The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2016, 11:17 AM   #2
genetic_phreek
First Line Centre

Exp:
icon57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
I know its a trade speculation thread and all, but can someone give me a genuine reason why the Stars would trade him?
Stars want to win the cup.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to genetic_phreek For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2016, 11:19 AM   #3
DionTheDman
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I guess it's a move akin to our Brett Hull trade?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DionTheDman For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2016, 11:19 AM   #4
IgiTang
Self-Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by saillias View Post
My main concern with Russians is that we don't have any in the org that I know of - just one draft pick who's been blowing off the summer dev camp for 2 years. A lone Nichushkin might be kind of ronery, might be hard to adjust.
We have some Europeans in the system so he wouldn't be the only non-north American. I think with the fact that hockey is such an international game, being the only Russian wouldn't be necessarily a negative. Heck, it could be argued that it's a positive since they like to be "the guy" so to speak.
Old 02-12-2016, 11:21 AM   #5
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by genetic_phreek View Post
Jim Nill can't get Hudler/Russell level talent for less than a top 10 pick?

I don't see it.
Old 02-12-2016, 11:21 AM   #6
IgiTang
Self-Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
Jim Nill can't get Hudler/Russell level talent for less than a top 10 pick?

I don't see it.
NM. Misread your post.
Old 02-12-2016, 11:21 AM   #7
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Husky View Post
Don't agree. The quality of linemates have fallen. Paired with gaudreau I see him getting back to 90+ points which he has done multiple times.

But for 10 million that's a different story as it'll hurt team cap.
For $10 million, the player should be driving his own line and shouldn't rely on others to put up good numbers.

If Stamkos needs St. Louis to set him up for tap ins, he's not a $10 million player.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2016, 11:22 AM   #8
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by genetic_phreek View Post
Then you'd think they'd offer up a 1st rather than a young top prospect thats NHL tested and would contribute to that cup run. But I did get an answer and I appreciate that. Teams have done weirder trades than that.
Old 02-12-2016, 11:25 AM   #9
genetic_phreek
First Line Centre

Exp:
icon57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
Then you'd think they'd offer up a 1st rather than a young top prospect thats NHL tested and would contribute to that cup run. But I did get an answer and I appreciate that. Teams have done weirder trades than that.
That's the thing, Russell is already supposedly a sought after UFA so some teams might already give up a 1st for him alone. Then you add Hudler which should be worth a 2nd. So hypothetically, it's like a late 1st and a 2nd for Nichushkin. I think that's still a fair trade.

Last edited by genetic_phreek; 02-12-2016 at 11:28 AM.
Old 02-12-2016, 11:28 AM   #10
Demetric
Scoring Winger

Exp:

some dialog froma Stars board:

Quote:
Poster 1: But I bet the organization is very disappointed. Nichushkin is barely producing offense (whether measured in points or chances), he hasn't played well enough to secure a regular line, and he hasn't played well enough to even get second unit PP time. I don't believe for one second the organization is totally satisfied.

Poster 2: Yeah there is no way they are totally satisfied. I mean i've been a Val fan since day 1 and it's frustrating at times to see him be so inconsistent this year. Doesn't mean I think he's gonna bust though. He is still 20, and the way I see it, he's having a sophmore slump. I still see him as a future top 6 winger who can still reach his potential. It's still way too early to tell. Patience is a virtue. I mean afterall, his road to get to where he is today hasn't been exactly easy compared to the norm that most young kids go through in their first 2-3 years.
Old 02-12-2016, 11:43 AM   #11
Phanuthier
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClubFlames View Post
On The Score app they have a article on 4 trades they'd like to see with one of them being

To Stars: Kris Russell and Jiri Hudler
To Flames: Valeri Nichushkin
I'm laughing when I see this, but it makes sense.

Russell - worth 2nd round pick + 3rd maybe?
Hudler - same

Does Dallas want to move Nichuskin? Worth 2 2nd's and a 3rd? Maybe?

Funny though but I can see it. Sold.
Old 02-12-2016, 12:07 PM   #12
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can't tell you how happy I am that Calgary being linked (however tenuously through speculation) to Nichushkin is coming from an outside source. How quickly this would be shot down as homerism if it surfaced organically here.

