboy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2021, 01:24 PM   #2322
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by browna View Post
Interesting how the "rumor" is not widely publicized any more from credible outlets (if it ever was on credible outlets, not just a tweet).

But, mission accomplished for whoever immediately made sure that the CESC got painted as the greedy bad guys with, which is still at this point, comprised of seemingly half truths/not the full story.
I feel that with the narrative of this story to the general public has been seemly amicable at this point between both sides after close to a week after the annoucment. The CMLC statement that CSEC used for the email to season ticketholders, and Nenshi's comments indicates that both sides are understanding that there's still some things to work out, but are both interested in finding the best deal to satisfy both parties.

If it wasn't for the prices of materials currently, we probably would be seeing the design and formal announcement of groundbreaking date now.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Joborule For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2021, 01:33 PM   #2323
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
But Houston! We need to cave now! Houston!
I’m sure you meant “RIGHT NOW”.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 01:38 PM   #2324
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joborule View Post
I feel that with the narrative of this story to the general public has been seemly amicable at this point between both sides after close to a week after the annoucment. The CMLC statement that CSEC used for the email to season ticketholders, and Nenshi's comments indicates that both sides are understanding that there's still some things to work out, but are both interested in finding the best deal to satisfy both parties.

If it wasn't for the prices of materials currently, we probably would be seeing the design and formal announcement of groundbreaking date now.
It has.

But, the last x number of pages of this thread has been predicated on the fact that the leaker, with some agenda, rolled out some half truths, and has been taken here as gospel.

As such, opinion and debate is once again going down the rabbit holes of Calgary as a world class city, relocation, fan loyalty, ungrateful ownership, and other worn out noise, and people have become further entrenched and more aggressive in their prior opinions...all based on just a snip of information and not even close to full context of the story.

Which is part of the reason undoubtedly that Council had voted not to divulge things publically on capital projects, because jumping to extreme conclusions from the need for further discussion, in such a sensitive society and social media society, would force stakeholders to have to take and defend unnecessary sides in the media. That would waste time risk the conversation and negotiation, grabbed hold of by the media and into the public domian, going off track, when both the city and the Csec prefer to do their completely understandable ongoing negotiation, without the harmful distraction that then the spectacle it would get turned onto...again, as this thread clearly shows.

Last edited by browna; 04-18-2021 at 01:41 PM.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to browna For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2021, 01:07 AM   #2325
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
LOL. What makes you think the NHL thinks it can get NFL deals?

CAD National deal is worth $350-400M USD per year depending on exchange rate; we'll use the lower rate and say avg. $50M per team (though of course TOR/MTL is the real $$).

New US Deal is $400M, let's be generous and say the other package bumps to $600M USD per year. For 25 teams, that's $24M per team per year (of course NYR, PHI, BOS, CHI, DET, LAK are the real $$$).

Spoiler!

I think you'd have to get pretty screwy to find a way to find the 4 weakest Canadian teams generating less TV rights value than 15-17 of the US teams.
I am not sure that Canada losing one of the small markets makes that much of an impact on a TV deal. There would still enough games to fill the air waves. If one small market Canadian market makes a big difference, then they are stupid to not have put a team back in Quebec City.

The NHL is all about the future. Do the {insert team here} have a much better future if they were relocated here {insert city here}? If so, I doubt anyone tries too hard to stop it if that was the will of the owners.

Last edited by FlamesAddiction; 04-19-2021 at 10:43 AM.
FlamesAddiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 08:51 AM   #2326
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I think that team(Florida) still ends up in Quebec. There is just so much money going into Quebec and their economy will take off after COVID.
Flamenspiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 09:49 AM   #2327
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
So New Era hates Sam Bennett, the city of Calgary and Daryl Sutter.

The more you know!!
Come on, you have been here long enough to know why New Era is even here.

dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 10:00 AM   #2328
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mull View Post
So:
  • The Flames relocation threat is empty
  • The CTV leak about the Flames ask may be wrong, if Davidson is telling the truth.
This reporter does not know territory rights. Territory rights are within 50 miles of a current NHL team. Quebec City is 158 miles from Montreal, Montreal has zero control over Quebec City or the return of the Nordiques. I am not saying it is a possibility but Montreal has no say at all.
Old 04-19-2021, 10:02 AM   #2329
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamenspiel View Post
I think that team(Florida) still ends up in Quebec. There is just so much money going into Quebec and their economy will take off after COVID.
But you know why the Panthers have stayed all these years though, right? Hint: It's not because they think they can turn their dismal crowds of the last few decades into a strong fan base.

