Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-05-2017, 11:14 PM   #181
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

^ The correct CBA reference for Fox leaving college early is section 8.6 c (ii) as Fox was drafted at 18 and became a college player before the first June 1 following his selection:

http://www.nhl.com/nhl/en/v3/ext/CBA...A_2013_CBA.pdf

Quote:
If a Player drafted at age 18 or 19 is a bona fide college student at the time
of his selection in the Entry Draft, or becomes a bona fide college student
prior to the first June 1 following his selection in the Entry Draft, and does
not remain a bona fide college student through the graduation of his
college class, his drafting Club shall retain exclusive rights for the
negotiation of his services until the later of: (a) the fourth June 1 following
his selection in the Entry Draft, or (b) thirty (30) days after NHL Central
Registry receives notice that the Player is no longer a bona fide college
student; provided that if the Player ceases to be a bona fide college student
on or after January 1 of an academic year and the Player: (1) is in his
fourth year of college and has commenced his fourth year of NCAA
eligibility, or (2) is in his fourth year of college and is scheduled to
graduate from college at the end of his fourth year, then in the
circumstances described in (1) or (2), the Club shall retain the exclusive
right of negotiation for such Player's services through and including the
August 15 following the date on which he ceases to be a bona fide college
student. The Club need not make a Bona Fide Offer to such Player to
retain such rights.
so essentially if he leaves college early Flames will hold his rights until the later of June 1st, 2020 or 30 days after he stops being a college student. The caveat being that if he leaves school early in his 4th year after January 1st then the team will still retain his rights until August 15, 2020.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2017, 11:31 PM   #182
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Par View Post
Who does Adam Fox remind you of? Who does he comparable to?
For me it's Brian Rafalski.

But in terms of college performance/statistics as a true freshman the only thing that's been close in the last 30 years is Brian Leetch.

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 08-05-2017 at 11:34 PM.
SuperMatt18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 11:36 PM   #183
Keselke
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Since this is the defacto thread for this tourney

I can't see what apparently the coaching and management staff see in Dubois.

He has always been underwhelming when I've seen him internationally. He was the worst player on the top line pp, killed several possessions on his own in late critical pps. He is consistently getting top tier minutes and opportunities

Maybe I've just seen a few bad games, just don't see it

I am so fulfilled with many things in my life that it would be pathetic to seek schadenfreude over something as silly as a sports game.
Keselke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 12:21 AM   #184
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Fox is good friends with Tkachuk and Parsons for whatever that's worth. Yes the flames D is stacked right now but Dmen don't step in right away anyways and Stone and Hamonic have 2 years left on their deals after this season making spots possibly availibleI don't think it's as big of a no-brainer as the poster a few pages back made it seem. He's also attended development camp I believe. Fox continues to progress and I could see the Flames trading Kylington. I love Kylingtons tools but when you watch Fox play you just see how much higher of an IQ Fox has compared to Kylington. One of the young Dmen on the Flames will have to get moved if Fox does jump up the prospect list in the eyes of management

Last edited by Beninho; 08-06-2017 at 12:27 AM.
Beninho is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Beninho For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2017, 05:21 AM   #185
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I'm sure Gaudreau will play a part in the Adam Fox recruitment as well.
Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 06:43 AM   #186
Flamescuprun2018
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
^ The correct CBA reference for Fox leaving college early is section 8.6 c (ii) as Fox was drafted at 18 and became a college player before the first June 1 following his selection:

http://www.nhl.com/nhl/en/v3/ext/CBA...A_2013_CBA.pdf

so essentially if he leaves college early Flames will hold his rights until the later of June 1st, 2020 or 30 days after he stops being a college student. The caveat being that if he leaves school early in his 4th year after January 1st then the team will still retain his rights until August 15, 2020.
It still sounds from that rule that the 30 day loophole only is an option if he quits school during the 4th college year. Leaving college after the 2nd or 3rd year does not allow for the 30 day rule. If that is the case I think we are fine as we will have post 2nd college year and post 3rd year to get him signed. I doubt with that skill he remains in college the full four years if he keeps up with his current trajectory.

"and the Player: (1) is in his fourth year of college and has commenced his fourth year of NCAA eligibility, or (2) is in his fourth year of college and is scheduled to graduate from college at the end of his fourth year, then in the
circumstances described in (1) or (2), the Club shall retain the exclusive
right of negotiation for such Player's services through and including the
August 15 following the date on which he ceases to be a bona fide college
student."
Flamescuprun2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 06:44 AM   #187
Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Fox's development arc is beginning to remind me of Gaudreau's.
Old 08-06-2017, 07:06 AM   #188
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamescuprun2018 View Post
It still sounds from that rule that the 30 day loophole only is an option if he quits school during the 4th college year. Leaving college after the 2nd or 3rd year does not allow for the 30 day rule. If that is the case I think we are fine as we will have post 2nd college year and post 3rd year to get him signed. I doubt with that skill he remains in college the full four years if he keeps up with his current trajectory.
No not really. 30 day notice doesn't really apply to Fox.