He would be ahead of Drouin on my wishlist. I would throw in Kulak and a 3rd for Nichkushkin and their two worst AHL contracts without a moments hesitation, just so the Stars are guaranteed value past this year.
Old 02-12-2016, 12:08 PM   #13
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire of the Phoenix View Post
He's too up and down for my tastes. He's been in the league for 6 years, 3 have been good, 3 have been poor. He's never even played 40 games either, I'm not interested in picking up a 1B/backup type, unless it's for cheap. He's been very good this season, so the amount of money and term he will command will be too much, I just don't think he'll be worth it.
I started getting curious about this again, so thought I'd get a pulse on Leaf land. In a cap conversation in January, a fan suggested "James Reimer was signed as a UFA for 3 years at $3,000,000." and none of the comments are blasting this.
https://www.capfriendly.com/forums/thread/10550

Not to say that these fans (or fans in general really) have a clue, but at least some optimism to garner. I'm A-OK with Reimer at $3,000,000.
Old 02-12-2016, 12:10 PM   #14
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nichushkin is a really good 'buy-low' young player with great upside, and who checks off a lot of what the Flames need.

Big? Check
Fast? Check
Good in the corners and on the cycle? Check
Good defensively? Check (for a 20 year old, he is surprisingly really good, albeit inconsistent).

He essentially lost a developmental year to injury. That is a risk. Sometimes you can't make up for it, and the ceiling gets lowered. Still, it isn't impossible for him to become a really good power-forward in this league that could really balance a line with Gaudreau.

I totally would support a Hudler + Russell for Nichushkin. Risky trade for both sides (Nichushkin may never develop, Hudler and Russell walk as UFAs) but I think from the Flames' standpoint, it is a risk worth taking. It is incredibly difficult in this league to acquire players with size who are also skilled.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2016, 12:14 PM   #15
Fire of the Phoenix
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Split98 View Post
I started getting curious about this again, so thought I'd get a pulse on Leaf land. In a cap conversation in January, a fan suggested "James Reimer was signed as a UFA for 3 years at $3,000,000." and none of the comments are blasting this.
https://www.capfriendly.com/forums/thread/10550

Not to say that these fans (or fans in general really) have a clue, but at least some optimism to garner. I'm A-OK with Reimer at $3,000,000.
$3m for 3 years would be great and I would be on board with that. I think he will get $4.5m+ though, probably for 4-5 years. He's poised to cash in on a great year if he keeps it up and gets his GP close to 50.
Old 02-12-2016, 12:20 PM   #16
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClubFlames View Post
On The Score app they have a article on 4 trades they'd like to see with one of them being

To Stars: Kris Russell and Jiri Hudler
To Flames: Valeri Nichushkin
I'd pee.
Old 02-12-2016, 12:21 PM   #17
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire of the Phoenix View Post
$3m for 3 years would be great and I would be on board with that. I think he will get $4.5m+ though, probably for 4-5 years. He's poised to cash in on a great year if he keeps it up and gets his GP close to 50.
I fear the same. I'm not 100% against $4.5+ for Reimer, as I really like him.

But $3 is a no-risk IMO. Was just curious as to what fans who think about Reimers contract more than I do thought he would be worth going forward. Them talking about $3/3 is something I can get excited over.
Old 02-12-2016, 12:21 PM   #18
Demetric
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post
Nichushkin is a really good 'buy-low' young player with great upside, and who checks off a lot of what the Flames need.

Big? Check
Fast? Check
Good in the corners and on the cycle? Check
Good defensively? Check (for a 20 year old, he is surprisingly really good, albeit inconsistent).

He essentially lost a developmental year to injury. That is a risk. Sometimes you can't make up for it, and the ceiling gets lowered. Still, it isn't impossible for him to become a really good power-forward in this league that could really balance a line with Gaudreau.

I totally would support a Hudler + Russell for Nichushkin. Risky trade for both sides (Nichushkin may never develop, Hudler and Russell walk as UFAs) but I think from the Flames' standpoint, it is a risk worth taking. It is incredibly difficult in this league to acquire players with size who are also skilled.
With how good this could be for us I am going to be so disappointed when it does not happen
Old 02-12-2016, 12:27 PM   #19
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demetric View Post
With how good this could be for us I am going to be so disappointed when it does not happen
I don't think it will happen - I just can't see the 10th overall pick who some scouts were saying had a higher ceiling than Barkov would be traded for 2 UFAs, even though his value is probably not as high as during the draft. I just don't see it personally, so I will not be disappointed if it doesn't happen.

I am just glad Treliving is such a proactive GM. You have to figure that if Nuke really is being shopped, that Treliving already knows about it and what the ballpark of Nil's expectations are in terms of a return.
The Following User Says Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2016, 12:33 PM   #20
herashak
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

nichuskin isnt getting traded for hudler + russell
Closed Thread