Look at the arena deal.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 10:04 AM   #2330
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
IMO Transplant, it is you who has arguments not rooted in the facts of the day. You're blinded by your fear of losing the team- these are just the now totally empty threats of an entitled billionaire trying to squeeze us all for a dime. The team has lost leverage since this deal was inked.
From what I have seen from posting history I don't think T99 has any fear of the Flames leaving, I don't think he honestly cares. Now if it were the GB Packers...
Old 04-19-2021, 10:22 AM   #2331
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
But you know why the Panthers have stayed all these years though, right? Hint: It's not because they think they can turn their dismal crowds of the last few decades into a strong fan base.

Look at the arena deal.
Okay, this has been mentioned, but why does that actually matter for keeping the Panthers if the team itself is not making much money itself though? Is the team there basically for free, and as a result they are a positive cash flow? Are they required to be there to ensure the owners of the arena don't have finical penalty? What's the deal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
From what I have seen from posting history I don't think T99 has any fear of the Flames leaving, I don't think he honestly cares. Now if it were the GB Packers...
I know the post is a joke, but I don't think the Packers are even allowed to leave.
Old 04-19-2021, 04:46 PM   #2332
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joborule View Post
Okay, this has been mentioned, but why does that actually matter for keeping the Panthers if the team itself is not making much money itself though? Is the team there basically for free, and as a result they are a positive cash flow? Are they required to be there to ensure the owners of the arena don't have finical penalty? What's the deal?
I'll have to read up on it again, but I believe in their current deal with the county, the county actually pays them like $85mil over a number of years to be there, so the city won't be on the hook for maintaining a mostly unused arena if they left, just so that a few concerts can come by per year.

I think there's some weird out clauses in the contract too, where there's heavy penalties for moving the Panthers unless they reach a certain level of losses. Like I said, I'll have to re-read the deal, I may have some or all of that wrong.
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2021, 05:14 PM   #2333
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

Broward County guarantees them revenue.

"Does a great job covering the Flames" - Elliotte Friedman
Freeway is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Freeway For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2021, 02:57 PM   #2334
Jordan!
Jordan!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bumface View Post
Regardless of how many US markets that are economically more attractive than Calgary, you have to correct for the fact that the vast majority of people don't give a crap about hockey south of the border.
Yeah, probably because it's the entertainment capital of the entire universe with god knows how many major sports leagues, places to visit, and things to do.

In Canada it's NHL and really little else sports wise. Sorry, Blue Jays and Raptors bandwagons don't count.

Don't get my started on the lameness that is the CFL.
Jordan! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 04:40 PM   #2335
The Familia
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan! View Post
Yeah, probably because it's the entertainment capital of the entire universe with god knows how many major sports leagues, places to visit, and things to do.

In Canada it's NHL and really little else sports wise. Sorry, Blue Jays and Raptors bandwagons don't count.

Don't get my started on the lameness that is the CFL.
What makes the CFL lame? Is it because it’s not American? Is it because you have an inferiority complex? If you are going to bash the league give us a few reasons why (however contrived they will end up being).
William Jennings Trophy - 2006
The Familia is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to The Familia For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2021, 09:33 AM   #2336
Mull
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Familia View Post
What makes the CFL lame? Is it because it’s not American? Is it because you have an inferiority complex? If you are going to bash the league give us a few reasons why (however contrived they will end up being).
You asked a fair question of the poster, only to end it with an obvious predisposed bias that the responses must be contrived?

Why add that?
Mull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 10:16 AM   #2337
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mull View Post
You asked a fair question of the poster, only to end it with an obvious predisposed bias that the responses must be contrived?

Why add that?
Probably because it's Jordon. He's been doing this passive aggressive schtick towards Calgary and Canada for years.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2021, 10:28 AM   #2338
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Defence of the CFL isn't really a hill I'd die on with Jordon though, it's objectively a pretty lame league (the football is good though).
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 10:35 AM   #2339
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

The CFL surviving this decade this a genuine question now; especially due to COVID. The league is only held up by the older demographic since the younger one that they need want nothing to do with it. In the three most major cities in the country - Toronto, Montreal, and Vancouver - it's in the bottom of the league in attendance. So when people #### on the league, it's justified since it doesn't have much to stand on nowadays.

CFL has really failed in capture the youth demograph over the past couple of decades. It may be their death.
Old 04-22-2021, 10:42 AM   #2340
Jordan!
Jordan!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Probably because it's Jordon. He's been doing this passive aggressive schtick towards Calgary and Canada for years.
Nothing i said was passive aggressive. It's true. You can bash america for not making hockey its #1 interest but what I said is 100% accurate. There is more going on entertainment wise down here.

Apparently hockey isn't as important to Calgarians as I would've thought. This deal SHOULD be a slam dunk

Last edited by Jordan!; 04-22-2021 at 10:44 AM.
Jordan! is offline   Reply With Quote