Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-03-2018, 12:17 AM   #1
gamesaver
Scoring Winger

Exp:
Default Goaltending misery

Smith would like to play 82 games a season if that was possible, I bet there was a plan to play him in every game except the second half of back-to-backs. GG has no flexibility. Can't react when Smith was obviously tired and wore down in some games. He sticks with his plan until it all crumble. I blame GG, not Smith or anyone else.

Now with Smith out, what happened to our goalies? Rittich started against some of the best teams, he had bad game against Florida, then bounced back with stellar perfomance against Boston, then was destroyed in Vegas. He lost the net to Gillies who managed to win against silly Yotes and like that matter more then the last year and half, took the crease, like the stuff had no confidence in Rittich all of a sudden. Gillies would not see NHL ice this season if Smith was healthy. HE was able to put up some good numbers against sub-par teams. But since Rittich came from Europe, he outplayed Gillies in every aspect. To think Gillies will miraculously jump over him just because they are in NHL jerseys.. Well, I say it's unprobable. Stats and numbers for either of them doesn't mean much since the sample is too small.

Now we have 2 goalies with uncertain future as both are on expiring contracts, both are nervous as they play for their future, battle each other for a spot and are under immense pressure of carrying lazy defence and impotent offense into playoffs. Rittich who lost confidence in himself after stuff did not backed him up and Gillies who is just not ready, not yet.

We did not traded for goalie, so I guess Smith is returning in few days. If not, Treliving is guilty of not addressing this issue, as much as GG is guilty of overplaying Smith even if that was a plan and Mike's wish.
gamesaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 12:31 AM   #2
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Did you really want to give up assets for a goalie though?

A bigger disaster would have been getting a rental goalie and still missing the playoffs
Old 03-03-2018, 01:06 AM   #3
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Did you really want to give up assets for a goalie though?
Last weekend, no. Things change though when your goalies look their age, at best, in these past 3 games, and the Flames got zero points this week in part due to less then average goaltending, while other teams around them all moved further away from the Flames.

Not making the playoffs is a disaster enough and these last 3 games have been devasting blows to the chances which, if went the opposite way and confidence then going into the upcoming trip, may have us all singing a different pgt thread tune right now.

I think Treliving really really wanted to pull the trigger on someone because he knows these young guys aren’t ready. Rittich looked bad before the trade deadline when pressure was on, and then it’s all on Gillies as an unproven rookie,, and he was probably was really hoping Smith would be back in time for this trip. But he’s now not, and though the asking price last weekend was a bit too steep, and, I don’t think he envisioned anyone available sticking around here past this year...but I bet he was still tempted for a pure goalie rental regardless, because Smiths injury seems very tricky to nail down, and that was known as such this time last week too.

There may be little need for Smith to come back at all and risk further setback if the Flames pooch this upcoming 3 game trip. It won’t just be goaltending now which may do them in now; it’s now the team as a whole with a pretty low feeling of themselves, after a terrible week...if Mr. Magic backup which BT gave up Mr. X for, wins the 0-0 shoooutout vs Dallas, kept Colorado at bay in the second period and gets a 4-2 win, and helped the Flames best NYR tonight in OT, the team would be feeling a lot better about itself and it’s confidence levels and it’s playoff chances going into Pitt on Monday, along with 6 more points than they have now, and a couple points up in the 1st wild card spot right now, not 3 points out of the second spot as they are.

Last edited by browna; 03-03-2018 at 01:12 AM.
browna is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 02:01 AM   #4
Redrum
First Line Centre

Exp:

I want to know who this rental goalie is that would be able to put up a shutout every single game to give the Flames a chance. I'd focus elsewhere.
Redrum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Redrum For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2018, 02:16 AM   #5
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrum View Post
I want to know who this rental goalie is that would be able to put up a shutout every single game to give the Flames a chance. I'd focus elsewhere.
.885 sv% since Smith hurt.

The weakness of some these goals, certainly from a team used to Smith and his play this year, has an effect on the team’s confidence, as does the timing of the goals which can zap momentum, and give the other team hope and momentum, or, have the Flames feeling they have to limit chances against, which throws off the way they play...all of this changes the dynamic of the team and the flow of the game; an element the Flames rarely had to deal with this year with Smith rock solid behind them.
browna is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 02:23 AM   #6
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by browna View Post
.885 sv% since Smith hurt.