If he quits school in his 2nd or 3rd year, June 1, 2020 will be later than the 30 days he gives notice.

If he quits school in his 4th year before January 1, 2020. June 1, 2020 will still be later than the 30 days he gives notice.

If he quits school in his 4th year after January 1, 2020 then the team will hold his rights until August 15, 2020.

Mike Reilly is a different situation because he didn't go into college right after being drafted. He played one year in the BCHL. When he gave notice he was in his 3rd year of college and it was more than 4 years after he was being drafted. That is why the 30 day thing was in effect for him.

Last edited by sureLoss; 08-06-2017 at 07:13 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2017, 07:11 AM   #189
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Fox will get signed next spring or summer. There is no way the Flames are going to let a player with that much upside go full Hickey on them.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 10:40 AM   #190
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Adam Kimelman of NHL.com's 10 players who impressed at the Summer Showcase
https://www.nhl.com/news/top-players...?tid=281266438

No surprise that Fox and Valimaki made the list. Phillips gets an honourable mention.

Interesting trivia: Kyrou was selected by St. Louis with the pick they acquired from the Flames in the Brian Elliott trade.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2017, 10:53 AM   #191
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

So three Flames prospects mentioned, but none of the 10 Oilers prospects eligible for camps. Gotta like that.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2017, 11:33 AM   #192
Bourque's Twin
First Line Centre

Exp:

I hope Valimaki gets an opportunity to play with Giordano this pre season. He's going to an important player for the Flames.
Bourque's Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 11:49 AM   #193
JFK
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourque's Twin View Post
I hope Valimaki gets an opportunity to play with Giordano this pre season. He's going to an important player for the Flames.
I hope they get a chance to interact, practice together, take part in drills together but the Flames need to have their D pairings working out of the gate this season, not the mess it was last. The experimenting, tinkering etc went on far too long out of preseason and into the regular season last year, we can't afford to get that behind the 8 ball again.

Which is also why unless Valimaki blows the effen roof off we don't need the whole 9 game stint thing either. Get our pairings down, get our extras down and have things solidified. It's easy to hide a forward and give him an audition, almost impossible to do that on defense.

Giordano, Hamilton, Brodie, Hamonic, Stone.. then guys like Kulak, Wotherspoon, Kylington, Andersson already pushing for spots. That allows guys to develop. Valimaki has one more year of junior left, let him go and dominate, captain the world juniors, be a force there.
JFK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to JFK For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2017, 11:54 AM   #194
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Fox is so amazing as the QB on the power play, the reads he makes and calmness at the point is something that is very unique. When your hear the words Special and elite being lauded to a 3rd round pick a year after his draft you gotta give major kudos to the Flames scouting staff. Look forward to watching this guy at the WJC.
Beninho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 11:55 AM   #195
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
So three Flames prospects mentioned, but none of the 10 Oilers prospects eligible for camps. Gotta like that.
Brady Tkachuk mentioned too

btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2017, 12:00 PM   #196
bdubbs
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I don't know how the Flames will draft Brady Tkachuk after winning the cup this year, but Treliving is a wizard so I trust in management to make this happen ASAP!
bdubbs is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bdubbs For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2017, 12:53 PM   #197
savardandjokinen
son of looooob

Exp:

Valimaki is special, I thought he should've been number 1 in our prospect rankings however he wasn't probably due to the fact we didn't know much about him. I see him in the NHL foresure by 2019-20, maybe even in 2018-19
savardandjokinen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 01:22 PM   #198
Rick M.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFK View Post
I hope they get a chance to interact, practice together, take part in drills together but the Flames need to have their D pairings working out of the gate this season, not the mess it was last. The experimenting, tinkering etc went on far too long out of preseason and into the regular season last year, we can't afford to get that behind the 8 ball again.

Which is also why unless Valimaki blows the effen roof off we don't need the whole 9 game stint thing either. Get our pairings down, get our extras down and have things solidified. It's easy to hide a forward and give him an audition, almost impossible to do that on defense.

Giordano, Hamilton, Brodie, Hamonic, Stone.. then guys like Kulak, Wotherspoon, Kylington, Andersson already pushing for spots. That allows guys to develop. Valimaki has one more year of junior left, let him go and dominate, captain the world juniors, be a force there.
The coach didn't know his players going into training camp last season, hence the tinkering. I think there will be a lot less of that this year.
Rick M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 02:23 PM   #199
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just a quick reminder of the 2016 draft...

#6... Tkachuk
#54.. Parsons
#56.. Dube
#66.. Fox
#96.. Lindstrom
#126 Tuulola
#166 Phillips
#186 Falkovsky

un-fricking-real
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 02:35 PM   #200
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Just a quick reminder of the 2016 draft...

#6... Tkachuk
#54.. Parsons
#56.. Dube
#66.. Fox
#96.. Lindstrom
#126 Tuulola
#166 Phillips
#186 Falkovsky

un-fricking-real
It's actually kind of hard to wrap you head around the fact that all of these guys were just drafted a little over a year ago. It seems like we're tracking like three years worth of guys with this list.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post: