Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-02-2017, 08:57 AM   #41
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Why is the Pahrump thing a clue? I missed anything to do with that.

I did watch a presser with the Mesquite PD and the spokesman said the home where this jackass lived was in a quiet, low crime area.

His family has stated they are completely shocked he was involved in anything like this.

He used to work for a defense contractor, was known as a pilot who owned 2 planes.

This is one of the odder shootings as to motivations we have seen. (At least to this point)
I have to backtrack a bit. Turns out he's from Mesquite, which is quite different from Pahrump in many ways, but similar in others. But not sure why he was IDed as being from Pahrump. Pahrump and Mesquite are both exurbs of Las Vegas and in the same county, but literally about three hours apart.

I said it was a clue originally because Pahrump is about 45 minutes outside of Las Vegas filled with nut jobs of every stripe and persuasion but the main thread linking them together is that almost all of them hate Las Vegas, but have to live near Las Vegas. So racists, homophobes, people who think the moon landing was faked. The whole stripe of insanity and right-wing paranoia. If you've ever listened to the Art Bell show late night on QR77, that's where it originates from.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 08:57 AM   #42
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Why is the Pahrump thing a clue? I missed anything to do with that.

I did watch a presser with the Mesquite PD and the spokesman said the home where this jackass lived was in a quiet, low crime area.

His family has stated they are completely shocked he was involved in anything like this.

He used to work for a defense contractor, was known as a pilot who owned 2 planes.

This is one of the odder shootings as to motivations we have seen. (At least to this point)
It's also odd that he targeted a country music concert, as the audience would be mostly white and Christian. That seems to rule out race as a motivation too.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 09:02 AM   #43
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
I have to backtrack a bit. Turns out he's from Mesquite, which is quite different from Pahrump in many ways, but similar in others.
I see...
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 09:06 AM   #44
Phil1111
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Incorrect. It's extremely hard to acquire a fully automatic weapon, even in the USA. In Canada, it's basically impossible.

Oft times people confuse semi-automatic, i.e.: the AR-15 style rifles used at Sandy Hook, and fully autos that look like AR-15s, but are typically only used by the military.

Semi-auto does not equal fully auto, despite how a weapon looks.

Having said all that, it doesn't really matter. An AR-15 is just as deadly, and America's addiction to cool ass looking firearms is damaging to their society and culture.
In the US as in Canada only, ONLY the frame, the lower, is registered. As such, every other part can be ordered, by mail, openly. Both in Canada and in the US. If you had checked out the link posted. It makes reference to two methodologies to manufacture receivers(the actual core of the firearm). Both of which. That being CNC milling centers and metal printing technology. Allows the willing to circumvent every law restricting ownership.

For a AR-15 the only substantial difference is the width of the milling cut, the metal above the trigger group. Which allows separately manufactured auto sears to drop in.Converting semi-auto operation to full auto operation.

Everything that I converted to bold type from your quote I agree with.

An auto weapon from the 34th story of a building isn't necessarily more lethal than a semi auto weapon. It takes substantial training to accurately shoot fully automatic weapons. The shootout in 1997 in North Hollywood where bank robbers with AK-47 fully automatic weapons is a good example. They fired hundreds of rounds, with little effect.

IMO this shooter was deranged, had access to many weapons and was skilled in their use. Hence the unfortunate result.
Phil1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 09:09 AM   #45
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not that it matters but Mesquite and Pahrump are in different counties. I always thought Pahrump was crazy town and Mesquite was just a sleepy gaming outpost for Vegas burn outs.

It's interesting to hear the police speak around the question of terror. "He was from here (Nevada)". " We don't know his motivation yet". As if it actually matters.

I hate to admit it but whenever I go to large events it always strikes me how was it would be to take out hundreds of people with the right gun and position. It hasn't felt safe in Vegas for a while.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 09:17 AM   #46
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Weird how two windows are blown out that arent exactly side by side.

I dont know Mandalay Bay's layout but to me it looks like he was shooting from 2 different rooms and very different angles. Almost like he could shoot from one spot, forcing people to move one direction...then move to the other spot knowing they would be corralled in that spot for easy targeting. Heinous stuff if true.

Last edited by transplant99; 10-02-2017 at 09:36 AM.
transplant99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 09:20 AM   #47
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Former lockheed employee. Explains his interest in planes/flying.
Old 10-02-2017, 09:21 AM   #48
rain_e
Scoring Winger

Exp:

28 year old Alberta woman is one of the victims.
rain_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 09:22 AM   #49
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Incorrect. It's extremely hard to acquire a fully automatic weapon, even in the USA. In Canada, it's basically impossible.