The weakness of some these goals, certainly from a team used to Smith and his play this year, has an effect on the team’s confidence, as does the timing of the goals which can zap momentum, and give the other team hope and momentum, or, have the Flames feeling they have to limit chances against, which throws off the way they play...all of this changes the dynamic of the team and the flow of the game; an element the Flames rarely had to deal with this year with Smith rock solid behind them.
I understand this and at the same time, in particular, last game the team let Rittich down. The first two goals - maybe he could have had one, but the next two were certainly unstoppable.

Goalies do let in goals, especially when the D lets the opposition have pretty pretty unstoppable easy goals
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 03:20 AM   #7
Redrum
First Line Centre

Exp:

It works both ways. Like when MacKinnon had time to take a nap before skating into a perfect shooting position before ripping a perfect shot past Rittich. Or the embarrassing goal on the 4 on 4. That's 100% the team and of course his #s take the hit.

He wasn't good in that game sure but I don't know how you'd expect anyone but maybe Smith at the top of his game to do much better with a pathetic team effort like that.
Redrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 03:45 AM   #8
Psytic
First Line Centre

Exp:

Doesnt matter we cant score any way.
Psytic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 04:18 AM   #9
madmike
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Goalies can’t score so it doesn’t really matter. Trading for another goalie would have been a waste.
madmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 06:56 AM   #10
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Goalies can score. Ours just never have.
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 07:20 AM   #11
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason14h View Post
Goalies can score. Ours just never have.
I think it's asking a lot for the goalie to have to put out a shutout and score a goal to win (eg vs Dallas).
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 07:22 AM   #12
calgarygringo
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Don't forget 3 things on this story not just goalies.
One and it was talked about when he first came here is that he has a history of injuries every year. Even the radio guys talked about it at the beginning that it was the unknown and a good backup more be more important than we think. I believe that exact thing has caught the flames.
The other issue is many of these games like last night the flames are not scoring either. I am not suggesting track meet hockey but only scoring 1 goal is not going to win a lot of games either. We really don't have snipers per say. Several 40 plus shot nights and last night 50 and no goals. How many of those 50 were what I would call sniping shots? Many were just mediocre shots and the king was able to grab most no problem.
Our play coming back from the other teams end needs massive improvement. Look at all the times last night they were free wheeling all the way up and hardly got touched. Same in many other games.
Yes the Mike Smith the goalie would have helped but they didn't win every game either when he was there and he stole a lot of games too and as you know thieves eventually get caught and then reality kicks in.
Bottom line the Flames are nothing better than a middle of the road team and they have bamboozled everyone to think we are a playoff team looking to challenge for the cup soon but we are not even close yet with the players we have. Tre has to find real players not these washed up guys he picks up off waivers as they are doing nothing to help the situation.
calgarygringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 08:41 AM   #13
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Was there any goalie out there available who would be better than what we have? The only name I heard was robin Lehner
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 08:53 AM   #14
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jon Gillies starts:

.889, 3GA

.923, 2GA

.966 1GA

.946, 2GA

119 shots against
8 goals against

.933 Save % through 4 starts.

2.00 GAA through 4 starts.

2-2-0

When Gillies is in net - the Flames are losing because they can't score. Through 4 starts, the Flames scored 5 goals, 5 goals, 0 goals, 1 goal. The Flames won the games where they scored more than 1 goal, and lost when they scored 1 or less goals.

Blaming Gillies is a baffling mischaracterization of his play through 4 starts.
ComixZone is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2018, 08:55 AM   #15
Scooter
Scoring Winger

Exp:
Default gOALIE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
Was there any goalie out there available who would be better than what we have? The only name I heard was robin Lehner
Injury prone as well and overrated!!
Scooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 09:25 AM   #16
blender
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
Mrazek?
blender is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 09:33 AM   #17
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Gillies has a career 92% in the NHL, and he's only 24. Let's not go crazy here
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 09:39 AM   #18
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blender View Post
Mrazek?
Yeah he fits. And cost a 3rd and a 4th, so reasonable. Though perhaps Detroit would want more trading inter conference.
I'm not a fan of his but certainly that is a name that was available.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 09:45 AM   #19
blender
First Line Centre

Exp:

Not that I am saying BT should have gone after another goalie. Perhaps he gambled on our rookies or perhaps he knew this squad was lacking and a stop gap goalie wouldn't help enough . Who knows? There were options available though, no doubt.
blender is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 10:11 AM   #20
Pointman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Treliving did acquire a veteran back-up in case Gillies and Rittich were not ready. His name is Eddie Lack. If The had to spend to get another back-up at the deadline, it would make the Lack signing even more silly. Not yo mention, The could miss again.
Pointman is offline   Reply With Quote