Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-2013, 10:05 PM   #21
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Or Iron Man having his mask open ALL THE TIME.

Even the LEGO Iron Man in Marvel LEGO has his mask open way too much.

Anyway, saw Thor: Dark World and really enjoyed it, one of the better super hero movies.
Old 11-14-2013, 02:07 PM   #22
The Goon
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
I hate that Thor doesn't ever wear his helmet in the new movies.

I read the Chris Hemsworth campaigned against it because it was hurting his nose in fights.

The helmet is iconic to the character and I don't care if it's the Ultimates universe. To me, it looks like Batman running around without a cape.
My wife was cool with no helmet on Hemsworth, which speaks to me as to why he wasn't wearing one.
We may curse our bad luck that it's sounds like its; who's sounds like whose; they're sounds like their (and there); and you're sounds like your. But if we are grown-ups who have been through full-time education, we have no excuse for muddling them up.
The Goon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 02:19 PM   #23
19Yzerman19
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

It's also about (don't laugh) acting. It's pretty hard for RDJ to express much of anything wearing a face mask, unless you want him to wildly gesture and jerk his head around like a power ranger.
19Yzerman19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 03:11 PM   #24
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Yzerman19 View Post
It's also about (don't laugh) acting. It's pretty hard for RDJ to express much of anything wearing a face mask, unless you want him to wildly gesture and jerk his head around like a power ranger.
That's why the Green Goblin was so bad in Spiderman I. The hard mask made it impossible to show emotions. In the comics, the mask was more elastic.
troutman is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2013, 03:14 PM   #25
photon

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Yzerman19 View Post
Hugo Weaving says hi.
Old 11-14-2013, 03:24 PM   #26
19Yzerman19
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Cmon, Hugo's fantastic and can work magic just with subtle changes in tone of voice, but V for Vendetta wasn't exactly his best work...
19Yzerman19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 03:29 PM   #27
photon

Exp:

Just his best work wearing a mask the whole time

The style and character of V probably lends itself better to that kind of acting as well, but I can't help think that there was some kind of minimum face time requirement for Iron Man.
Old 11-14-2013, 08:12 PM   #28
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredr123 View Post
My son (4 years old) wants to see this flick. I've subjected him to all the Avengers, Captain America, Thor, Iron Man and even Hulk movies in the past.

Am I going to have to answer questions from the CPS about child abuse if I take my son to see this on an afternoon matinee?
My son is 4 and a certified nut when it comes to superheroes. I allow him to watch the cartoon shows but he is going to have to wait for the Hollywood stuff for a couple of more years.

Your kid didn't freak out at Red Skull in Captain America? Or the Frost Giants in Thor? He would have been what, three years old? Not my kid, he isn't that courageous.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 12:20 AM   #29
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

I enjoyed this one. I like his Asgardian sidekicks and could have seen more of them.

For sure one of the better super hero movies.

(and in the discussion of best comic book movies dont forget about the first Blade)
Old 11-18-2013, 12:51 AM   #30
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

VFV was fantastic.

The first captain america and Hugo's character there was just awful. I guess entertaining to an extent, but awful no less.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 02:01 AM   #31
Paladium
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I never really liked Thor as a character in the comics but this is one of the best marvel movies - it had a bit of everything - quite enjoyable.
Paladium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 08:39 AM   #32
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Caught it yesterday, and really enjoyed it. Thor is definitely the dark horse of these movies, no one expected anything from the first one yet it was really well done, and the sequel is even better. Little touches like Thor hanging up his hammer on the coat rack are awesome
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 10:19 AM   #33
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

What the heck was going on with Loki in this movie?

How did he NOT die? And did he kill Odin? And that whole final speech about being proud of his son was actually just Loki talking, making the scene entirely meaningless.

Also, why would the leader of the bad guys join the assault on Asgard in one of their crappy fragile scout ships? Most of those things got blown up, and the one he was in was nearly destroyed and they crashed into the building. He could've easily been killed and their whole plan would be screwed.

It was entertaining and the special effects were good but so much of it was silly and just not thought out that well. So many things not explained. The Marvel comic movies are becoming more and more ridiculous as they go along.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 12:36 AM   #34
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
What the heck was going on with Loki in this movie?

How did he NOT die? And did he kill Odin? And that whole final speech about being proud of his son was actually just Loki talking, making the scene entirely meaningless.
Loki is a sorcerer and god of mischief, he basically faked his own death to Thor and returned to Asgard as the messenger. He either killed Odin or has him imprisoned.

Throughout the movie, Loki was creating all kinds of illusions, his death being the biggest illusion.

As for the final speech, I thought it was kind of cool, perhaps it will set up a deeper bond between Thor and Loki in future movies. It has a sort of Batman and Joker type feel to the movie relationship, like they need each other.
Old 11-25-2013, 10:02 AM   #35
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

I saw this on the weekend and I really enjoyed it. Far FAR FAR better than the last two Iron Man movies and a major improvement over the first Thor.
cDnStealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 10:48 AM   #36
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 868904 View Post
Throughout the movie, Loki was creating all kinds of illusions, his death being the biggest illusion.
I like Loki as much as everyone else does and am happy he's established himself as firmly as RDJ in this universe. but to me this illusion power becomes problematic, kind of like the death curing Khan blood in Star Trek. you have a thing that was used by a character to solve a situation he was in...great, now why not just use that all the damn time? if he can effortlessly cloak himself such that nobody can tell the difference, and create such an elaborate illusion of himself getting stabbed by a monster and dying, then there'd be no reason for him to ever just be Loki.

I've read a few Thor comics and while it's clear Loki does have the chameleon magic, he doesn't use it to the point where it's like Mission Impossible and anyone could be pulling off a mask as a surprise twist. he most often just spends time talking to people and putting thoughts in their heads to direct events towards his goal; more like the first movie. I just hope they don't get lazy with this plot device and have a character unmasking themselves as Loki every 10 minutes. but now it's kind of too late, and if he doesn't continue to overuse that power we'll be wondering why not.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 06:31 PM   #37
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

I thought it was awesome. Really expanded on the whole potential universe that this Marvel crew can pull from. It was like Lord of the Rings in space.
Old 11-27-2013, 09:04 AM   #38
M*A*S*H 4077
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
I thought it was awesome. Really expanded on the whole potential universe that this Marvel crew can pull from. It was like Lord of the Rings in space.
I saw the movie last night and walked out with the same thought, "it was like LOTR in space!" (at least parts of it). Really enjoyed it, could be my favorite of the Marvel movies, however I am slightly biased as Thor has always been my favorite Marvel superhero
M*A*S*H 4077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 09:32 AM   #39
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by M*A*S*H 4077 View Post
I saw the movie last night and walked out with the same thought, "it was like LOTR in space!" (at least parts of it). Really enjoyed it, could be my favorite of the Marvel movies, however I am slightly biased as Thor has always been my favorite Marvel superhero
You probably loved "Adventures in Babysitting" then!
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Yeah_Baby For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2013, 10:17 AM   #40
M*A*S*H 4077
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't understand the reference? :/
M*A*S*H 4077 is offline   Reply With Quote