Oft times people confuse semi-automatic, i.e.: the AR-15 style rifles used at Sandy Hook, and fully autos that look like AR-15s, but are typically only used by the military.

Semi-auto does not equal fully auto, despite how a weapon looks.

Having said all that, it doesn't really matter. An AR-15 is just as deadly, and America's addiction to cool ass looking firearms is damaging to their society and culture.
It also doesn't help that the gun lobby (NRA) actively indoctrinates gun owners into violence. Liberals everywhere are coming for you and you have to fight it with the "Clenched fist of truth"

Last edited by FlameOn; 10-02-2017 at 09:25 AM.
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FlameOn For This Useful Post:
Old 10-02-2017, 09:23 AM   #50
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Terrible tragedy.

I'm flying to Vegas to see a concert in less than 3 weeks. I anticipate crazy high security.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 09:26 AM   #51
Bawbag
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryblood View Post
Nevada law disagrees with you.

This is terrorism.

"The state's statute says an “act of terrorism means any act that involves the use or attempted use of sabotage, coercion or violence which is intended to cause great bodily harm or death to the general population”.
You are pathetic.
Bawbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 09:27 AM   #52
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryblood View Post
Nevada law disagrees with you.

This is terrorism.

"The state's statute says an “act of terrorism means any act that involves the use or attempted use of sabotage, coercion or violence which is intended to cause great bodily harm or death to the general population”.
Well, that's silly, but it's not the first time that a legal definition hasn't matched the common usage of the term. I concede the point.

In other news, no word on whether or not this is complete bull####, so take it with a grain of salt, but...

This sort of confusion is why we wait for the facts before assuming anything.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 09:30 AM   #53
Bawbag
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
Do hotels even check bags? If for example one of us walked into the Westin and checked in, the porter would just take our bags up to our room.

I suspect when all this is unpacked you'll find out this was economic terrorism. The fact that this guy lived in Pahrump is a big clue.
They don't. You can just walk in and out of hotels as you please
Bawbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 09:31 AM   #54
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Just watched an interview with the shooters brother.

Dude is completely dumbfounded. Just has zero explanation for anything thats happened. Literally flabbergasted.

Says his brother not religious, no affiliations with anything he knew of.... "just a guy".

Feel sorry for the guy. Just another victim of this. Trying to make sense out of something that makes none at all.
Old 10-02-2017, 09:31 AM   #55
Phil1111
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bawbag View Post
You are pathetic.
No just confused and trying to define an action to meet predetermined ideas.

Terrorism is typically defined as the use of violence for a POLITICAL objective. Regardless of how anyone in LE, politician, etc. defines. it.

i.e. the IS flag in the vehicle of the Edmonton incident suggests terrorism. In the absence of other evidence the LV shooter is looking merely deranged.

Last edited by Phil1111; 10-02-2017 at 09:35 AM.
Phil1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 09:35 AM   #56
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil1111 View Post
No just confused and trying to define an action to meet predetermined ideas.
Look, I'm the guy he posted that in rebuttal to, but he's not "trying to define" anything, he's just referring to a statute. If Nevada law says the guy's a terrorist then he's a terrorist for all practical purposes and it's not wrong to call him such, regardless of whether he meets the usual colloquial definition of that term.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 09:38 AM   #57
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Look, I'm the guy he posted that in rebuttal to, but he's not "trying to define" anything, he's just referring to a statute. If Nevada law says the guy's a terrorist then he's a terrorist for all practical purposes and it's not wrong to call him such, regardless of whether he meets the usual colloquial definition of that term.

Agreed.

This is terrorism by any other name.
Old 10-02-2017, 09:39 AM   #58
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

58 dead now...from the sheriff.

515 injured.
Old 10-02-2017, 09:41 AM   #59
DiracSpike
First Line Centre

Exp:

As if the act needs to be branded as "terrorism" for it to be anything less than a horrible tragedy and this guy being a complete piece of garbage.
DiracSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 09:44 AM   #60
AltaGuy
AltaGuy has a magnetic personality and exudes positive energy, which is infectious to those around him. He has an unparalleled ability to communicate with people, whether he is speaking to a room of three or an arena of 30,000.

Exp:

Just horrible. Feel terribly for anyone affected.

The post-facts world in the US is frightening in the extreme, and people will continue to die because of it on larger and larger scales. The NRA "team" is disgusting. And - yes - Sandy Hook was the end of any hope that it will get better.
AltaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote